PDA

View Full Version : Sig trigger job question...

Evo
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
My wife loves her 9mm P226, and she's a real natural shot with it, but she really has a problem with the DA pull weight. She can do it but it's a struggle and even with practice she doesn't feel confident she can get a first shot on target. So my question is, realistically, how much can a P226 DA pull be lightened by a competent gunsmith?

Even just a few pounds would be enough, she can pull the DA on my USPc much easier (about 10lbs) but I think 8lbs would be ideal. I think the Sig is 13-15 but haven't tested it.

BTW she's fired Glocks and just about everything else out there and chose the Sig, so please don't recommend other platforms.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RobG
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Maybe some Wolff springs. Or if want to spend 250-350 dollars you can have it re-worked by Gray Guns to your particular needs.

checkenbach
07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Gray Guns has a couple of do it yourself firing pin safety block/spring kits that are supposed to improve the trigger pull, how much, good question.
One is a competition use only, the other is a more general usage kit.
They're out of stock at the moment, but I'm going to get one for the 220 and 226 when they are available.
I put Wolff reduced power hammer springs in both of mine, a bit of a difference in the 226, not much in the 220.

Ultimate
07-23-2010, 12:08 AM
The DA pull of the sig is quite substantial off a straining hand to pull off a good shot.

I would recommend she adapts some of the revolver techniques to steady her guns' sight as as she squeezes a shot off in DA.

In one of the revolver videos floating around here the competition shooter explains that he uses his support hand to both, steady the gun and squeeze the other hand to increase grip which allows his firing hand to focus on the trigger. I have noticed this really helps me with the DA shot of the sig.

With my support hand I put my thumb on the grippy part of the take down lever which makes for a high support hold and steadies the tremble greatly.

Sheepdog1968
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
The Sig factory will do trigger jobs. The normal stock DA-SA is supposed to be 10-5 pounds. The facotry trigger job is supposed to change it to 9 lbs DA and 4.5 lbs SA. Given potential liability issues for improper trigger jobs, I'd reccomend sending to the Sig factory.

randy
07-23-2010, 2:04 AM
Buy a couple of main springs and cut a couple of coils off. Repeat until it doesn't work then cut another one a little longer.

It won't break the bank to do that.

If you live in So Cal you might try TJ Customs if he is still in business. He did one of my 229's much improved.

1nsanity
07-23-2010, 7:38 AM
Change the mainspring to Wolf 19lb or 20lb mainspring. I wouldn't go less then 19lbs especially if her primary hd gun. Be sure to test your hd ammo for light strikes and move up accordingly. The next after 20lb (overall ideal weight imo) is 22lb with 24lb being factory standard. You may want to consider switching to the newer style mainsring setup which I hear makes the swap much easier, although I have no problems working with the old setup. You really don't need any specializeds tools if you are handy to begin with but having the right tools does make it somewhat easier...

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6160066102

wu_dot_com
07-23-2010, 8:01 AM
polish the hammer/ sear engagement, the trigger bar to safety lever, safety lever to sear, hammer to hammer pin, and trigger bar to trigger areas.

this will smooth things out a bit.

Bullwinkle
07-23-2010, 8:31 AM
Even just a few pounds would be enough, she can pull the DA on my USPc much easier (about 10lbs)

From the P226 specs (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90):

Trigger Pull DA 10.0 lbs
Trigger Pull SA 4.4 lbs

Sig has one of the better DA pulls out there. Of course, I realize that doesn't help your wife any, but it "should" already be at 10lbs.

Installation of a Short Trigger might help some (not to be confused with the Short Reset Trigger). It reduces the grip length, measured from the backstrap to the trigger face. It's not a significant reduction--I believe I read somewhere that it's only an eigth of an inch--but it'll still allow her to get more finger on the trigger for better leverage. Try that first, then if necessary combine that with a Wolff spring set.

Someone mentioned TJ's Custom Gunworks. I know he sells a "recontoured" trigger for Sigs. Not sure exactly what it's supposed to do, but I assume it's similar to the Short Trigger. He certainly can--or at least sounds like he can--do a nice trigger job for you; but I figure if you have to spend a small fortune shipping the pistol round trip anyway, might as well ship it direct to the factory as Sheepdog1968 suggested; only reason not to is if the pricing of the work itself is significantly different. The Sig Custom Shop Price List (http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/2007-SIG-Customer-Shop-Price-List.pdf) lists the Action Enhancement Package at $150. For $200 you can get a DAK conversion... the DAK trigger weight is 6.5 lbs, but of course this is a DAO system so I don't know if your wife will want that (I wouldn't, personally). In either case, make sure to have a Short Trigger installed along with the action work; of course, I'm assuming that since Sig is already going to have the pistol stripped anyway, that they'll only charge you for the part and not the full $75 listed in the price list! :) Call Customer Service to verify that first, though.

Good luck!

mtenenhaus
07-23-2010, 9:28 AM
Bruce Gray at Grayguns.com does amazing work, his prices are too cheap if you ask me, he's incredibly honest and very friendly to deal with.

SLO1911Fan
07-23-2010, 9:55 AM
Flork805 is Scott Folk from Apex Tactical who used to work with Bruce Gray at Gray Guns. He's certainly one of the best Sig smiths in the country and the prices at Apex are very reasonable.

mugdava
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Three years ago I picked up a Sig P226 in .40/.357, but after a few range trips the only thing that didn't sing about this pistol was the long reset. So I figured a SRT(short reset trigger) was in order, and I sent the pistol to Sig for the work. I also had Sig do a Action Enhancement Package.

The pistol was gone for about three weeks total and came back w/ vastly improved reset. In addition, the trigger pull was now a smooth 3.5 lbs SA and 8.5 lbs DA. The double action pull feels much lighter than 8.5 lbs, but that's what the Lyman trigger gauge reads it at.
_______
mugdava

Scorpiusdeus
07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
As a few others have said, send it to Sig for the work. I've had two P226's worked on by Bruce Gray. I was happy with the work, BUT it was over priced and I can tell difference between the work done at Gray Guns vs my buddy's P226 done at Sig.

I've heard wonderful things about Bruce, but my experience with Gray Guns was very unfavorable.

Sheepdog1968
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
As a few others have said, send it to Sig for the work. I've had two P226's worked on by Bruce Gray. I was happy with the work, BUT it was over priced and I can tell difference between the work done at Gray Guns vs my buddy's P226 done at Sig.

I've heard wonderful things about Bruce, but my experience with Gray Guns was very unfavorable.

One of the additonal beauties of the Sig factory is that if there is any issue, they can easily stand behind the work and take care of it for you. Also, all the factory does is Sigs. Also, while there, I'd consider adding the short reset trigger. It may not see like much of a difference visually, but your trigger finger will love it.

faterikcartman
07-23-2010, 1:04 PM
I was happy with the work, BUT it was over priced and I can tell difference between the work done at Gray Guns vs my buddy's P226 done at Sig.

So you CAN tell the difference and one is better than the other? Sig factory work is better? Or you CAN'T tell the difference and it is a typo.

Thanks for the clarification.

I really don't have an issue with the Sig trigger, but my wife would probably appreciate it so am considering it, so thank you for the comments.

Also, with all this talk about shorter trigger reaches, what about guys with big paws? I can palm a basketball and the problem I can have with a lot of guns is my trigger finger naturally going so far through the guard and across the trigger that it can get hung up on my support hand thumb on the other side. I hate the idea of having to worry so much about proper hand placement in a crises.

Evo
07-23-2010, 1:12 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I'm going to try the Wolf spring first and see if it's enough. If not I'll probably send it to Sig for the Action Enhancement Package.
I'm also thinking about sending my USPc in for a LEM conversion, I tried one a while back and it was SWEET!

RobG
07-23-2010, 1:44 PM
So you CAN tell the difference and one is better than the other? Sig factory work is better? Or you CAN'T tell the difference and it is a typo.

I really don't have an issue with the Sig trigger, but my wife would probably appreciate it so am considering it, so thank you for the comments.

Also, with all this talk about shorter trigger reaches, what about guys with big paws? I can palm a basketball and the problem I can have with a lot of guns is my trigger finger naturally going so far through the guard and across the trigger that it can get hung up on my support hand thumb on the other side. I hate the idea of having to worry so much about proper hand placement in a crises.

Don't confuse the two. There is a short trigger which helps with smaller hands and a short reset trigger which shortens the reset of the trigger.

Scorpiusdeus
07-23-2010, 2:21 PM

:eek: Whooops, I'm glad you caught that. Yes, it's a typo. I meant to say I could NOT tell the difference.

tacticalniko
07-23-2010, 3:08 PM
Thank you for this thread!

UserM4
07-23-2010, 3:19 PM
My wife loves her 9mm P226, and she's a real natural shot with it, but she really has a problem with the DA pull weight. She can do it but it's a struggle and even with practice she doesn't feel confident she can get a first shot on target. So my question is, realistically, how much can a P226 DA pull be lightened by a competent gunsmith?

Even just a few pounds would be enough, she can pull the DA on my USPc much easier (about 10lbs) but I think 8lbs would be ideal. I think the Sig is 13-15 but haven't tested it.

BTW she's fired Glocks and just about everything else out there and chose the Sig, so please don't recommend other platforms.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If this gun is going to be used to home defense, may I politely suggest that the trigger not me altered in any way?

http://content.blubrry.com/proarms/022.mp3

If it's only going to be a range toy, please disregard.

9mmepiphany
07-23-2010, 4:22 PM
if your wife doesn't mind a DA trigger, the DAK at 6.5lbs is really sweet.

as to your concern about having larger hands. the easy way is to get fatter grips...wood grips are the thickess. the cheapest way is to train enough not inserting your finger too far in and it will become muscle memory

Evo
07-23-2010, 4:35 PM
I'll talk to her about the DAK but I think she likes the idea of DA/SA.

Actually I ordered a lighter spring for my USPc as well, if it lightens the pull enough I might forgo my plans for a LEM mod.

faterikcartman
07-23-2010, 5:58 PM
Don't confuse the two. There is a short trigger which helps with smaller hands and a short reset trigger which shortens the reset of the trigger.

Don't see how I was confusing the two at all. It is quite obvious I'm talking about the short triggers for smaller hands as distinguished from my very large hands.

faterikcartman
07-23-2010, 7:34 PM
If this gun is going to be used to home defense, may I politely suggest that the trigger not me altered in any way?

http://content.blubrry.com/proarms/022.mp3

If it's only going to be a range toy, please disregard.

Really want to thank you for the link to this podcast. I don't think I usually get past 30 seconds of a lot of the links you find in forums but I just listened to the entire thing. It really shuts down a lot of the "cite just one case" people who ridicule those who suggest not using a light or modded trigger for home defense.

I also like it because it will probably give me a "buy two free" pass with the wife!:D

RobG
07-23-2010, 7:45 PM
Don't see how I was confusing the two at all. It is quite obvious I'm talking about the short triggers for smaller hands as distinguished from my very large hands.

My mistake. I missed the post about short triggers vs. the SRT kit.

UserM4
07-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Really want to thank you for the link to this podcast. I don't think I usually get past 30 seconds of a lot of the links you find in forums but I just listened to the entire thing. It really shuts down a lot of the "cite just one case" people who ridicule those who suggest not using a light or modded trigger for home defense.

I also like it because it will probably give me a "buy two free" pass with the wife!:D

It's really informative. I used to have a few guns for HD including one with a modified trigger. Obviously, that particular gun is now only designated for range duty. Hope it helped and hopefully you'll spread the word to your friends.

ldivinag
07-24-2010, 12:43 AM
i would convert to DAO.

that way... one trigger pull... ALL the time.

nn3453
07-24-2010, 5:49 AM
I have a feeling that the long trigger pull on the first shot might be throwing her off more than the actual DA trigger pull weight. That "problem" is not going to go away no matter how much you lighten the pull. You may not want to hear this, but a DA/SA gun may not be the platform she is most comfortable with.

Flork805
07-24-2010, 1:30 PM
With my experience with trigger work on Sig pistols, I'd recommend a Wolff 17lb main spring, the factory length trigger and a work over by a competent gunsmith.

The short trigger reduces your leverage advantage against the trigger and makes the trigger pull heavier. If your wife is having trouble with the trigger reach, I'd recommend one of GGI's intermediate triggers.

1nsanity
07-24-2010, 6:24 PM
This person sells factory SRT kits if anyone is interested and either competent in your abilities to install it (not that hard tbh) or have your local gunsmith install it. You would need to sign on onto the Sig forum though to order from him. Sig no longer sells the kit to the average person any longer preferring that you send in your gun for them to work on I believe.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/4010094112

Couple of other people offer SRT kits or their version of them as well. One off hand is-

http://www.totalautomation.us/sigcorner.htm

These guys also offer a "high torgue trigger" for p225/ p6 that can also be implemented on other p series sigs from what it says. Not sure what they do exactly but also helps reduce trigger pull with out compromising to light strikes as well.