PDA

View Full Version : i have a newbie question

ridingonfumes
04-20-2006, 5:55 AM
ok so i got my shotgun a ithica 20 gage back in 99 and didnt know a whole lot about the laws (still dont)
the guy i got it from said that rifles and shotguns in california didnt need to be registered or have anything special done at the time of sale. so i still wasnt sure and i checked with my dad (im not a kid i just figured he would know) and he said the same thing as the seller.

so i got the gun and have had it like 6 almost 7 years now

well today im looking around online thinking about getting a 12 gage and i see that private party transaction EVEN FOR rifles, shotguns, and antiques must be done through a dealer now :eek:

WHEN DID THIS START? or has it always been this way? if it has always been this way then i broke a law buying it ?????? or did this start after 1999 idk

Mesa Tactical
04-20-2006, 6:16 AM
well today im looking around online thinking about getting a 12 gage and i see that private party transaction EVEN FOR rifles, shotguns, and antiques must be done through a dealer now :eek:

WHEN DID THIS START? or has it always been this way? if it has always been this way then i broke a law buying it ?????? or did this start after 1999 idk

I believe it started around 1992 or so. It was definitely the law when you bought your Ithaca.

Long guns over 50 years old are exempt. Otherwise, everything is supposed to go through an FFL, with the ten day wait and everything else.

Go to your local gun store and buy this book: How to Own a Gun and Stay Out of Jail in California by John Machtinger.

And join the CRPA and read their monthly newsletter so you can be up on all the new laws coming down.

ridingonfumes
04-20-2006, 6:32 AM
thanks for the reply i will check that book out. during my google searching i found some good info i think it was on this site saying that if you voluntarily register your firearm before you get in trouble that they will cut you a break. so i might also look into that a bit more.

ridingonfumes
04-20-2006, 6:38 AM
you said long guns (shot guns and rifles?) over 50 years old are exempt right?

so i can buy a 51 year old shotgun off a private party and not have to pay a dealer $35 to make it legal? am i getting that right?

i dont know how old my ithica is i dont think its that old maybe i should get it out of storage and look it up i might be ok

-hanko
04-20-2006, 3:29 PM
you said long guns (shot guns and rifles?) over 50 years old are exempt right?

so i can buy a 51 year old shotgun off a private party and not have to pay a dealer $35 to make it legal? am i getting that right?

i dont know how old my ithica is i dont think its that old maybe i should get it out of storage and look it up i might be ok
Correct

Correct, transfer should be face-to-face.

-hanko

CaCrusin
04-20-2006, 3:45 PM
While face-to-face dealer supervised transactions are required, no record of the make, model or serial number of the long gun is recorded by the state in the Dealer Report of Sale (DROS) process. You can buy as many long guns as you can afford with one background check and waiting period. The Serial numbers are recorded on the 4473 federal forms that stay with the dealer but not on the state system.

CaCrusin

ridingonfumes
04-22-2006, 6:43 AM
You can buy as many long guns as you can afford with one background check and waiting period.
CaCrusin

so then i do have to wait 10 days and pay for a background check to buy a c&r long gun? if so i may as well just buy a newer shotgun idk :confused:

accordingtoome
04-22-2006, 6:51 AM
Long guns over 50 years old are exempt. Otherwise, everything is supposed to go through an FFL, with the ten day wait and everything else.

what.?? so if i sold my friend my sks its over 50 years old i didn't have to do a ffl for it?

taloft
04-22-2006, 7:07 AM
That is correct. I sold my Russian SKS to my friend. I just handed over the rifle with a receipt. I also submitted a change of ownership form to the DOJ to CYA but, that is voluntary.

Mesa Tactical
04-22-2006, 5:08 PM
so then i do have to wait 10 days and pay for a background check to buy a c&r long gun? if so i may as well just buy a newer shotgun idk :confused:

Did you read the thread? Long guns over 50 years old are exempt. In California, this is the definition of C&R. If you want to buy or sell a long gun over 50 years old, and you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, you can do so with a handshake.

ridingonfumes
04-22-2006, 7:05 PM
Did you read the thread?

yeah like 20 times and every time i get more confused

here you say

. If you want to buy or sell a long gun over 50 years old, and you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, you can do so with a handshake.

and here this guy says

. You can buy as many long guns as you can afford with one background check and waiting period.
CaCrusin

so can i just buy with a handshake or do i have to go through a waiting period?

i ask if i can just buy and or sell long guns in person party to party with no dealer or $35 fee involved and you say

Correct

Correct, transfer should be face-to-face.

-hanko

but this guy says

face-to-face dealer supervised transactions are required

so do i have to see a dealer to buy/sell c&r long guns person to person?

can you see now why i am still confused?

hdcd
04-22-2006, 9:37 PM
Did you read the thread? Long guns over 50 years old are exempt. In California, this is the definition of C&R. If you want to buy or sell a long gun over 50 years old, and you are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm, you can do so with a handshake.

ALL guns over 50 years? I thought there were exceptions..Like some of the SKS's..

Mssr. Eleganté
04-23-2006, 5:53 AM
Ridingonfumes,

The confusion came about because CaCrusin was refering to your original post about the transfer of your (most likely) modern shotgun. He was pointing out that although the transfer was supposed to have been done through a dealer with a ten day wait, the state never gets to know the type of long gun or the make, model or serial number of the long gun. So there is no way they could prove that the gun isn't rightfully yours even though you didn't transfer it correctly.

So yes, long guns over 50 years of age can be transfered between two California residents without going through a dealer and without the ten day wait. But if you buy a 50 year or older long gun from a dealer it will be treated just like a moder gun purchase, with the wait and DROS fee.

And hdcd,

There is no exeption for SKS's. If an SKS is over 50 years old then it too can be transfered without going through a dealer. The only exceptions are for handguns, which must go through a dealer, and assault weapons, which for the most part can't be transfered at all in state.

ridingonfumes
04-23-2006, 3:21 PM
Ridingonfumes,

The confusion came about because CaCrusin was refering to your original post about the transfer of your (most likely) modern shotgun. He was pointing out that although the transfer was supposed to have been done through a dealer with a ten day wait, the state never gets to know the type of long gun or the make, model or serial number of the long gun. So there is no way they could prove that the gun isn't rightfully yours even though you didn't transfer it correctly.

So yes, long guns over 50 years of age can be transfered between two California residents without going through a dealer and without the ten day wait. But if you buy a 50 year or older long gun from a dealer it will be treated just like a moder gun purchase, with the wait and DROS fee.

And hdcd,

There is no exeption for SKS's. If an SKS is over 50 years old then it too can be transfered without going through a dealer. The only exceptions are for handguns, which must go through a dealer, and assault weapons, which for the most part can't be transfered at all in state.

thank you that clears up a lot.