PDA

View Full Version : You ever have one of those moments...

scidx
07-23-2010, 2:46 PM
This is a quick story of an incident where I felt like a douche; of which, I've recently been reminded.

I took my first trip to Rocklin's Sportsman's Warehouse to buy a S&W 66 off a fellow calgunner. (It cleaned up nice and shoots great. Thanks Matt.) I met the seller on a weekday afternoon after work. I live about an hour away, so I left directly from work. Given the situation, I was still in uniform. I arrived a bit faster than I thought I would, so I started browsing.
I was admiring some awesome prices on bulk brass when a gentleman and his son stopped next to me, facing my direction. I heard the dad say to his son, "Say Thank you." I turned to face them and the little boy said, "Thank you, sir."
I have never had someone say this to me without an audience. I hear people say thank you to the military in every public facet available, but not one-on-one, on a personal level; and I did not expect it here. I didn't know what to say. I hesitated for a moment, and said, "You're welcome."

What?! You're welcome?! To make things even more awkward, the dad repeated, "Thank you for your service." I, being flustered at my own response, said: of course, "You're welcome."

First of all, the only people that deserve to say: "You're welcome." are the ones that didn't make it back.

They walked away, and I walked away; muttering to myself, "You're welcome? What was that?"

If that person is, by chance, reading this; what I meant to say was: Thank you. Thank you for your support of my fellow uniform wearing brothers and sisters. And, thank you to all those like you who are teaching their children to be greatful for others. By others, I'm talking about service men and women of which I am also thankful.

mattymatt
07-23-2010, 2:58 PM
Don't feel bad, I've done the same thing. Sometimes I'll wear something or mention I was in the Army and on a few occasions people have said "thank you for your service". Even after a couple different times I still don't know how to respond properly. I always plan on saying "Thank you for the support" but it never comes out right or I say the old "uh you're welcome".

It's funny because I always make it a point to say it to other veterans or active duty military and I usually get the same flustered responses back. The only ones who don't get like that are usually the older Vietnam, Korean, or WWII vets, but for some reason the guys under 40 yrs old (like myself) don't quite know how to respond.

Beelzy
07-23-2010, 3:02 PM
Meh, you'll get the hang of it. One is supposed to acknowledge with a slight dip of the head.

Thank You! :thumbsup:

Purple K
07-23-2010, 3:15 PM
This is a quick story of an incident where I felt like a douche; of which, I've recently been reminded.

I took my first trip to Rocklin's Sportsman's Warehouse to buy a S&W 66 off a fellow calgunner. (It cleaned up nice and shoots great. Thanks Matt.) I met the seller on a weekday afternoon after work. I live about an hour away, so I left directly from work. Given the situation, I was still in uniform. I arrived a bit faster than I thought I would, so I started browsing.
I was admiring some awesome prices on bulk brass when a gentleman and his son stopped next to me, facing my direction. I heard the dad say to his son, "Say Thank you." I turned to face them and the little boy said, "Thank you, sir."
I have never had someone say this to me without an audience. I hear people say thank you to the military in every public facet available, but not one-on-one, on a personal level; and I did not expect it here. I didn't know what to say. I hesitated for a moment, and said, "You're welcome."

What?! You're welcome?! To make things even more awkward, the dad repeated, "Thank you for your service." I, being flustered at my own response, said: of course, "You're welcome."

First of all, the only people that deserve to say: "You're welcome." are the ones that didn't make it back.

They walked away, and I walked away; muttering to myself, "You're welcome? What was that?"

If that person is, by chance, reading this; what I meant to say was: Thank you. Thank you for your support of my fellow uniform wearing brothers and sisters. And, thank you to all those like you who are teaching their children to be greatful for others. By others, I'm talking about service men and women of which I am also thankful.

I've never felt the least bit slighted by the Thank You's that I've recieved when I've offered a "Thank You for serving" The sincere look on their faces spoke volumes. You're NOT a douche!

Turbinator
07-24-2010, 7:35 AM
I've never felt the least bit slighted by the Thank You's that I've recieved when I've offered a "Thank You for serving" The sincere look on their faces spoke volumes. You're NOT a douche!

Yup - I didn't think the flustered response was douchey in the least. If anything, it shows humility and suggests that the serving is being done not for selfish reasons (e.g. to elicit respect and attention).

I'll add to it here - thank you guys for keeping us safe and free.

Turby

ir0nclash86
07-24-2010, 9:56 AM
Lol i say, youre welcome , all the time too. I thought i was the only one who got nervous and panicked on what to say. I know a few times i just shook their hand with smile on my face and nodding then said take care. when i walk away i always go over in my head what i shouldve said too but lol someone else comes up and i say youre welcome again lol.

Donny1
07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

I don't understand why it feels wrong to say "You're welcome".

I have never served but just joining the military you know you may be put in harms way. That is enough in my eyes. It's not like you think to yourself that you will never be in a conflict. You always know the possibility is there. That is a true sacrifice in itself. Just because you came back doesn't mean you didn't contribute to the effort. Every job has the same importance to me, the beneficiary. Let's always hope that the majority of troops come back. If all the ones that do feel this way than we are are left with former soldiers feeling like they don't deserve to be here, don't deserve to be alive and spend the rest of their lives feeling guilty, and that sucks.

I have a good friend that has been to Afghanistan & Iraq, three trips in total. I can see the stress it has caused increase with every trip. No one can tell me he hasn't paid his price.

The job cannot be done without everyone. Be proud because I and anyone who is not a moron are very proud of the job you do.

Regulus
07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't think "You're welcome" is an inappropriate response.

To follow it up with "Thank you for your support" is appropriate also.

Oh and Thank you.

bogeyshooter
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
You're not a douche - I've had my share of thank you's (USN) - folks out of uniform don't understand that we don't expect to be thanked for doing our duty and we get caught off guard when it happens. I often just smile and think about the guys in the sandbox or those who didn't come home. Look at it as a chance to remember our 'shipmates' who gave all.

Sajedene
07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
THANK YOU!

You will always have my support.

Fate
07-24-2010, 3:54 PM
When it's not in front of a lot of others, I often will say "thanks for your service" to the vets I meet. Especially the old breed. The WWII vets are becoming increasingly scarce. The Korea and Viet Nam vets deserve extra recognition in my book, for they did not return to the same sort of homecoming as the WWII guys.

Some are a bit flustered. Many of the older guys respond with "Thanks, I really appreciate you saying that," and get a far away look in their sometimes misty eyes. Others will follow up with a mention of those that never made it home, much like you did.

But almost all of them part with a smile on their face.

Thank YOU for your service as well. ;)

bruceflinch
07-24-2010, 4:01 PM
I love a good story where I'm not the douche...

& Thank You for your Service!