PDA

View Full Version : No safe. Suggestions?

Gallows
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Although I really don't want to sit around and advertise that I have nothing keep my guns locked away, my curiosity got the best of me. So I live in a rental with a family member and a friend. Someone is always at my house at any given time. But after I went away for a few weeks for training I was robbed and whoever did it ,probably someone who knows me. got away with 2k worth of only my things.

Now that I have started purchasing firearms I am much more weary about leaving the house with them unsecured. So I thought about getting a safe and bolting it to the ground but found out that was a no go with the landlord. So pretty much every time I leave for awhile I leave my handgun with a family friend in his safe, or just throw it in my trunk when I go to drill etc.

What would you do in my position?

gadjeep
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Get a safe and bolt it to the wall. Drywall is much easier to repair upon move out than hardwood or tile.

Kerplow
07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Get a safe and bolt it to the wall. Drywall is much easier to repair upon move out than hardwood or tile.

FO SHO.

fryer1979
07-23-2010, 12:14 AM
At the very least I would say get a safe.

MAC USMC
07-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Friend of mine obtained a clean 55 gallon steel drum and put padding inside for his firearms and ammo. He welded on hasps and locked everything up when he was deployed. He secured the drum to his garage wall (studs). Worked great, he said.

Of course, given enough time and opportunity any security device can be defeated.

TIP: I rarely reveal what I possess, the quantity, location, value, etc. I DO MENTION that I have hidden security cameras in excellent locations. Actually, they are the phony type with no camera, film, motion sensors, etc., just little black boxex with a little blinking red light.

RTE
07-23-2010, 1:38 AM
Get a safe and bolt it to the wall in a closet.....the little repair is much less visible upon move out.

scuds03
07-23-2010, 2:03 AM
When ur ready to leave just load em up and leave em pointed at ur bedroom door with fishing line attaching the triggers to the knob.

Malthusian
07-23-2010, 4:39 AM
At a minimum I would get one of these

http://www.titangunvault.com/gun-safe/titan-gun-vault

For multiple firearms a safe in the closet sounds plausible.

Lucky Scott
07-23-2010, 6:03 AM
The problem is that you asked the landlord. Dont ask, just do it. Fix the damage later.
"Better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

delisle
07-23-2010, 6:51 AM
Same issue here. I used a electronic keypad door knob with a fingerprint scanner. It was a little steep but the easiest way to peace of mind. It comes with keys in case the battery goes dead. It is actually nice because I can program several codes and also change those codes as often as I want. And rather than using a code i can just swipe my thumb.

WWDHD?
07-23-2010, 2:24 PM
Costco has a good deal on a Cannon gun safe. It was in the coupon book for $579.99 INCLUDING SHIPPING! Its an EX20 model. Don't know if it US made or not but it looks like a good deal. On sale untill 8-8-10. Probably heavy enough that you don't have to bolt it down.
Will be a pain to move latter. Maybe you could sell it on craigslist or something if moving it to a new house someday is not possible. Certainly better than leaving your iron in a closet.

Good luck.

I like the 55gal drum idea in an earlier post. will have to try that one someday!

Rob454
07-23-2010, 2:35 PM
The problem is that you asked the landlord. Dont ask, just do it. Fix the damage later.
"Better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Kind of a crappy thing to do IMO if the landlord said no. its still the guys house and his wishes should be respected. I would be livid if someone did something like that especially after I said no. Especially if the landlord does inspections on the house he could get in trouble for doing what you suggested

You can get big heavy safe and weigh it down with steel plate or a bunch of 45 pound iron weights.

j1133s
07-23-2010, 3:24 PM
Although I really don't want to sit around and advertise that I have nothing keep my guns locked away, my curiosity got the best of me. So I live in a rental with a family member and a friend. Someone is always at my house at any given time. But after I went away for a few weeks for training I was robbed and whoever did it ,probably someone who knows me. got away with 2k worth of only my things.

Now that I have started purchasing firearms I am much more weary about leaving the house with them unsecured. So I thought about getting a safe and bolting it to the ground but found out that was a no go with the landlord. So pretty much every time I leave for awhile I leave my handgun with a family friend in his safe, or just throw it in my trunk when I go to drill etc.

What would you do in my position?

If you only have handguns, then you can rent a locker at an indoor range.

frankm
07-23-2010, 3:36 PM
If you have something to secure it to, you could take one of those long dog cables that they sell, bend the loops with a hammer, and slide the cable through your triggers, then lock them to something solid.

turbogg
07-23-2010, 3:47 PM
At a minimum I would get one of these

http://www.titangunvault.com/gun-safe/titan-gun-vault

For multiple firearms a safe in the closet sounds plausible.

^^ That gun safe would be the bare minimum.

I noticed that in that web site it states "Free gun law info at Calguns.net" :D

jazman
07-23-2010, 4:05 PM
When ur ready to leave just load em up and leave em pointed at ur bedroom door with fishing line attaching the triggers to the knob.

I think we have a winner for the worst advice of all time on Calguns.

Mr. Beretta
07-24-2010, 8:43 AM
Several years ago, I purchased a new Cannon safe for under $1,000. Best money I ever spent! I can't imagine owning firearms without owning a good safe. The peace of mind knowing when I leave my home, my guns are safe & secure is worth 1000 times what I paid for the safe. Plus protecting myself from legal action (civil or criminal) if any of my guns were to be stolen & used in a murder, robbery, rape, etc... Or how bout one of my kids friends getting a hold of my firearms.

Also the safe can be used to store important papers, jewelry, laptops, pictures, etc..Believe me, the price you pay for a good safe is absolutely nothing compared to the problems / heartache you would face if something happens. And I don't worry about my safe not being bolted to the ground either. It's big, very heavy and very well made. It's locate in a locked room, within another locked room within my locked home. If my dogs don't stop the crooks from getting to it, my shotgun toting neighbor will.

Save up, don't buy another firearm until you can afford & purchase a good safe. You will never, ever regret it!

Good Luck.

Dubious_Beans
07-24-2010, 9:43 AM
I would avoid drilling holes in the house if your landlord has already asked you not to. I know I'd be very irritated if one of my tenants did that.

If you can't bolt it down, then get a heavy safe. My safe weighs about 400 lbs empty.

Add another 200 lbs of lead shot or other heavy weights. Who's going to move a 600 lb safe without a lot of help? Not saying it can't be done, but it's going to take more than one person unless he's armed with a pallet jack or winch and some rollers.

stitchnicklas
07-24-2010, 9:49 AM
I think we have a winner for the worst advice of all time on Calguns.

+1.................

ir0nclash86
07-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Get a safe and put it in the closet. Drill some holes in the back of the safe and screw it in to the 2x4 in the wall. Then buy a heavy duty door for your closet and dead bolt the heck out of it. Now you have two safety measures. I was thinking about somehow installing a sliding security gate (opens from sliding to left or right) inside the closet also. That way you first gotta get passed the heavy duty dead bolted door then a security gate theeen a safe thats screwed into the wall.

Gallows
07-24-2010, 6:38 PM
Good suggestions worth checking out. Thanks for the advice.

Well by next month I'll have a few more guns so leaving them lying around isn't much of an option, neither is taking them with me everywhere. Anything that involves bolting things to the wall etc, is a no go for me. I respect the landlords decision so I might just get a safe and weigh it down. Keep it somewhere hidden.

elsolo
07-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Ever consider renter's insurance?