PDA

View Full Version : Glock recoil?

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
07-23-2010, 5:51 PM
So I got to shoot a Glock 17C the other day, I was shooting 124 gr. loads. The recoil was so harsh that I couldn't hit a thing. My uncle who was with me told me that it felt like 1911. Is recoil like this normal for a glock?

STRT RACR
07-23-2010, 6:34 PM
I've only shot a glock one time but it snapped my wrist back really hard, a lot harder than my 1911, I really don't like glocks now.

mif_slim
07-23-2010, 6:39 PM
if a pistol recoil kicks your butt then your just holding the pistol wrong. if not them you just need more practice.

JonM
07-23-2010, 6:42 PM
I do not have a Glock but I do shoot another polymer gun. On the basis of weight alone it would make sense that a Glock would recoil a bit more than a steel framed gun of the same caliber. A CZ 75B is in the 35 oz range I believe, and the Sig p226 is around 30-32 oz. A Glock 19 weighs just about 20 oz. All of the mentioned guns are in 9mm, but that Glock 19 weighs a good 10 to 15 oz less. Naturally it will have more recoil. I think a Glock 17 is something around the 22 ounce mark or so. The 9mm I use is a Springfield XD, which weighs 28oz. To me it feels like a good compromise between weight and recoil. Many seem to love the 1911 because it has very controllable recoil for a 45. This is likely due to its 35 oz weight as well as its ergonomics, spring strengths, etc.

Turo
07-23-2010, 6:44 PM
So I got to shoot a Glock 17C the other day, I was shooting 124 gr. loads. The recoil was so harsh that I couldn't hit a thing. My uncle who was with me told me that it felt like 1911. Is recoil like this normal for a glock?

A general rule of thumb is that the more massive (more mass means more weight) it is, the less felt recoil there is. Since Glocks are made of mostly polymer, they have generally more felt recoil than a steel pistol like a 1911.

That said, I can shoot my glock 27 (in 40S&W) all day long and not have a problem with recoil. That 17C shouldn't be that harsh recoil-wise. It will recoil more than a similar steel pistol, like a Beretta 92, but 9mm recoil is generally pretty tame.

You could do some wrist exercises to strengthen your forearms, because it seems that you don't have the muscle to handle the recoil. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it takes some forearm strength to handle recoil.

Blademan21
07-23-2010, 6:49 PM

A Glock 17C with harsh recoil:rolleyes:. Sounds like you were holding it wrong or you need to leave the G17c for your sister to shoot. That handgun was designed to have less recoil to stay on target. I am flaming you cause it may not have been the G17C, just that you are not used to the recoil. Sounds like you also need to practice more. :D

NotEnoughGuns
07-23-2010, 7:01 PM
Maybe you should try a 22LR

Noah3683
07-23-2010, 7:05 PM
Maybe you should try a 22LR
This..... If a 17C is too harsh, there is a serious problem

The Sauce
07-23-2010, 7:06 PM
My GF shoots nice center mass groups with my G19 non-c...but she really likes her Mosquito.

Just sayin'...

willm952
07-23-2010, 7:25 PM
17c is the ported model if I'm not mistaken. there shouldn't be any kick on a ported barrel especially a 9mm. have you checked your grip and locked your wrist. if it seems like the gun is breaking your wrist then you're probably limp wristing. just trying to help. 1911 have recoil but its very smooth on 45acp. I've also shot 10mm on 1911 more kick but still smooth.

for comparison I shot a glock 21sf 45acp and my fnp40 (plastic frame), definitely more kick on my fnp40, but that's the 40cal round. glocks do have more recoil then even hk. try a regular glock 17 and the glock 17c together if you can. 17c should feel much better.
also not much difference between 115gn and 124gn 9mm.

hope this helps

coq
07-23-2010, 7:44 PM
I clicked on this thread for a laugh because I thought it had to be a joke. 9mm recoil? Really?

HighLander51
07-23-2010, 7:45 PM
It's only gun weight and cartridge power. A 25lb .22LR will have no 'apparent' recoil, but a 50BMG derringer will have severe felt recoil. Always get the largest frame gun in the caliber that YOU can manage. That may be a .32acp or a 44 mag, it's your choice. But saying a G17C is has recoil, no, that's all about stance and grip..

Buddhabelly
07-23-2010, 7:48 PM
A general rule of thumb is that the more massive (more mass means more weight) it is, the less felt recoil there is. Since Glocks are made of mostly polymer, they have generally more felt recoil than a steel pistol like a 1911.

That said, I can shoot my glock 27 (in 40S&W) all day long and not have a problem with recoil. That 17C shouldn't be that harsh recoil-wise. It will recoil more than a similar steel pistol, like a Beretta 92, but 9mm recoil is generally pretty tame.

You could do some wrist exercises to strengthen your forearms, because it seems that you don't have the muscle to handle the recoil. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it takes some forearm strength to handle recoil.

It's not a general rule of thumb, it's physics.

TURBOELKY
07-23-2010, 7:52 PM
The more recoil, the more fun, thats my "rule of thumb"!:D
Try it one handed....

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
07-23-2010, 8:27 PM
Alright. I have narrowed it down to the grip, I went out tonight again, and it was fine. I was shooting 115 gr. and I changed my grip.

ROTC sniper
07-23-2010, 8:28 PM
I was going to say...for a guy who handles 12g shotguns and shoots trap, should have the strength to shoot a pistol correctly. :D

JJ1911
07-23-2010, 8:50 PM
Even with a polymer gun, a 9mm should not be kicking that badly. Try having an instructor watch you shoot, and go from there.

SxB
07-23-2010, 9:13 PM
I own a glock 17 and it's the softest recoiling gun I own minus a couple .22's

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
07-23-2010, 9:54 PM
I was going to say...for a guy who handles 12g shotguns and shoots trap, should have the strength to shoot a pistol correctly. :D

Haha. My uncle showed my how to grip in correctly, I was hitting 3 inch steel discs at 15 yards.

evidens83
07-23-2010, 9:56 PM
9mm recoil?? Pshhhhh :p

NorCalMama
07-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Ok, now maybe I'm having a total mental block, but recoil only happens after the shot is fired, so how would it affect your hitting the target?

I have a 19, so I can't speak for the 17, but I know that the recoil on mine is fine. Not too harsh, although I typically shoot 115 gr, so that may have something to do with it.

Have you taken lessons? Maybe there's something in your stance or grip that is off... wouldn't hurt to have someone give you advice after watching you shoot to let you know exactly what is wrong.

Ultimate
07-23-2010, 10:47 PM
9mm glocks are really tame. And common 1911s are even more so imo.

Hornetsnest
07-24-2010, 7:22 AM
Ok, now maybe I'm having a total mental block, but recoil only happens after the shot is fired, so how would it affect your hitting the target?
It will affect how he hits targets if he is anticipating the recoil.

Its not really the recoil itself that throws the shots off. Its the shooters percieved need to compensate for that recoil as the trigger breaks and the shot is fired. At the last second, they push the barrel down to try and fight the recoil or raise the barrel up to try and go with the recoil...instead of just accepting the recoil and letting the shot "surprise" them.

Consistant practice with a decent coach can help break the habit.

mhho
07-24-2010, 7:33 AM
9mm recoil?? Pshhhhh :p

It could happen.

Someone better warn Janelle before it happens again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9KS4SARBY