PDA

View Full Version : Bipod

Vash357
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
So I was sitting around thinking about various firearms purchases I want to make in the future, and was wondering if anyone had tried mounting a bi-pod to an MOE handguard?

I'm thinking way to far into the future on this, but anyhow, what I have right now is a 16" mid-length BCM 410SS upper I just got in the mail, and I was planning on getting a mid-length MOE handguard and a fixed rear sight, either a detachable carry handle or the Daniel Defense fixed sight, and that's probably going to be it for that rifle. Maybe a red dot at some point if I get fancy with it. However, I want to get a Remington 700 in .308 in the future, and I'm going to need a scope and I would like to get a bipod for it as well, but I don't want to have the rifle sitting around with no optics while I save up to buy some, so I'm planning on getting the optics and bipod for the R700 before buying the rifle, and just for grins and giggles I'll probably mount them to the AR temporarily while saving for the rifle.

So long story short, I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about attaching the bipod to the MOE. If I'm looking at things right, I'll have to get a short rail section and an adapter to mount the Harris as there's no sling swivel pre-installed. Is there a better way to go about that or is that pretty much it? Pros/cons with this setup is after I get done playing around with my "precision carbine" I can use the rail section to mount a forward grip or a flashlight or something, but I do end up with a $25 bipod adapter I'll probably never use again. Granted I've certainly wasted more money on stupider things in the past, but I do end up with an extra part. Anyhow, thoughts?

ETA: I'm planning on getting a Leupold VX-II, probably 3-9x40. I was also looking at a 3-9x50 VX-II as well for a bit more money, is the bigger diameter going to be worth it? And how what size rings should I get with one size or the other?

RobT2K
07-26-2010, 11:00 PM
For the bipod mount, if you don't plan on keeping it on your AR you could get a cheaper adapter, like this one:

Harris Bipod Adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Harris-Bipod-Rail-Adapter-Md/dp/B000KK95YC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280213871&sr=1-1)

Vash357
07-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tip, that'll help. Sounds like I've got everything I need then, except money of course, lol.

shooting4life
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
If you have the coin the atlas bipod is nice. I love mine, higher quality and great customer service compared to Harris (and should be tor the price)

santacruzstefan
07-30-2010, 8:39 PM
I bought a GG&G bipod for about $120 on ebay, $200 other places... its pretty sweet, but it mounts to a picatinny rail so that might not help you with the MOE handguard.

http://vtsupply.com/images/ggg_bipod.JPG