PDA

View Full Version : sig sauer in 357sig

stitchnicklas
07-22-2010, 10:38 PM
turners has them on sale tomorrow in rancho for 279.

anyone have any input on the caliber and price.

i all ready have a sig 225 9mm

RobG
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
The relative downside to .357 sig is ammo expense and the lack of availability compared to 9mm and .40 s&w. But heck, for 279.00 why not go for it.

Ed_Hazard
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I have several of the same gun. It is fairly comfortable to shoot and carry. The price is excellent. The caliber is a little on the expensive side. considering you get .357 mag performance out of an auto it's a fair trade off. The caliber has been in service w/several major agencies for a while now.

jrara
07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
You can always get a .40 caliber conversion if ammo availability is an issue.

I would go for it though since the price is right.

Ed_Hazard
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Looking at the pic in the add and that these are trade-ins, the gun has the old Sig rails and will not accept almost all the tactical lights on the market.

stitchnicklas
07-22-2010, 11:08 PM
You can always get a .40 caliber conversion if ammo availability is an issue.

I would go for it though since the price is right.

you just got my attention a little more.

more info please...

Ed_Hazard
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Since the gun is chambered in 357 Sig all you need to do is buy a .40 caliber conversion barrel and swap it out. The mags are the same for both calibers.

EDIT:

Midway has them for $180

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=263953

stitchnicklas
07-22-2010, 11:15 PM
just go to get to turners while they are in stock...33 guns total in stock according to ad.

would add a 40/357 to my arsenal

Ed_Hazard
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I'd advise you call the closest store to you and ask to have one put on hold. We can all recall how soon the 22/45's sold out.

Ed_Hazard
My bad just saw that it is the Rancho store only.

stitchnicklas
new store only sale 3days only starting tomorrow

DerGlock
07-23-2010, 5:50 AM
Where is the store located? Is there a link to the ad?

Ezekiel2000
07-23-2010, 6:11 AM
Where is the store located? Is there a link to the ad?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324162

gorenut
07-23-2010, 7:40 AM
If you go that route, you can also get .40 barrels at Top Gun Supply for $159

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sigpro-2022-2340-conversion-barrel-40-s-w.html

neomedic
07-23-2010, 9:36 AM
Any additional input? Would like to know if should add this to my collection as well? Anyone had any issues with this model?

Thanks.

Scorpiusdeus
07-23-2010, 9:43 AM
I have some friends who have converted from 9MM up to .357 Sig and a few who went from .45 to .357 Sig, some are LE, some are military or former of each.

They all are strong converts. I own a number of Sigs in .40 S&W and will getting barrels in .357 Sig for all of them. I also have a 9MM conversion barrel for my P226 and love it. What model Sig are we talking about?

Bullwinkle
07-23-2010, 9:51 AM
Would like to know if should add this to my collection as well?It's a Sig and it's under $300. What more do you need to know? :) Is it the .357Sig caliber that's holding you back? It's a great caliber (by all accounts I've heard/read)... and even that has "Sig" in its name, so you know it must be good! :D It's a .40 necked down to .357 and designed to mimick .357Mag performance out of an autoloader. They seem to have succeeded in reaching that objective.

As someone prior has already said, though, it's not very cost effective to shoot.

But as others have pointed out, you can swap barrels and make it a .40SW for practice/plinking, although in that case you have to factor the cost of a second barrel into the equation, so maybe it's not such a great deal to you then.

acolytes
07-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I just called them. Sounded really busy there. They have 2 left in the store, but will take deposits on them if the store sells out. He said they will have more shipped from the "warehouse". So all you need to do is put a .40 barrel in and your good to go? No other mods needed?

Bullwinkle
07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
but will take deposits on them if the store sells out.You had best triple-check that. The ad says No layaways Only 33 available, and "Many" items limited to stock on hand.Sounds like they may have gotten confused in all the commotion.

So all you need to do is put a .40 barrel in and your good to go? No other mods needed?

Nope, none. Uses the same mag, recoil spring, slide assembly, etc.

Futrellkm
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
I just got back from the store, and picked one up myself. The line was half way around the building, and they were giving priority to whoever was there first. With how many people were there, and still in line waiting to get in 2 hours after it opened, they are surely gone by now.

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
just got back also and i did buy the sig 357..total price for gun 334 with tax.as i was waiting in a hour long line they put extra mags out for sale and i grabbed one for 29 bucks too......

i am going to buy the 40sw barrel for it too...

2 for 1 gun...

jrara
07-23-2010, 11:05 AM
just got back also and i did buy the sig 357..total price for gun 334 with tax.as i was waiting in a hour long line they put extra mags out for sale and i grabbed one for 29 bucks too......

i am going to buy the 40sw barrel for it too...

2 for 1 gun...

Congrats!!

Topgun Supply has the Factory .40 caliber barrel in stock for $160.

Link below
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sigpro-2022-2340-conversion-barrel-40-s-w.html

I would jump on the deal myself if we had a Turners in the SF Bay Area.

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
midway has the barrel also for 159.

AND THANK YOU..

i told my wife i bought another gun and she was p.o. for minute ,then i told her it was a "upgrade" for her;);),and she then became interested ,more so when i told her it can shoot other calibers.she has a heel-lock p225 and has issues with the mag changes but likes the slide ease of a broke-in sig.

anyone here think extra barrels can be had at the ontario gun show?? other wise i will order a barrel from midway, even though they still have my pmags on backorder...laggers

jrara
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I would just order it online just to be safe.

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I would just order it online just to be safe.

why?? it would be a sig barrel if i bought it,i don't mess around with non factory internal parts on guns,so i would only buy sig brand....save the shipping if the price is right

-hanko
07-23-2010, 12:33 PM
...The caliber is a little on the expensive side. considering you get .357 mag performance out of an auto it's a fair trade off.

[QUOTE=Bullwinkle;4664635]...It's a .40 necked down to .357 and designed to mimick .357Mag performance out of an autoloader. They seem to have succeeded in reaching that objective...[quote]

You guys need to finish the .357 mag comparison...it is designed to equal the magnum's performance, but it only does that in lighter bullets...

So for a carry gun with bullets up to ~125gr. it's a fair comparison. The magnum outshines it with heavier bullets, but with the downside of fewer shots. If you reload, the magnum is even better with 158gr bullets at around 1600 fps and still within saami specs.

For the price I'd get the gun. But I'd realize that the sig doesn't have the variety of bullet weights available as does the magnum. For LE info with the sig, google a little for the Texas Department of Public Safety, iirc they were the first major LE agency to convert to the sig.

hth

-hanko

jrara
07-23-2010, 12:48 PM
why?? it would be a sig barrel if i bought it,i don't mess around with non factory internal parts on guns,so i would only buy sig brand....save the shipping if the price is right

The Sig p2340 is not really a popular model like the 226s or 229s.

You might get lucky though.

Ed_Hazard
07-23-2010, 12:56 PM

The odds on finding a new .40 SW barrel for this gun at the show would be remote. Just order from Midway to be sure. Also how many grips were included w/the gun, you might want to check out the slim and medium grip backstraps Midway has for it. One other suggestion I would give is buy some of the trigger pin snapper sleves. It is the little o-ring that holds in the trigger pin. I have had one work itself loose undr recoil from the full house 357 Sig loads and could'nt find it. The gun was pretty much disabled until I replaced it.

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 1:32 PM
The odds on finding a new .40 SW barrel for this gun at the show would be remote. Just order from Midway to be sure. Also how many grips were included w/the gun, you might want to check out the slim and medium grip backstraps Midway has for it. One other suggestion I would give is buy some of the trigger pin snapper sleves. It is the little o-ring that holds in the trigger pin. I have had one work itself loose under recoil from the full house 357 Sig loads and could'nt find it. The gun was pretty much disabled until I replaced it.

they did not mention the back straps at all,comes with a 1yr warrenty.

i plan on getting a 40sw barrel but not until gun is in hand,you know how pissy the doj can be,even though i am a ffl and coe holder they can screw a deal for what ever reason they want,so i won't buy anything until the gun is almost ready or ready. i plan on shooting mostly 40sw with the gun and sig357 at limits and as a hd gun for wife....

BossHog
07-23-2010, 1:44 PM
CDNN has factory new 10 rd. mags for the SP2340 for $14.99/ea. here (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/pro3510blune.html)

thomasanelson
07-23-2010, 3:39 PM
Love mine, but the ammo is expensive.

1911Luvr
07-23-2010, 4:37 PM
Any additional input? Would like to know if should add this to my collection as well? Anyone had any issues with this model?

Thanks.

I'll give you my input in 10 days!

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 6:57 PM
I'll give you my input in 10 days!

+1..........................

neomedic
07-23-2010, 7:04 PM
Hahaha...great. Was hoping for it today so I can decide if I wanted to get one. But still...will wait the 10 days to see how it goes. Too bad I live so far...by the time I would have gotten there, it would of been all sold out if they only have 2 left at 11am with a line still going around the corner =(

ROTC sniper
07-23-2010, 7:26 PM
Since the .357sig is comparable to the .357magnum would you consider getting one of these versus a revolver? I was going to get a 4" revolver for camping, maybe a ruger GP 100 but if I could get this and have more rounds for protection during camping and get a .40s&w barrel to shoot and practice with less expensive rounds, maybe it's a better deal.

I already have a glock 35 and have a bunch of ammo and would rather use what I have vs having to buy an additional caliber (.38s) to practice with.

What would you guys do? Turners had the ruger gp100 on sale for $499 and even the the sale ended I could get the price or even look for a .357 for a little less expensive off here. Thanks

-hanko
07-23-2010, 7:32 PM
What would you guys do? Turners had the ruger gp100 on sale for $499 and even the the sale ended I could get the price or even look for a .357 for a little less expensive off here. Thanks
If your main use of the gun will be outdoors/in the woods/etc., I'd consider heavier bullets in the .357 a real advantage...practice is not a problem as you can shoot .38 specials cheaper than .40 s&W. Only downside is fewer bullets in the gun, but having 6 won't be a disadvantage in the woods. The wider variety of bullets in the Magnum give an advantage in versatility over the sig.

-hanko

JonM
07-23-2010, 9:26 PM
Hanko, I am curious as to why having six shots is more acceptable in a woods environment versus an urban or everyday environment. Is it because gun vs. gun battles usually require more rounds, more cover fire, more speed, more "spraying" and point shooting etc, wheras with gun vs. animal it is mostly an issue of power and accuracy? This is really just a wild guess on my part. I would agree that for some reason a beefy revolver like a hot .357 or a .44 seems like more of a natural choice in the woods vs. a semi-auto. Mostly because you can really crank up the power with a revolver, and they tend to be dead reliable.

ldivinag
07-23-2010, 11:44 PM
what model?

i take it's used...

Ed_Hazard
07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
what model?

i take it's used...

It's the 2340, and yes they are police trade-ins.

Ed_Hazard
07-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Hanko, I am curious as to why having six shots is more acceptable in a woods environment versus an urban or everyday environment. Is it because gun vs. gun battles usually require more rounds, more cover fire, more speed, more "spraying" and point shooting etc, wheras with gun vs. animal it is mostly an issue of power and accuracy? This is really just a wild guess on my part. I would agree that for some reason a beefy revolver like a hot .357 or a .44 seems like more of a natural choice in the woods vs. a semi-auto. Mostly because you can really crank up the power with a revolver, and they tend to be dead reliable.

I know you addressed theis to Hanko, but let me just say that in an urban setting, this gun is carried mainly for defense against criminals. In that case your choice of ammunition will tend to lean towards a cartridge that has less potential for overpenetration and the ability to cause more shock to the target. Thats why hollow point rounds are favored.
Also the higher capacity is preferred in case the lawfully armed individual find themselves faceing multiple threats or a large number of rounds are exchanged. As they say if you find yourself "spraying" rounds your doing it wrong.

In the woods you would carry the firearm mostly for defense against the larger predators one might have the misfortune to encounter. These animals are for the most part much more heavily muscled and thicker boned than people. As was previously stated you can pick heavier weight bullets loaded to higher pressures to insure ample penetration as well as the abilty to break bone. You would need this in order to quickly put an end to an attck as they tend to come w/out warning in a blitz fashion.

stitchnicklas
08-02-2010, 12:50 PM
sweet!!!!!

got the sig out of jail today,taking it shooting this weekend...

next up barrel switch from 257sig to 40sw for cheaper shooting ammo...

1911Luvr
08-02-2010, 2:15 PM
Please give us your review! I forgot I already had a gun on DROS so I won't be getting mine for a few more weeks.

stitchnicklas
08-02-2010, 9:14 PM
after i got home with the gun i was cleaning and lubing and i noticed it had fair tritium night sights like my sig225.are these common issue on all sigs or issue specific???

stitchnicklas
08-09-2010, 2:04 PM
well here is the range report:
awesome gun
accurate and fun/easy to shoot with 357sig rds
wife had no problems shooting this gun and has since moved her sig 225 to the safe and put the 2340 in her nightstand...

easy disassembly and cleaning...

so glad i bought this gun for $279 from turners...

lovinglife
08-09-2010, 2:52 PM
How expensive are the conversion kits?

stitchnicklas
08-09-2010, 3:04 PM
$150