PDA

View Full Version : ***Official Deer Hunting Report Thread***

lewdogg21
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Well, somebody in here must have been doing some A-zone archery already.

Discuss where your going, what you saw, and report your hunts from A-zone to end of season Muzzleloader hunts here.

I'll be doing D3-5 Archery and Rifle. My anniversary vacation will wipe out everything but the first and last weekend of archery though. :o

WTSGDYBBR
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Any reports on Archery for X9b Thanks.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I will be in A-31 either sex. I will report back when I see anything but usually we see a bunch of does. I try not too take does until late season if I can get into range of one after all the rifle hunters have been up there.

rromeo
07-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I had four walk through my yard last night, including a huge buck. I could have taken him from my porch.

pieeater
07-23-2010, 1:15 PM
Late rains = big antler growth. A friend took a 5x6 Azone archery already that scored 140. I saw several bucks in the mid 140s to mid 150s in B zone. This will be one of the best years in a while for A and B zones. Not sure how the rains played out in the other zones.

makomyday
07-23-2010, 1:31 PM
Wow. I thought archery deer opened up on the 20th of next month?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-23-2010, 1:37 PM
It opens the fourth Saturday of September for A31.

pieeater
07-23-2010, 5:19 PM
A zone archery opens 2nd saturday of July up here.

Fireguy
07-23-2010, 7:12 PM
Anybody hunt C 4?

mif_slim
07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I will be giving a report soon, the area u go to Almost isn't worth tagging a deer.. their the size of my dog!

joefreas
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Anybody hunt C 4?

I'll be there opening day. My buddy lives in Chico and he has been scouting it out. Says lots of big bucks. I 've got some pig tags too-

professionalcoyotehunter
07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I seen 2 does yesterday on my way home. :D

Hunt
07-26-2010, 4:00 PM
I have my Jeep running good now and want to benefit from getting away from crowds in backcountry just trying to decide which zone.

Squashua
07-27-2010, 2:47 AM
i got a cabin in Trinity county "B2" its hard hunting.. i shot one last year... just a forkie :\ good meat though!

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-27-2010, 7:44 AM
I have my Jeep running good now and want to benefit from getting away from crowds in backcountry just trying to decide which zone.

That Jeep won't help you get away from the crowds.... only way to do that is to burn some boot leather.

pieeater
07-27-2010, 4:36 PM
i got a cabin in Trinity county "B2" its hard hunting.. i shot one last year... just a forkie :\ good meat though!

A lot of bears up there?

Squashua
07-27-2010, 4:38 PM
A lot of bears up there?

so many bear its insane!!!!!!

coder44mag
07-27-2010, 6:23 PM
This is my first year hunting, going straight for a buck in B1 near Covelo. I have an in-law who is going to help for opening weekend, he shoots deer every year in CA and/or Eastern Oregon.

I scouted out D3 near Bowman Lake, close to Jackson Meadows Reservoir this past weeken. Tons of people up there though. I'm thinking of hiking in towards the south-east side of the lake by the damn to get a buck, maybe during mid season.

I'm open to suggestions.

lewdogg21
08-08-2010, 6:27 AM
At my in-laws I counted 12 piles of black bear crap in the road from the main gate until their cabin. My understanding with blackies is that they can hammer the fawns in the spring but after that typically they aren't a major predator of deer (unlike cats). However I've seen so much bear sign in there part of me is wondering if that many bears is having a negative effect on the deer density in this small area since these are year round deer here except when the snows really hit (4800').

Deer sign is few and far between but I blame that on the ground that is as hard as concrete and it's very brushy due to a fire 18 years ago.

pieeater
08-08-2010, 7:00 AM
At my in-laws I counted 12 piles of black bear crap in the road from the main gate until their cabin. My understanding with blackies is that they can hammer the fawns in the spring but after that typically they aren't a major predator of deer (unlike cats). However I've seen so much bear sign in there part of me is wondering if that many bears is having a negative effect on the deer density in this small area since these are year round deer here except when the snows really hit (4800').

Deer sign is few and far between but I blame that on the ground that is as hard as concrete and it's very brushy due to a fire 18 years ago.

I think they get a few fawns thats probably it, I never see much animal hair in their crap . I hope your getting a bear tag. Are there a lot of hunters in the area? If so opening morning when the orange army is out shooting all the spikes might be a good time for bear. All those bodys in the woods will really push them around.

lewdogg21
08-08-2010, 8:39 AM
I think they get a few fawns thats probably it, I never see much animal hair in their crap . I hope your getting a bear tag. Are there a lot of hunters in the area? If so opening morning when the orange army is out shooting all the spikes might be a good time for bear. All those bodys in the woods will really push them around.

I just see lots of berries in the poo as everything else is unidentifiable. A couple times I was looking at it wondering if bigfoot exists b/c it was the size of a turkey serving tray. I have a bear tag. Where I hunt is adjacent to Sierra Pacific and private land so unless it's this one other guy and his friend I shouldn't see anyone (pot growers have been in the area previously) so unfortunately deer and bear won't get pushed around. Since this area has springs and thick ravines I think it can hold some monster bucks since they could live their whole lives and never deal with hunters. It's just so thick (think Alaskan jungle) that you can't get around so I'm going to still hunt last years logged areas and put a stand in this ravine that deer use to travel.

Hence why I'm sporting a .35 remington this year with 2-7x scope.

Now that I think about it I should post up on the property boundary and wait for the deer to come runnin on in. :D

Caviel
08-08-2010, 2:43 PM
Saw two forkies rutting near Lake Comanche.. Got within 8 yards of them

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 8:44 AM
unfortunately deer and bear won't get pushed around.

IMHO, there is nothing unfortunate about NOT having the game pushed around by a bunch of road hunters.

Barbarossa
08-09-2010, 9:06 AM
MJ,

Possibly heading to WY for their 10/1/10 opener. Last deer I saw was on a golf course.

chris
08-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Late rains = big antler growth. A friend took a 5x6 Azone archery already that scored 140. I saw several bucks in the mid 140s to mid 150s in B zone. This will be one of the best years in a while for A and B zones. Not sure how the rains played out in the other zones.

don't forget all the fires too. they play a great part in deer population.

Caviel
08-09-2010, 1:00 PM
Anybody going up to the Yolla Bollys or near Covelo?

Rusty_Buckhorn
08-09-2010, 1:25 PM
Saw two forkies rutting near Lake Comanche.. Got within 8 yards of them

a little early for them to be rutting.... about 2 months early ;)

lewdogg21
08-15-2010, 6:54 AM
I moved my stand yesterday (about 2 weeks after I should have) and we pull up on the quads, turn em off, start talking about whatever. After a good 2-3 minutes my FIL says "I see a deer". Sure enough there was a doe 50 yards down the ravine looking at us. Now I'm on a "Known" deer trail which says a lot since where I hunt the densities are pretty low (based upon my own recon of seeing very little trails and poo).

Just saw the weather forecast for next weekend... 87 in Sac. Oh man I really hope that holds. I won't get chased out of the stand by 9am like last year when it was something like 92* at that time.

Hrod8715
08-15-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm going to Covelo...who else?

coder44mag
08-16-2010, 9:47 AM
I'll be with a few people near Yolla Bolly and Leech Lake Mountain on opening weekend Sept 18.

Fireguy
08-16-2010, 3:04 PM
Sept 18th will be here soon, is it too late to start scouting now. When is it too late to scout?

lewdogg21
08-16-2010, 4:30 PM
Never too late to scout. You have a month so get out there but be advised Bow season hits Saturday for a lot of zones.

SLYoteBoy
08-16-2010, 8:42 PM
Didnt see much deer , sure a whole lot of poacher sign.

theseacow
08-16-2010, 9:53 PM
Didnt see much deer , sure a whole lot of poacher sign.

whats poacher sign?

SLYoteBoy
08-16-2010, 9:56 PM
dirty/filthy creatures. lower than fish****.

lewdogg21
08-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Spent about 4 hours in my stand today. Had a spike and doe walk right under me.

mschliebs
08-22-2010, 8:39 AM
dirty/filthy creatures. lower than fish****.

You saw Ted Nugent? Way cool !

Big Jake
08-22-2010, 9:29 AM
You saw Ted Nugent? Way cool !

LOL! :p

napahunter
08-22-2010, 4:00 PM
Saw 2 spikes, and 3 forkies last Thursday. One should of been down.Oh well. headed out Monday night till Thursday!

HAVOC5150
08-23-2010, 1:08 PM
I've been hunting on a ranch just outside of Vacaville, I have seen a lot of deer. I saw a really big forked horn on Sunday, and see a lot of does everyday. On opening day I saw some really big bucks at about 7 am they were to far away to take a shot and just crossed from our ranch to my friends uncle's ranch. I have been seeing at least 1 shooter a day but, got 35 more days of A zone left and I'm not going to burn my second tag on a forked horn.

VTRweasel
08-23-2010, 1:17 PM
MJ,
Last deer I saw was on a golf course.

:rofl2: Last one I saw was in the Santa Cruz mountains. Almost took it out with my bike.

I'd like to try archery but I'm way out of practice. The last thing I want to do is wound a deer and lose it.

lewdogg21
08-23-2010, 6:40 PM
Where's the report from pieeater and fjold. Those guys should have 2 B&C bucks down already. :P

theseacow
08-23-2010, 9:12 PM
Where's the report from pieeater and fjold. Those guys should have 2 B&C bucks down already. :P

pie is too busy helping his buddies kill world record tule elk as well as record a-zone bucks (seriously).

I'm looking forward to the oregon deer season, since i have a pile of tags to burn up there. i filled 1 kali buck tag already and im currently scouting out a decent size second buck.

professionalcoyotehunter
08-24-2010, 1:11 PM
Spotted these on my way home from work last night. they are less than a mile from where I bow hunt. These were actually in D-11 so they are not as rare as you think.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp65/professionalcoyotehunter/Hunting/DSC00720.jpg

coder44mag
08-24-2010, 1:16 PM
I was jeeping this past weekend in D5, and we had already passed all of the bow hunters, when we drove up on deer twice -- each time the deer were about 50 yards in front of us. The first occurrence were 3 doe who saw us, then ran away after a few seconds. We stopped and I found a doe bed near the road. It was a 3x5ft shaded area in grass/bushy area. The second occurrence were 3 or 4 doe who ran away, but my friend said one was a buck.

As a first time centerfire hunter this season, would this be a great sign of areas to scout??

Thanks

professionalcoyotehunter
08-24-2010, 1:23 PM
Sounds like a very good indication there will be a buck around them soon. too bad the season is not during the rut anymore.:(

lewdogg21
08-24-2010, 5:17 PM
I was jeeping this past weekend in D5, and we had already passed all of the bow hunters, when we drove up on deer twice -- each time the deer were about 50 yards in front of us. The first occurrence were 3 doe who saw us, then ran away after a few seconds. We stopped and I found a doe bed near the road. It was a 3x5ft shaded area in grass/bushy area. The second occurrence were 3 or 4 doe who ran away, but my friend said one was a buck.

As a first time centerfire hunter this season, would this be a great sign of areas to scout??

Thanks

Yes but be prepared to see 5-10x the number of people during rifle season.