View Full Version : Where can i find grips for my Colt revolver?

07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Found, thanks again calguns

Andy Taylor
07-23-2010, 5:48 AM
You got a good deal. The ones I have seen locally in the last couple of years go for the $350-400 range.
The grips are called "Coltwood". yes they are plastic and that word is a Colt trademark.
The gun is built on the same frame as the Python, so any grips made for the Python will fit. The original Colt Trooper (not the MKIII or MKV) and Model 357were also made ano this frame. My OP ('50 manufacture) currently wears a pair of service grips from a '69 manufacture Trooper. If you want original grips a bit of scrounging the internet and gunshows is in order. It has the same sweet action as a Python, although the firing pin is hammer mounted instead of frame mounted.
That model was originally called "Army Special". The marketing guys at Colt changed the name in the 30's IIRC.

Check here to determine year of manufacture

07-23-2010, 9:07 AM
i did some more research, i still cant find any aftermarket, or original grips?

thanks guys

07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Grips can be found on gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, midwayusa.com, and other places that sell gun parts, accessories, and stuff. Look for grips that fit the Python, they will fit yours also. Just about everything I know about Colt revolvers I learned from D.R.E.(here on calguns) Find some of his threads, they are full of great info. He has a blog full of good info too. (http://coltpython.blogspot.com/)


07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
You might try Eagle Grips http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Colt-s-Double-Action-Revolvers.html . I know they are a little pricey, but the ones I've seen they make for Smith's are very very nice.

07-23-2010, 11:16 AM


will either of these grips fit the colt?

thanks again guys, you guys are awesome

07-23-2010, 12:11 PM

07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, those are the same product and they will fit your revolver. You *might* have to do a little bit of sanding to get them to fit "just right" but it is easy to do. If you are not concerned with the vintage look then go to Hogue Grips http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24_51 and look at these Python grips. They will work on your revolver. I hope this helps a bit.

07-23-2010, 1:05 PM
thanks everyone for your support

07-23-2010, 1:20 PM

First, that's a sweet looking old smoke pole you have there. It's in very good to excellent shape and should provide you with a lot of fun in the coming years. Just take good care of her like someone else did for over 60 years.

Your Colt Official Police Model .38 Special, serial number is 760399 was made in 1948. It's a 62 year old gun. I would avoid shooting any .38 Special +P ammo in the gun, even though it's a very sturdy design. Parts will be hard to come by and she wasn't built for a steady diet of higher-than-normal pressure ammo.

The grips from Vintage gun grips should work. The Official Police is built on the Colt "E" Frame and grips that fit the Python, Trooper (not MkIII or MKV) and Officer's Model should also fit.

Whatever replacements you put on the gun, do NOT throw away those original grips. To a collector, if you ever re-sell the gun, they will add value, just as the original Colt box would add value to the package.

For what it's worth, in that condition, it could easily sell for $450+, especially to fans of Colt revolvers. You made a good deal on that one.

Grip Companies to check:
Collins Craft (http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/colt-grips.php?Q=Colt&D=Colt+Grips)
E-GunParts (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=6650) Links to OP page w/SILE marked walnut grips.
Grips4Guns (http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/colt/python.html)

07-23-2010, 1:54 PM
thanks so much for the reply

i did some more research, i still cant find any aftermarket, or original grips?

if its not to much to ask for, can someone shoot me in the right direction?

thanks guys


Here's the place to check.

I'm not too good on "cross referencing" which other Colt revolver grips will fit your gun, but these wood ones will fit. There may be plastic ones listed under a different model. It doesn't look as though your original grips are in bad shape, if you include a photo of the grip defect someone may be able to offer a fix - wonders can be done with epoxy repairs from the inside.

Just trying to track down DOM, can't quite nail it down beyond "looks like 48 or 49".


07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I dont know what i do without you guys =) thanks again, i really appreciate everyones time to help me out