PDA

View Full Version : TSA and Gunshot Residue

Adub
07-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a flight next month to ny and I plan on using my backpack that sometimes doubles as my range bag (as well as rest sometimes) as my carry on for the flight. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with gunshot residue and going through the security checks with the installation of the chemical tester machines.

1sicv8
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
if you are reffering to the ETD machines, yeah they will most likely pick up on it.

but the chances of your bag being searched are all up to you. as long as you go through, follow the guidelines and you should get through with no problem.

i have seen someone go through with an old military bag they purchased at an army surplus store and it set off the machine, but after checking the bag and contents the person was let through no problems.

xsquid
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I have range bags and I have separate bags that I use for travel just to avoid the problem that you stated. Last thing I would want is to be held up at security because of an errant .22 round wedged in somewhere in the bag.

Cody
07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
You may get randomly searched. If the bag tests positive for GSR then they will search it and you thoroughly but will let you go when/if they don't find anything.
If you're really worried use a different bag.

-Cody

Deadbolt
07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Denver TSA found a 1.5inch folding knife in the folds of my wife's purse

we were both amazed and concerned - SBA tsa didnt see it and my wife blurted out THATS WHERE IT WENT, apparently she lost it over a year ago :rofl: - the little keychain flipper was caught on our return flight !

Adub
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I have range bags and I have separate bags that I use for travel just to avoid the problem that you stated. Last thing I would want is to be held up at security because of an errant .22 round wedged in somewhere in the bag.

I hear you on that, I just don't have any other bags right. I just graduated from college and threw away my book bag that served me well but died just as i finished and all I have now are my 2 5.11 bags I use for camping/range/etc. and didn't feel like buying another for a flight.

I figured as much with them letting me go through if they felt they needed to search through it if it tested positive or something. I just wanted to make sure there were no stories of them freaking out and wouldn't even let someone's bag on because of some test.

we were both amazed and concerned - SBA tsa didnt see it and my wife blurted out THATS WHERE IT WENT, apparently she lost it over a year ago :rofl: - the little keychain flipper was caught on our return flight !

I know the feeling! A few years back, I went to the air show at March AFR Base in Moreno Valley; we park and get our little fold up chairs that go in the 6" circle bags and walked to the security check point. The guard starts feeling my bag and he says "what do you have in here?" and I say "it's a chair..." he says "there is something else in here" and proceeds to pull out a freaking softball bat! My jaw drops and he just looks at me...nevertheless, he gave me the option of him confiscating it or returning it to my car.

1sicv8
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

haha, not surprising!

have you seen the amount of crap that goes inside some purses? probably difficult to tell what that all is on an xray

Deadbolt
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
haha, not surprising!

have you seen the amount of crap that goes inside some purses? probably difficult to tell what that all is on an xray

that was our guess- it must have been flat on its broad side on the way out

@adub - lol irl @ a teeball bat in the chair :rofl:

randy
07-23-2010, 2:02 AM
Wash it.

scuds03
07-23-2010, 2:06 AM
When they find that there are no guns or bullets in the bag they will wonder where you hid them and take you behind the cavity search curtain.

DaveFJ80
07-23-2010, 7:29 AM
You may get randomly searched. If the bag tests positive for GSR then they will search it and you thoroughly but will let you go when/if they don't find anything.

This.

I fly all the time between CA & TX, and I go shooting often in both places. A few times, I've shot that same morning and then flew out that afternoon, knowing I had GSR on my arms, clothing, transfer onto my bag (not the same one I used at the range), etc. However, like others have said, you get randomly searched. And if they notice something that stands out inside your bag during the x-ray, then they'll swipe it and search through it. Otherwise, the only thing that I've ever had swiped by TSA in the past 3 years was my work laptop (which didn't have any GSR transfer on it, and this was at DFW.... never any issues at LAX), and I fly at least 30 times a year.

If you're concerned about it, just use a different bag. My range bag is dedicated to range use only, mainly because I'm too lazy to empty it and fill it back up before each range trip.

The Director
07-23-2010, 7:36 AM
Wow. Didn't even know they tested for that. Good to know.

chris
07-23-2010, 7:47 AM
my body armor set off the machine when i was coming home from Iraq and i had to run down and open up my bag. this is after i took my boots off and my belt too. what was funny that of course my stuff would set off the machine i spent lots of time on the range training while i was gone.

norcal.xd
07-23-2010, 9:02 AM
Wash it.

:iagree: im with this guy.....

Cali-Shooter
07-23-2010, 1:51 PM
Wow. Didn't even know they tested for that. Good to know.

Yeah, my friend went shooting with me once, and the next morning he was off to fly to Taiwan. The TSA stopped him and searched him because of the residue from all the firearms action the day before (he wore same clothes). So he had a slight delay due to the search, but that was it and he was off. My friend shot my G22c, M590A1, and Saiga 762.

spectr17
07-23-2010, 2:23 PM
Reno SCI Show in Vegas several years ago we're all flying out the next day and had been handling guns and powder all weekend. GSR all over our bags and clothing. No one tested positive, even the groups around us too. Them sniffer machines are all dog and pony show from what EOD buddies tell me

Vinnie
07-23-2010, 4:35 PM
careful who might be moonlighting at the TSA search booth
http://obamasgoose.com/drobama300.jpg

CSACANNONEER
07-23-2010, 4:41 PM
I have always wondered why I nor my stuff has ever tested positive. You would think that after sweeping up an indoor range my shoes would have set off every detector around. Nope! The whole thing is just a feel good, dog and pony show for the betas, deltas and epsilons. Hell, I bet even half of the alphas are naive enough to think that these inspections do anything but waste time and money.

AJAX22
07-23-2010, 5:06 PM
Pretty sure those detectors only see a Few basic categories of explosives.....

Nitrates,

Perchlorates?

Peroxide based explosives

TNT, tnb etc.

Semtex, rdx, c4

I believe that a few of those will not set off the detector.

Even if they catch every single possible harmfull compound.... I highly doubt they could catch a reactive metal..... And a wax coated block of lithium could be made to look like a dandy paperweight and set off with a plastic bag filled with watter from the bathroom.

They will never make us compleatly safe..... It's a complete impossibility

elsolo
07-24-2010, 1:08 AM
I was picked at random once in an airport for additional screening that consisted of wiping the zippers on my backpack (carry-on) with what looked like a Stridex acne pad. They stuck the pad in a machine to test, then asked me if I had recently handled firearms before they let me go on my merry way without even looking inside my bag. I had used that backpack as a range bag numerous times prior to that incident.
(pre 9-11)

cush
07-24-2010, 1:17 AM
Last time I got searched was for a paperback book.
Just a common mass market book - that had a printed foil cover and they couldn't decide what it was.
They pulled it out, laughed, put it back and I was on my way.
-cush

+etco2
07-24-2010, 6:25 AM
Good question. I've always wondered about this.

Blue
07-24-2010, 6:53 AM
When I got married, my sister, and my new sister inlaws decorated my hotel room for me. There was hundreds of Hershey Kisses, dozens of condoms, and different bottles of lube strategically placed all over the room. After the wedding my wife and I retreated to the hotel room to discover all this stuff. The next morning, we had a super early flight out to Hawaii and I had to clean all that stuff up. The only luggage I had was the duffle bag that I had been using as a range bag, and I packed everything into it. When we arrived in Hawaii my bag was wrapped in the "YOUR BAG HAS BEEN SEARCHED BY TSA" tape all over it. I can only imagine the laughs they were having as they were searching my bag.