PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to remove paint + scratches from revolver

rafael707
07-23-2010, 1:11 PM
colt official police .38 and at 1 point it had the blue finish on it, with a few minor sandpaper scrathes on it

Is there any way to remove the rest of the blue finish? I can settle with the steel or matte finish, or even bare metal finish.

Is there any way to remove the sand paper scratches on the revolver? the scratches are not deep if that helps any.

thanks guys

littlejake
07-23-2010, 1:32 PM
Paint will generally come off with laquer thinner.

Blue Wonder makes a blue removing product. I have not tried it. I'm sure there are other methods too.

http://www.bluewonder.us/Products.html

As for the scratches -- depends on how deep. Generally it requires disassembly and polishing. Or if you want a matte finish, glass bead blasting.

rafael707
07-23-2010, 2:08 PM
how about naval jelly? does that work? Are there any other cheap methods?

BillCA
07-23-2010, 2:25 PM
Unfortunately... no. Not easily.

Colt uses a special bluing formula to give Colt revolvers a unique appearance. And that formula has changed slightly over the years from the pre-war and early post-war carbona-like blue to a deeper, more lustriois bluing (used on Pythons, Troopers, 1911's, etc.).

You should also know that re-bluing or refinishing a gun decreases it's value to collectors. While your gun may have a few scratches and rate only 85%, a refinished gun will rate no better than 50% of the book value, even with a flawless new finish on it.

BillCA
07-23-2010, 2:30 PM
First off, if you want to have it refinished, let a shop do it.
The chemicals used to remove the old bluing are acidic and can cause injury if improperly handled. They can also be illegal to dump down the drain.

Bluing the gun the right way requires a "hot-blue tank" and time. Since you bought your gun at well below it's going price, you could have it reblued and recoup that cost if a non-collector bought it. A good rebluing job would cost between about $150 to $250.

Cold bluing products sold in gun shops are good for very small touch ups but they neither blend in very well nor do they hold up over time.

littlejake
07-23-2010, 5:09 PM
how about naval jelly? does that work? Are there any other cheap methods?

BTW -- Naval Jelly is for rust... and seldom used to remove rust from guns.