PDA

View Full Version : More Gun Shop FUD: HSC Age Req.

The Cable Guy
07-22-2010, 6:30 PM
Quick Question, without looking it up, what do you think the minimum age requirement is to get an Handgun Safety Certificate? (HSC) This is only to take the test, to get the HSC in order to be eligible to purchase a handgun at age 21+.

16?
18?
21?

Of course a quick google search and a few clicks into the CA Attorney General's website, you'll find that it states the following in the FAQ portion of the HSC Program page: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs.php

Are there any minimum qualifications/requirements for a person who wants to take the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) test?
The only requirements are that the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) applicant must be at least 18 years of age and must present clear evidence of identity and age by presenting a California Driver's License or California Department of Motor Vehicles Identification Card.

I went to a gun store on the way to work with the intention of getting my HSC to have ready for my purchase of a handgun when I turn 21 next Wednesday. I gave the gun store clerk my ID, she saw that I wasn't 21 yet and promptly began to put away the test materials as she proceeded to misinform me that I had to be 21 to take the test.

Obviously I did my homework the week before so I specifically asked if she was sure, and that I checked the website and saw that to take the test you must be 18. She said "Nope, that's for rifles and shotguns". Which is strange since the Handgun Safety Certificate is only needed for, I don't know.. Handguns?

On the way back home, I called a local range who had a pro-shop and asked them the minimum age requirement to take the HSC, after a brief pause, they responded with "You have to be 21."

What is it with gun stores and ranges NOT knowing the LAW?

/rant

aermotor
07-22-2010, 7:42 PM
Most gun stores don't know the laws. It's sad.

Hornetsnest
07-22-2010, 8:16 PM
Maybe they do know the laws, but the owners/corporate office only wants the shop testing 21 and up :shrug:

tuna quesadilla
07-22-2010, 8:20 PM
Print out the relevant info from the DOJ website and shove it in her face. Then inform the manager/owner that you will never be coming back because they clearly like to enforce random, made-up laws and are therefore NOT on the side of CA gun owners.

Josh3239
07-22-2010, 8:20 PM
I had that same problem when I was 18.

mtambio
07-22-2010, 9:25 PM
I wanted to get my HSC so I could get a handgun transferred to me from my father(I am 20). I called Grant Boys(Costa Mesa) ahead to make sure there would not be any hiccups. First a young girl answers, she said all I needed to do is come in. I asked if all I needed was my D.L., she told me I needed two proofs of residence. I told her thank you and hung up. I thought that was weird, so I double checked the California Attorney General site. Then proceeded to call again. This time an older gentleman answered and correctly answered my questions.

I walk into the store, go to the gun counter, ask to take the HSC test and the first thing he asks me is if I am 21.
I say "No, I am 20"
"You need to be 21 to take the test"
"Actually, you need to be 18 as stated on the California Attorney General's web site."
"Oh, I guess you just schooled me..."

The Cable Guy
07-23-2010, 6:41 PM
I wanted to get my HSC so I could get a handgun transferred to me from my father(I am 20). I called Grant Boys(Costa Mesa) ahead to make sure there would not be any hiccups. First a young girl answers, she said all I needed to do is come in. I asked if all I needed was my D.L., she told me I needed two proofs of residence. I told her thank you and hung up. I thought that was weird, so I double checked the California Attorney General site. Then proceeded to call again. This time an older gentleman answered and correctly answered my questions.

I walk into the store, go to the gun counter, ask to take the HSC test and the first thing he asks me is if I am 21.
I say "No, I am 20"
"You need to be 21 to take the test"
"Actually, you need to be 18 as stated on the California Attorney General's web site."
"Oh, I guess you just schooled me..."

Is that what he really said?

The Cable Guy
07-24-2010, 4:59 PM
Quick question, do they give you the HSC on the spot after you pass the test, or do you need to wait for it to come in the mail?

stitchnicklas
07-24-2010, 5:26 PM
what was the fud stores name????

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 5:30 PM

+1. If so, I'll school him by providing more bad PR than he can handle.

Quick question, do they give you the HSC on the spot after you pass the test, or do you need to wait for it to come in the mail?

Yep, it's issued as soon as the test is scored.

what was the fud stores name????

Please let us know BOTH stores that told you this.

mtambio
07-24-2010, 6:43 PM

Yes. He was a young guy ~22.
I was not upset, I just felt that the employees should have at least a base line of gun law knowledge.

The store was Grant's Boys in Costa Mesa. While they were very ignorant, the staff was quite friendly.

The Cable Guy
07-24-2010, 7:13 PM
Old West Guns in City of Industy and OC Indoor range in brea. The latter is a good bunch of guys from what I can gather every time I go there. I'm sure they would've checked if I had questioned them, but the first lady at Old West guns was extremely condescending and non-receptive of the facts.

Munk
07-24-2010, 7:51 PM
Meh, they're used to people trying to PURCHASE handguns pre-21, and so are used to that line. It's not particularly common for people to get handguns transfered to them between 18-21 so I can kinda forgive them for not knowing. What sucks about this is that many times they will refuse to back down, or even LOOK at the AG site, or the relevant laws.