PDA

View Full Version : Burro vs Angeles Shooting range

scuds03
07-22-2010, 7:51 PM
Whos been to both? Which one is better?

toby
07-22-2010, 7:57 PM
Just look on the websites and judge for yourself! IMO Burro sucks! will never go there again tried it 7 or 8 times all the same, use to go to San Gabrial now I just do the desert.

Scratch705
07-22-2010, 8:15 PM
for public lanes, angeles will be the best just in terms of facility. but private range, burro is great.

bcrich
07-22-2010, 8:21 PM
angeles is cool because of all the steel targets out to 600yds, you can shoot 500yds at burro but only during the week but no steel is allowed (atleast in summer) personally I like angeles better

shoupdawg
07-22-2010, 8:46 PM
Burro for private range...Angeles for Public (i.e., shared) range.

23 Blast
07-22-2010, 9:26 PM
Been going to Burro for about 10-12 years now, and frankly it's gotten a whole
lot better. When I first started going put there, the "facilities" were ridiculously barren and it had a very wild and wooly feel to it with lots of gangster-looking types that seemed to favor that range. Still, for me it's the closest range I can shoot my rifles at and as long as I avoid Saturdays and Sundays, it's not too crowded and I can shoot at my own pace. I haven't been up to Angeles or Lytle yet.

J-cat
07-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Burro is primitive and you shoot into the setting sun in the afternoons.

scuds03
07-23-2010, 2:48 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys. Angeles is about 50 miles from me and Burro is about 30 (I'm in Garden Grove). Guess I'll just have to try both out. I'm going to Angeles today (Friday). Whats the desert spot that you go to? I'd like to find one a reasonable drive away from OC. I'm not one of those idiots that shoots signs or leaves garbage so i wont wreck any "secret" spots ;)

Cali-Shooter
07-23-2010, 11:14 AM
IMO Burro > Angeles. Of course BLM > Both of them.

/rant
Angeles has a horrendously long wait time for 'ceasefire' compared to Burro if you're done shooting your load too fast (no sexual connotations intended :rolleyes:)

Angeles has anal RO's and staff who come by all the tables to inspect the action of every firearm and every single round of ammunition to ensure that it is not magnetic.

Burro has crowded pistol shooting benches in which shooters are jam packed into small spaces and end up hitting each other with flying brass.

Burro Cyn staff are ready to chew anyone's *** out that are doing things like trying to get something from the shooting bench during ceasefire, even if it is clearly far away from any firearms or anything that is any sort of danger to anyone.

Angeles bans steel core or magnetic ammo. They will confiscate it until you leave their range.

Burro bans steel core or magnetic ammo, but they don't even bother to check if you shoot it. If you shoot it discreetly, they will never know.

Burro Cyn reloaded ammo sucks balls.

Angeles range ammo costs an arm and a leg.

Burro Cyn doesn't allow fruit to be shot at on the rifle range unless it is 100+ yards away.

jester
07-23-2010, 1:36 PM
Burro for private range...Angeles for Public (i.e., shared) range.

dITTO!

hOWEVER, YOU CAN RENT A PRIVATE RANGE AT aNGELES TOO...

Bongos
07-23-2010, 1:51 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. Angeles is about 50 miles from me and Burro is about 30 (I'm in Garden Grove). Guess I'll just have to try both out. I'm going to Angeles today (Friday). Whats the desert spot that you go to? I'd like to find one a reasonable drive away from OC. I'm not one of those idiots that shoots signs or leaves garbage so i wont wreck any "secret" spots ;)

I'm from GG also, the drive to is actually about 15 minutes difference (no traffic) due to Burro about 7-8 miles in land, Angeles is nicer where you can set up targets at 25yards and hit steel targets out 600yards, Burro is also nice with starting targets at 50 yards, but the nice thing is it goes back 200 yards (not at an incline like Angeles where you can hike out to 300 yards for paper targets). Advantage is base on your caliber, if you are shooting 223, the 25yrd comes in handly sighting in your iron sights, 300 Win Mag does not stable until 300 yards... During peak traffic, I would go to Burro.

UserM4
07-23-2010, 3:27 PM
GG in tha house!

jonni
07-23-2010, 3:50 PM
Angeles for public rifle range

Burro for private range or trap/skeet shooting

elsolo
07-24-2010, 2:42 AM
Burro sucks in every category:

Primitive facilities
Lots of questionable people
Short rifle range
Poor enforcement of their own rules
Too crowded
The layout makes it harder to keep an eye on your stuff
The road to get there sucks

Angeles is a pretty decent facility:

Rock solid, individual, concrete shooting benches
Tables behind shooting benches for your stuff, or cleaning your rifle
Shaded shooting area regardless of sun position
Don't need to bring targets, steel swingers out to 600 yards
RO's judiciously enforce range rules
More serious shooters, fewer gangbangers, no loitering non-shooters
The layout makes it much easier to keep an eye on your stuff
Road to get there is drive-able in any car, you won't get carsick or carjacked, and only a few miles from the freeway.

AlliedArmory
07-24-2010, 2:53 AM
Angeles is great for rifles, pistols and even some shotgun.

Burro hands down for a private range, but their public range is just bleh

gunsmithcats
07-24-2010, 2:03 PM
When I go with myself or with brother, always angeles.

Burro anytime for bringing other shooters, friends, etc. Private range is the way to go, each dude pumps in 20 and we blast away at OUR pace, on OUR own terms, and with OUR safety measures.
We'll set up our own targets and do our own drills.

Bobotheclown
07-24-2010, 2:43 PM
Just got back from angeles. ROs aren't that bad. Pretty fun shooting the shilouettes targets.

Scratch705
07-24-2010, 3:03 PM
Burro sucks in every category:

The road to get there sucks

ha, first time i've seen someone actually complain about the drive up. i love the drive up. very scenic and love the twisties.

UserM4
07-24-2010, 3:38 PM
Love the dam area. I like driving to Burro more but like everyone said, it's only for private range time. The porta potty stinks!

Cali-Shooter
07-24-2010, 6:40 PM
Love the dam area. I like driving to Burro more but like everyone said, it's only for private range time. The porta potty stinks!

Yes, big Amen to that :puke:. They use portable potties as permanent waste disposal places. Horrendous. Next time I'm up there, I'm going in the bushes somewhere.

Black Majik
07-24-2010, 6:45 PM
Angeles is my preference between the two. Dennis and crew run a tight ship, I don't feel like I'm entering the wild west when I'm at Angeles. No need to really look over my shoulder expecting to get ND'ed in the back unexpectedly.

The 600 yard steel is excellent for the rifle side. The pistol steel gallery is a lot of fun.

The ONLY reason to go to Burro Canyon is to rent out a bay with some friends. The public range should hand out bullet proof vests.

In_this_city
07-24-2010, 6:56 PM
I will never go to Burro for their public range. Only to rent a private spot. Angeles is clean, steel targets are nice, plenty of sturdy benches, and its closer to my house than Burro is. Plus Angeles has a hot dog cart on the weekends.