PDA

View Full Version : importing other off-list nonAR/nonAK rifles into CA...

bwiese
04-20-2006, 9:11 AM
There's another thread about folks wanting to import nonAR/nonAK guns into CA. Good!

I would again caution a "cleaner than Caesar's wife" standard on this. It'll be fine to import such a gun that is not defined as an assault weapon 'by features'.

But I really don't think a gun that cannot be made to operate in a reasonable fashion after being tweaked for CA should be imported. You always want a "path to legality", meaning the firearm should be able to somehow run in a somewhat reasonable fashion when not in a 12276.1-specified configuration. If you cannot, you shouldn't have it or deal with it.

If you have to cut yourself each time and it's a jam-o-matic or just can't run, a DA could possbily argue that there was no other reason to import the gun other than for its being an illegal AW. A gun attorney I spoke to in December [please don't play guessing games with his name] said this concept was important to consider.

So, to stay away from that, your options are...
gripless, no other evil features; detachable mags allowed;
fixed 10rd magazine: rifle should be loadable/usable (i.e., get to top of mag, no action blocking access);
manually cycled: semiauto gas parts removed/gas port closed; this also stops rifle from being described by 12276.1;

If you can't do any of the above, I wouldn't import it.

Remember, we want situations that DON'T require us to have a good defense, as you've already lost the game at that point (charges filed/lawyers needed): we want our off-list firearms to look good on first blush and not be too close to the line.

grammaton76
04-20-2006, 3:41 PM
If you have to cut yourself each time and it's a jam-o-matic or just can't run, a DA could possbily argue that there was no other reason to import the gun other than for its being an illegal AW. A gun attorney I spoke to in December [please don't play guessing games with his name] said this concept was important to consider.

Just to toss something out here - I've been shown a PTR-91, and aside from your fingers getting REALLY dirty when loading via the ejection port, it seems to be perfectly viable in a gripless configuration.