PDA

View Full Version : Manual rangefinders? ( the ones that use mirrors )

HondaMasterTech
07-23-2010, 5:42 PM
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm interested in a rangefinder that doesn't use batteries. Also, where the heck would I buy one?

CSACANNONEER
07-23-2010, 5:44 PM
What kind of accuracy are you looking for? Just get good at measuring by stadia. Then you won't need any special equipment at all.

HondaMasterTech
07-24-2010, 2:43 PM
The only place I've been able to find manual rangefinders is on eBay.

How about these? Binoculars with internal rangefinder. Have experience with this type of rangefinder?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barska-7x50-WP-Deep-Sea-Binoculars-with-Internal-Rangefinder-and-Compass-Individual-Focus-FLOATS-FMC-Blue-Lens/12396401

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 3:05 PM
Those look like binos with an electronic range finder built in. So, they are not what you want. How acurate do you need to be? Seriously, if you are just looking for something for shooting, +/- 20-30 yards should not be a big deal. If you can accept that type of accuracy, just learn how to measure distance by stadia. You can do it with nothing more than knowing a little math, knowing how long your thumb is, knowing the distance from your thumb to your eye and knowing the hieght of your target. If you want to be a bit more accurate, you can use a short tape measure instead of your thumb.

Matt P
07-24-2010, 8:49 PM
I have a manual one.. I have checked it at the ranges it shows once you dial in the two images to one. Pretty simple concept, but due to the short range it measures, I can do that with just my eyes.
You dont say what distances you want to be able to read. This may help in be able to determine what direction to possibly send you in.

HondaMasterTech
07-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Just looking for one that doesn't use batteries. If the paralax isn't enough to make a few hundred yards readable I suppose I'm SOL. Unless I want to make one 10 feet wide. But that would be hard to fit in my pocket!

Spyder
07-31-2010, 3:37 PM
Funny you should mention that. I used one for the first time just a few weeks ago. My step dad pulled one out of his range bag and I asked what it was. We screwed around with it and it was pretty accurate all the way to the end of where it had readings, at 800 yards! No clue where to find one though.