PDA

View Full Version : Ptr 91

colin1
04-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I got some bad info from a FFL about the stripped PTR 91 recievers, I dont know if it is true or not but I thought I should post it anyways. From what he told me when you do decide to build them the barrels have to be heated and put on a special way, and from his knowledge no one in california was doing this. He said what people were doing instead was drilling the barrel and puting two pins. But he said the couple of rifles he saw like this had loose barrels and weren't accurate at all. I dont know if this is true or not because all of my experience is with ARs and AKs, but I have always wanted a G3 style rifle, I just dont want a paper weight. The guy I spoke to works at a Bay Area gun shop and knows what he is talking about, BUT if anyone has some info on this or can tell me I'm wrong please inform me. Cause if you cant build them to be accurate I think that I'll buy a Socom and just be done with it. If anybody knows about this let me know cause I would love to add a G3 to my collection. Thanks.
Colin

shin_en
04-19-2006, 11:37 PM
I think he's referring to welding on the trunion...

6172crew
04-20-2006, 5:26 AM
I got some bad info from a FFL about the stripped PTR 91 recievers, I dont know if it is true or not but I thought I should post it anyways. From what he told me when you do decide to build them the barrels have to be heated and put on a special way, and from his knowledge no one in california was doing this. He said what people were doing instead was drilling the barrel and puting two pins. But he said the couple of rifles he saw like this had loose barrels and weren't accurate at all. I dont know if this is true or not because all of my experience is with ARs and AKs, but I have always wanted a G3 style rifle, I just dont want a paper weight. The guy I spoke to works at a Bay Area gun shop and knows what he is talking about, BUT if anyone has some info on this or can tell me I'm wrong please inform me. Cause if you cant build them to be accurate I think that I'll buy a Socom and just be done with it. If anybody knows about this let me know cause I would love to add a G3 to my collection. Thanks.
Colin

Check out investment grade firearms or "IGF" They build a nice HK.

Ford8N
04-20-2006, 5:32 AM
You pin the FAC aluminum abortion receiver to the trunion. The steel stamped receiver is TIG welded. Like the original.

Leadthrower
04-20-2006, 7:55 AM
Colin

The FFL you speak of is wrong. There are two Heckler & Koch Gunsmiths here in Sacramento/Yolo/Placer Co. that I just know of myself, let alone if I actually looked...

MaxQ
04-20-2006, 9:52 AM
Yeah, the FFL is wrong.

The barrel is pressed into the trunion and pinned. The trunion and cocking tube are both welded to the receiver. The aluminum FAC receivers had bonded trunions.

If you get a parts kit with the receiver stub still attached to the trunion/cocking tube, it's a pain to remove cleanly, but it can be done. If a test fit on the new receiver won't headspace okay, the barrel will have to be pressed out, then into a new trunion.

A JLD receiver with the trunion installed is the best way to go. It's two US parts and headspace should be good, but you still have to press and weld.

NeoWeird
11-03-2006, 4:54 PM
Came across this in a search and figured I would ask a question.

I have been told by several people that you want the receiver WITHOUT the trunion, I assume, so you do not need to remove the barrel. They said all you need to do then is slide the assembly into the receiver and weld it in place once it is alligned with the rails. It sounds similar to AKs that headspace fine as long as you use the original bolt/carrier and barrel. It's the way I am going to be going.

Builder
11-03-2006, 5:07 PM
I have been told by several people that you want the receiver WITHOUT the trunion, I assume, so you do not need to remove the barrel. They said all you need to do then is slide the assembly into the receiver and weld it in place once it is alligned with the rails. It sounds similar to AKs that headspace fine as long as you use the original bolt/carrier and barrel. This is correct. The head spacing is done within the barrel to trunion to bolt carrier relationship. The receiver slides over the trunion and doesn't set dimensions for headspacing.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/DavidRSw/PB030068.jpg
I cut up my receiver just to take this picture, so you'all had better enjoy it.:D
Builder

NeoWeird
11-03-2006, 5:21 PM
Ok, so that makes it sound like if you are building from stripped parts the receiver WITH the trunion is the way to go, however if you have a demilled parts kit with the barrel already in the trunion, then getting the receiver WITHOUT the trunion saves you a couple steps since the barrel is already properly installed in it. Does that sound about right to your folks?

Builder
11-03-2006, 5:48 PM
Ok, so that makes it sound like if you are building from stripped parts the receiver WITH the trunion is the way to go, however if you have a demilled parts kit with the barrel already in the trunion, then getting the receiver WITHOUT the trunion saves you a couple steps since the barrel is already properly installed in it. Does that sound about right to your folks? Yes, if the barrel is out of the trunion, then "just" press the barrel into the trunion/receiver and headspace, then pin. If demilled, then receiver without trunion and weld the trunion/barrel into the receiver.
Builder

rorschach
11-03-2006, 6:10 PM
^^^ what he said.

BTW I can vouch for Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms. Top notch HK work all the way around.

Mark "Big 50" Galla (big50hk.com) and The Gunplumber (Arizona Response Systems) also do awesome HK builds.

adamsreeftank
11-03-2006, 6:56 PM
Unlike ARs which go together like tinker toys, an HK rifle requires both the knowledge of how the system works, and the ability and equipment to tig weld. For most people, that is best left to an expert such as those listed above.

NeoWeird
11-03-2006, 7:07 PM
I have access to a Tig weld machine, and while I wouldn't trust myself to do it, I know someone who would. Besides, what's the point of building a rifle from parts if you are going to have someone else do it? Might as well just buy the PTR complete from JLD and get it cheaper than it would cost to send it to one of those guys.

Now the only problem is finding a damn PTR91 receiver that someone has in stock...

adamsreeftank
11-04-2006, 1:15 AM
Now the only problem is finding a damn PTR91 receiver that someone has in stock...

Not a problem:

http://www.pof-usa.com/hk91pl.htm

PTR RECEIVERS WITH TRUNION
We have U.S. made PTR receivers with trunions for the semi auto G3\HK91 series of rifles. These Receivers are for sale to FFL dealers only. These receivers must be paid for by an FFL. Please call for more information. 623-561-9572
$250.00

PTR RECEIVERS WITHOUT TRUNION
We have U.S. made PTR receivers without trunions for the semi auto G3\HK91 series of rifles. These receivers are for sale to FFL dealers only. These receivers must be paid for by an FFL. Please call for more information. 623-561-9572
$225.00

PTR RECEIVERS WITHOUT TRUNION OR
REAR SITE BASE FOR CETME's AND PSG1\MSG CLONES
We have U.S. made PTR receivers without trunions for the semi auto G3\HK91 series of rifles. These receivers are for sale to FFL dealers only. These receivers must be paid for by an FFL. Please call for more information. 623-561-9572
$225.00

BigMac
11-04-2006, 8:50 AM
Too bad POF is out of stock.

MaxQ
11-04-2006, 9:56 AM
Yeah, I should have been more specific in my April post. If you can get an excellent condition G3 demil, and can cleanly remove the old receiver stub, then yes, get a receiver without a trunnion already installed. Many of the G3 demils floating around aren't in the greatest shape. With the amount of effort in a G3 build, unless I had a pristine front end, I'd get a receiver with trunnion. POF's receivers are nice, and I'd trust their jig set-up. Also, brand new unassembled parts kits were available for well under $350 a while back. So, I was looking at it with that bias. On the other hand, if you use a complete front end, you don't have to mess with soldering the triple frame and pressing the barrel.

I would recommend that anyone contemplating a G3 build look for more info on the build itself (hard to find) before deciding which receiver to get. Or, have a fine outfit like IGF build it for you, and go with their recommendation.

builder - good one - "just" press the barrel.:D

POF is almost always behind on receiver delivery. I know one FFL that's been waiting for months. Nothing bad about Chris, but demand is greater than supply. Expect to wait a month or two, unless you get really lucky. You could also try Ohio Rapid Fire.

rorschach
11-04-2006, 3:23 PM
Not a problem:

http://www.pof-usa.com/hk91pl.htm

Quite a problem:

Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 3:44 PM
To: sales@pof-usa.com
Subject: PTR receivers/shipping quote?

I would like a quote for 2 PTR91 receivers with NO trunnions + shipping to my FFL (Metroshot in San Fernando CA 91340).

As you may know, PTR91 rifles are NOT listed as assault weapons per California law, and are legal provided they are not assembled with assault weapon features as defined by California law.

If you have any questions you can contact myself at 323-xxx-xxxx, or my dealer at 818-xxx-xxxx

thank you for your time.

recieved this reply, Friday Oct. 27, 2006:

We are currently out of stock and do not know when we will receive more. We will keep this email and notify you if we get more in. Thanks for the inquiry.

Best regards,

Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc. (POF-USA)
www.POF-USA.com
sales@POF-USA.com
623-561-9572 wk
623-321-1680 fax

Hey this is post #762 for me! Ironic, seeing as how were talking about .308 rifles, huh??

BTW Mods could we shuffle this one to the riflemans forum???

adamsreeftank
11-05-2006, 1:19 AM
Quite a problem:

Sorry. I didn't have any trouble when I called a while back. Maybe I got the last two. :o