PDA

View Full Version : Glock vs 1911/2011

ArcLight
07-23-2010, 3:29 PM
I am in the market to build an open gun. I have been researching three platforms to start my open build. Glock, 1911, 2011. My question is can a Glock be comparatively accurate as a 1911/2011 if it had some modifications i.e. trigger, barrel, compensator etc etc. I know that 1911/2011 platform is by far the most popular for the open class particularly the 2011. I have searched for quite a bit to try and find a 2011 frame to start my build with however i do not want to spend $1000 for one (STI). So i have been thinking of building a glock with all the bells and whistles for greater accuracy. Bottom line will a Glock ever come close to a 1911/2011 as far as accuracy.

UserM4
07-23-2010, 3:34 PM
I think the saying goes something like, "It's the Indian, not the bow." or was it's the arrow?

ArcLight
07-23-2010, 3:36 PM
I think the saying goes something like, "It's the Indian, not the bow." or was it's the arrow?

Nice saying unfortunately that is not totally true.

Lethal_addict
07-23-2010, 3:45 PM
I owne both and i cant see the glock comparing to the 1911... at all. JMO

leelaw
07-23-2010, 4:27 PM
Nice saying unfortunately that is not totally true.

Actually with most modern pistols the gun is more accurate that the person shooting it.

For an open gun I'd go for something that will make the trigger pull lighter, cleaner, and break more crisply. The barrel is secondary to the trigger in most cases. The big difference you will find is the grip angle between a 1911 and Glock. For me, the Glock grip angle is bad because it does not point naturally, while a 1911 points perfectly. YMMV.

bn91205
07-23-2010, 5:10 PM
Bottom line will a Glock ever come close to a 1911/2011 as far as accuracy.

To answer your question, YES.

With the variety of parts and conversions available, an Open Glock is very competitive. Grips can be modified, triggers can be cleaned up and lightened. You will however, be limited in ammunition choices. The Glock magazines will limit the COAL to about 1.150" (1.145" is the happy medium), thus your choices in powder selection aren't many. It's all about finding the perfect load/parts combination which, in my opinion, makes shooting Open all the more fun - the technical aspect that is.

It might not be a 1911 or 2011 but in the right hands, a properly built/tuned Glock "heater" is very effective.

Brian

SxB
07-23-2010, 5:41 PM
Check out www.glockjockey.com
they build the the team Glock guns and claim sub 1 inch accuracy at 25 yards on the g17 open package. I was luckey enough to shoot one and I can say those guns are way more accurate than most of the people shooting them. Honestly, those 1911's and 2011's are nice but there very expensive. Some in the 5000 dollar neighborhood. Having a glock built for you for the open class, somewhere in the 2300 neighborhood.
Just my 2 cents.

mif_slim
07-23-2010, 5:51 PM
if it's for carry I say the glock if that's thebonly two plateform your looking in to. if your open for suggestion then the xd has the same grip as 1911 and there's also the m&p. I had glock 22, m&p40 and I still have the xd40. only reason is because it's my daily shooter gun. for carry I would carry the m&p hands down. smaller as in thinner and feels more comfortable while carrying. sold the glock because it didn't fit my hand well although a great shooter, I sold the m&p so I can buy a compact m&p which is in the process rift now.

like many have said it's not the gun but the shooter. you can give a 1" @ 50'yard handgun to a new shooter and get a 10" group at 15 feet

JTROKS
07-23-2010, 6:49 PM
It all depends on your preference. I'm too partial with the 1911, it's just my favorite from single stacks and barrels with bushings to hi-cap frames and bull barrels. As an open gun the 1911 has many advantages. The rails are beefier so when the top end wears out there is still lots of metal to fit the next slide. I have not shot my Glocks that much to observe what wears out after so many thousands of rounds, but I have with a Caspian hi-cap frame. The only thing needed to equip it with a new top end is to fit a slide with oversize rails, a new barrel and a compensator and it's ready to go again. The advantage of the Glock is the cheaper base gun, compare a $550 complete Glock to an $800 bare frame. The magazines for the 1911 hi caps are just outrageous in pricing. I really don't see how anyone can justify charging more than $50 for one magazine, and that's just the tube. It will take $100 to have one with the extra power spring, LimGramAreDP base pads and the high tech follower to go with it - and you need at least 5 to be ninja cool. I won't even go to the 170mm mags. Biggest factor being in California is availability. If you didn't race prior to the gun/mag ban then you're SOL. Yeah! You just lucked out, because someone left some hi-cap mags in the new house you're living in. There's always production and/or limited 10. So if you want to jump in the running gun sports as cheap as you can, the Glock is one of those platforms that will get you racing for less money. Is it competitive enough? Sure it is, just look at D. Sevigny he didn't need the compensators and red dots to get there. Woah! Jesse Abbate!!! Dayummmm!

randy
07-23-2010, 6:51 PM
How you are going to build a ca legal open glock?

JTROKS
07-23-2010, 6:59 PM
How you are going to build a ca legal open glock?

I missed that one. It will be hard to clean that gun when you can't take the barrel and the permanently attached compensator. Hmmmm... They've done it for the Witness guns I'm sure someone will come up with one for the Glock.

SxB
07-23-2010, 7:58 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
someone has figured it out.
www.glockjockey.com

1911Luvr
07-23-2010, 8:52 PM
It's funny this thread came up today- my friends and I went to the range today and as usual by buddy shot his Glock 22 and I shot my Springfield 1911 Loaded (among other things). Really loves his Glock but isn't the most accurate shooter with it, in fact if he shot a 5" group at 25 feet that would be pretty darn good for him with it. So I had him shoot my 1911, and all 8 rounds hit inside the 9 and 10 ring at 25 feet with a group of no more than 2.5". The kicker for me was watching him shoot, as he seemed so comfortable with it from his first shot- which incidentally hit dead bullseye. My other buddy, an experienced 1911 owner, shot all 8 rounds with it and it looked like he poked a hole in the target with a broomstick as it was a near perfect circle. My friend's son and nephew (both 17) also shot great groups having never shot a 1911 before and actually only shot a handgun less than a handful of times. Granted there are many good Glock shooters out there, and perhaps if you put both guns in a mechanical rest the Glock may come close to the 1911 for accuracy, but the 1911 just seems to me to be more intuitively accurate. I have shot many guns accurately, but in 20 years I have yet to fire a Glock to any consistent accuracy. All 5 of us shot my 1911 better than any one of us could shoot the Glock. Does that make it less accurate? Of course not, but it does say something about the intuitive feel the 1911 has with many people, and that WILL make you more accurate regardless of the gun.

As a side note, there may be a Glock 22 coming up for sale soon. My buddy is now pissed because he absolutely LOVED his Glock until he shot my Springer, and now he's seriously considering a trade or a sale so he can get his own 1911.

1911Luvr
07-23-2010, 8:54 PM
BTW- I'm curious how you can get a 2011 frame, or any frame for that matter, as I'm told frame only sales are illegal now in CA do to the inability to test the completed firearm.

Mstrty
07-23-2010, 9:05 PM
Not easy but is can be done. Like my brother has always told me. Nothin' a dose of cash cant fix"
Read this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=293066&highlight=sled)

JTROKS
07-23-2010, 9:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
someone has figured it out.
www.glockjockey.com

Yeah! This is straight from their website:

CA legal comp installation

This process eliminates the threaded barrel that the State of California has outlawed. These can be removed but are not designed to be removed. Damage to components may result from improper removal. Replaces comp install and barrel threading on non-CA packages or pistols SJC

Can anyone tell me more about this? I'm not trying to put down the Glock platform, in fact I have a Glock 35 w/ a LW 40-9 conversion that I really like due to the accuracy and ease of shootability. Yes I can't believe I'm saying that now, I can actually shoot my 1911s then pick up the Glock 35 and just shoot a couple of mag loads to get the muscle memory for the Glock grip angle, same way when I switch to the 1911. I also like my G23 and G27 and they are accurate for what I have them for.

JTROKS
07-23-2010, 9:13 PM
BTW- I'm curious how you can get a 2011 frame, or any frame for that matter, as I'm told frame only sales are illegal now in CA do to the inability to test the completed firearm.

Peeps that have the resources are using a single shot conversion top end. They have someone out of state assemble the frame into a complete single shot pistol making it exempt from being dropped. Send it to their local friendly FFL holder and then it starts a whole new transformation once the transfer is complete.

DaveFJ80
07-23-2010, 9:20 PM
Funny.... I was just shooting a G21SF and a RIA 1911 Tactical yesterday at the range, putting approx 150 rounds through each gun.

Bottom line will a Glock ever come close to a 1911/2011 as far as accuracy.

Overall, I shot the Glock more accurately. But then I'm used to the feel of it since I'm very accurate with my G19. I was off a lot more with the 1911, but for the last 50 shots my groupings were just as tight, if not tighter than the Glock.

Two totally different setups. Two totally different feeling in your hands. Two totally different guns. There's a lot more internal pieces that can be changed out or modified on a 1911. Both offer great returns, just depends on what you want out of it.

buffybuster
07-23-2010, 9:26 PM
I am in the market to build an open gun. I have been researching three platforms to start my open build. Glock, 1911, 2011. My question is can a Glock be comparatively accurate as a 1911/2011 if it had some modifications i.e. trigger, barrel, compensator etc etc. I know that 1911/2011 platform is by far the most popular for the open class particularly the 2011. I have searched for quite a bit to try and find a 2011 frame to start my build with however i do not want to spend $1000 for one (STI). So i have been thinking of building a glock with all the bells and whistles for greater accuracy. Bottom line will a Glock ever come close to a 1911/2011 as far as accuracy.

"Bottom line will a Glock ever come close to a 1911/2011 as far as accuracy"?

A well put together custom 1911/2011 is going to be more accurate than a tricked out custom Glock. The primary reason is EVERY component of the 1911/2011 is custom fitted together to minimum tolerances. No matter how "custom" you go with a Glock, you cannot do that. Conversely, the Glock will probably be less finicky (if it's built properly).

That said, both are more accurate than the shooter. So accuracy should not be the primary reason to pick a platform. Pick the one that you shoot better and feels better for you. Also I won't use cost as a reason either, since in the end, whichever platform you select, I'll guarantee you'll end up spending about the same amount of money...... that's just how it always works out.

Also, since this is on Open Class gun, you need to pick the optical sight, holster, etc that you want to use. That may be a factor on what platform with work best with it, depending on the mounts available or can be custom made. Remember everything is part of the system and you have to look at it in it's totality.

BTW have you seen this: http://www.barsto.com/barsto_guns.cfm?ID=BS40

It's on the "list" and once you take possession of it, Bar-sto will customize it whichever way you want it or have any good smith do it.....

randy
07-24-2010, 1:22 AM
Go to some IPSC matches put the word out you are looking for a frame/gun would be one option for you to get started.

Oh bring lots of cash.

There's a couple of members on here that have multiple frames in their safes.