PDA

View Full Version : does a locked closet count as "locked"?

Henry47
04-19-2006, 9:28 PM
I have multiple long guns and do not wish to lock each of them individually with gun locks, nor do I have a safe to hold them. If I put a lock on my closet and had the longguns in the closet, is this considered "locked"? btw, if it makes any difference, there are minors in the house. Am I breaking any laws by doing this?

220RR
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
just buy a safe.dont you want to keep your guns safe in a safe.id be mad as F..k if somebody took my stuff

repete34
04-27-2006, 6:49 PM
I am of the opinion that because there are CA DOJ approved containers the courts here in CA will only count those as "locked"

Just my opinion... +1 treelogger except for cable / trigger locks. I think the only trigger lock worth anything is the prolok the rest are BAD.

capitol
04-27-2006, 6:53 PM
I have multiple long guns and do not wish to lock each of them individually with gun locks, nor do I have a safe to hold them. If I put a lock on my closet and had the longguns in the closet, is this considered "locked"? btw, if it makes any difference, there are minors in the house. Am I breaking any laws by doing this?

Are you serious :o

dhl
04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Kids eventually will get into anything. A safe is, well, safe and legal protection. For $1,000 more or less it's great peace of mind and satisfies the state. Don't be stupid and think a cheap lock on a closet door is realistic protection against anyone. Get a safe, you'll feel better, your family will be better off and you'll be legal.

Rob454
05-25-2006, 4:00 PM
I bouoght a Sentry safe at turners for 340$. Holds all my guns and stuff. A closet is really easy to break into and I wouldnt not consider it a locked area. Hell go get yourself a metal tool box for a pick up truck and set it upright weld some wheels on it or a spacer and at least it will be considered a locked area.
Rob

socalguns
05-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Don't let these guys confuse or scare you.
As long as you the closet is secured
by padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device
, you're in good shape fine.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.htm

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

dhl
05-25-2006, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=socalguns]Don't let these guys confuse or scare you.
As long as you the closet is secured
by padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device
, you're in good shape fine.

Are your kids really worth your taking the chance they can't get into a locked closet? Ever hunt for Christmas presents when you were a kid or try to get into somewhere you weren't supposed to? That's not confusing but, it is scary because it is the truth. A safe is designed to keep professional theives out for a good period of time and it'll keep your kids out during opportunistic adventures when you're away at work.

socalguns
05-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not taking any chances.
Henry47 is an adult, and he can decide for himself.
His question was if its legal. It is legal.
If your kids will take a screwdriver/crowbar to a locked door,
you have other issues :)

Henry47
05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
thanks for the advice guys, but these "minors" are 16+ in age, so I'm not too worried about them playing with guns since they are reasonably responsible. I'm not worried about them getting to it, but am more worried about a domestic dispute/fire/burglary occuring and LEO seeing the closet for some odd reason.