PDA

View Full Version : XD Vs. M&P for first handgun

Newshooter
07-22-2010, 5:23 PM
Another Newbie here looking for some input. I am looking to purchase my first semi-automatic pistol and have narrowed it down to the XD or the M&P. The gun will be a 9mm and will be full size. I was hoping to get any pros and/or cons for both models from the experienced users of this forum. Thanks for any and all input!!

CarlozRossi
07-22-2010, 5:41 PM
Imma noob too, and in the same position your in. I absolutely fell in love with both of these and in IMHO you can't go wrong with either. I've found that the XD has a bit more aftermarket accessories available though. Both have excellent ergonomics and both are really reliable.

I'm saving up for both. The Subcompact XD in 40. and a M&P9c. You'll find that the XD Service Model is about $100 less than the M&P. The M&P does have a lower bore axis than the XD but IMO you cant really tell a significant difference when firing both.

sholling
07-22-2010, 5:50 PM
Both are good reliable pistols. The M&P is made in the USA and the XD in Croatia. Both have lifetime warranties from companies renowned for their superb customer service. Personally I prefer the M&P for the lower barrel axis and the interchangeable backstrap allowing you to fit it to your hand or add a Crimson Trace grip laser. And I like the the looks of the M&P better. But both are excellent handguns. Both have lots of holster and accessory choices.

Edit: In the compact versions I prefer the 1/2" longer barrel of the M&P. The 3.5" M&P is every bit as concealable and the extra 1/2" of barrel improves the ballistics of round.

Legasat
07-22-2010, 5:55 PM
Both made my top 3 list when I was looking. I chose M&P because it was more comfortable in my hand, and therefore I shot it better (more accurately).

The only intelligent way for you to choose is to go rent both, and shoot them side by side (like I did). See which shoots better, which is more comfortable, etc.

Both are fine handguns, and you won't lose which ever one you choose.

OneSevenDeuce
07-22-2010, 6:00 PM
Honestly? They are both great guns. Go out and rent each one from a range and shoot them a bunch. You'll know which one is best for you after a couple boxes of ammo.

kozumasbullitt
07-22-2010, 6:00 PM
Both are great as well as the glock 17, you should hold all 3 to see what feels best.

Fate
07-22-2010, 6:01 PM
Agree with what the above respondents said. M&P was my choice. I now own two of them with an eye on a compact :)

Nor-Cal
07-22-2010, 6:50 PM
My first semi auto handgun was a SA XD, really liked how I shot with it and very comfterble, now I have 3 xds, but like others say go to a range and try all your choices before choosing which to purchase

CSACANNONEER
07-22-2010, 6:51 PM
It should come down to which one fits you the best. But, I'd suggest buying a .22lr pistol first! It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

Dismal_Scientist
07-22-2010, 7:43 PM
Honestly? They are both great guns. Go out and rent each one from a range and shoot them a bunch. You'll know which one is best for you after a couple boxes of ammo.
This :cool:

KillZone45
07-22-2010, 7:44 PM
Some good answers, I like how this thread has stayed on track. I have the XD and would love to own an M&P, I tried to get a used one but I am getting an H&K instead. You will be happy with any gun you get really.

Acorn556
07-22-2010, 7:45 PM
I have the M&P in a 40 and I was set on the XD. Picked up the S&W M&P and it fit so much better in my hand.

Had a buddy shopping recently and told him the same advice. Shoot it, hold it, read reviews online, hold it again, shoot it some more, then buy one.

evidens83
07-22-2010, 8:30 PM
M&P9 all the way no contest.

OneSevenDeuce
07-22-2010, 8:36 PM
As you can see, everyone has their pet favorite. :D

Noah3683
07-22-2010, 8:40 PM
If this is going to be your only pistol for the time being and you are dead set on a compact model............ Go with the m&p. At least you get an extra 1/2" of barrel and it also conceals better than the xd. That being said I love my xd9 and I am now starting to love my glock 23 (with 9mm barrel for the range) You should really consider looking into a full frame for your first though. At the least consider something in the size range of a Glock 19/23

drunktank
07-22-2010, 9:23 PM
Prefer the trigger and grip on the smith. Best to try them both since everyone's hands are different. Good luck with your pick!

Newshooter
07-22-2010, 9:45 PM
Noah, this gun will be full size. I want this gun to be used at the range. I live in Sacramento county and getting a CCW here is next to impossible.

3GunFunShooter
07-22-2010, 9:58 PM
I got my XD 9 Tactical 5 years ago, and use it in IDPA competition. Great gun, never a problem. Over 7000 rounds. I have looked at the M&P since they came out. Both are great guns. Get what fits your hand best. I still have my Glock 35, but had to get the grip reduction after I shot the XD a lot better. If only Glock would come out with an better grip angle.

Noah3683
07-22-2010, 9:58 PM
Noah, this gun will be full size. I want this gun to be used at the range. I live in Sacramento county and getting a CCW here is next to impossible.Oops, haha sorry, I mixed up your post and the one below.... In that case, they are both fine weapons. I wish I could combine certain features from both, and it would be the perfect weapon. I mainly hate that damn beavertail on the S&W but other than that I think it's a little nicer weapon. The S&W has a little nicer trigger and adjustable backstraps. The M&P seems more prone to rust because the melonite doesn't like stainless as much as carbon steel. However, if you let it rust you have no business owning a gun anyway ;). The XD has a grip safety..... some view that as a positive some as a negative. I happen to like it.

code33
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Have you shot both?
They are both excellent shooters.
You'll probably never have to do this but the M&P strips down to the bare frame/slide and re-assembles much easier.

cineski
07-22-2010, 10:21 PM
The best feeling gun is not necessarily the best shooting. Go to a range if you can and rent these as well as the others suggested here. I personally don't have any experience with the 9mm M&P. The full size XD9 left me scratching my head because I love the XD45 so much but disliked the XD9 a lot. Ended up going Glock.

jbohon
07-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I had the same debate when I started shopping. I rented both of them and spent a little time getting to know them but still had a really hard time deciding. The clincher was when I took my wife out to fire them both, she couldn't get the XD to cycle reliably but kept solid groups with the M&P. The rangemaster told us that some people have a difficult time keeping the muzzle flip on the XD from eating up the momentum of the slide. :confused: Don't know if that's true or not... The M&P found a nice new home in my nightstand.

Old4eyes
07-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Both the XD and M&P are quality guns. Go rent and buy what is most comfortable to shoot. I've got XD's and they fit my hand well. I may get a M&P someday.

But then, I want a Dan Wesson, a CZ75b, and there's a SIG that calls to me late at night, a Kimber, another S&W 1911. So many guns, so little money. Maybe that California Safe Gun list is there to keep me from going broke.

CarlozRossi
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM
If this is going to be your only pistol for the time being and you are dead set on a compact model............ Go with the m&p. At least you get an extra 1/2" of barrel and it also conceals better than the xd. That being said I love my xd9 and I am now starting to love my glock 23 (with 9mm barrel for the range) You should really consider looking into a full frame for your first though. At the least consider something in the size range of a Glock 19/23

Thanks! I've been dead set on a compact/subcompact but more and more people have been telling me to go for the full size for my first handgun. Haven't shot the full size versions of the XD or M&P yet, so I don't really know how the differences between the sizes will affect me.

UserM4
07-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I'll take the DAO. Less chance of getting grilled in court.

code33
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
What do you mean?

randy
07-23-2010, 1:50 AM

What makes you think this is true?

The M&P has a lower bore axis so it should have less muzzle flip, faster follow up shots. The M&P should come back in a straighter motion than the XD.
One of the above posters mentioned his wife had issues with the XD that could be the reason.

The safety on the XD that won't let me rack the slide unless it's compressed doesn't work for me. Others may like it, personal preference.

The hot rod guys are pretty impressed with the M&P along with the LASD firearms unit. Don't know if that matters or not but that's what I know. Since most people won't have hi caps for either it's a wash but does give old people like me a reason to keep my Glocks.

Jimmy310
07-23-2010, 2:48 AM
Tally up another one for the M&P. I shot one less than 2 weeks ago for the first time after being recommended one and had to have one. I pick it up on monday. I loved the way it felt in my hand, looked, the trigger, but most definitely i loved how it shot. The pistol is a tack driver! Ive not been this exited about a pistol in a long time, this one just really spoke to me!

Hope the pistol you choose connects with you too.

Old Timer
07-23-2010, 6:05 AM
I had to make the same decision a few years ago. I was given the option of carrying either the XD or M&P as my duty sidearm. I researched both (the M&P was still pretty new so there wasn't much available yet) and shot both at the Police Range. Both turned out to be excellent firearms. Neither gave me any trouble at all and both were more accurate than I am. I finally settled on the M&P .40. I now have about 5000 rounds down range in practice and quarterly qualifications with never a problem of any sort. I have never regretted going with the M&P even though I still think the XD is also an excellent sidearm.

Either way you won't be disappointed.

Scorpiusdeus
07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I own both in .40 S&W. I love them both, BUT I prefer the M&P over the XD. I'm not even sure why, I just do.

I think the M&P has slightly less felt recoil, but in 9mm that should not be an issue.

The good news is that which ever way you go, you're going to be happy. Good luck.

phamkl
07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I honestly wasn't too sure about the M&P before I fired it. I've always been one of those guys who were prejudiced against polymer frame handguns, and that remained true after I handled Glocks and XDs, and then when I fired the M&P, I changed my mind immediately. I had been shopping for some steel frame subcompact but I changed my list and started looking for an M&P.

lmudave
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I've got both... m&p .45 with the apex tactical sear and an xd .357sig with 9mm and .40 barrel conversions... both are great guns, but if I were only going to choose one I think i'd go with the M&P as it just seems an overall more well made gun. Plus its extremely comfortable in my hand and not as top heavy as the XD line. Either way you can't go wrong. You could probably pick up a used XD for a very good price however, i got mine for $350... so if money is a consideration that may be the way to go.

orangeglo
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I love my M&P 45. I have also shot an XD45 but I prefer my M&P.

Sam
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Care to cite cases? Besides, neither gun in this thread is DAO.

Gryff
07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I am a huge XD fan, but I chose an M&P Compact for my CCW gun. You can't go wrong with either, so rent and shoot both, then choose the one you like the best.

SCB5794
07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I normal would say GLOCK, but the M&P is a really nice gun!

uhmeebuh
07-23-2010, 1:02 PM
Having owned both, I would say it comes down to ergonomics and features.

The XD has a lot of cool features which may or may not be important to you. The M&P, likewise.

I did sell an XD9 and have since picked up an M&P 45 so I might be biased...

Old Timer
07-23-2010, 2:15 PM
I love them both, BUT I prefer the M&P over the XD. I'm not even sure why, I just do.I am the same way. I just prefer the M&P but can't really articulate why! :)

Turo
07-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Newshooter:

In essence, the two guns you listed as well as the Glock with the same attributes are practically the same. Go shoot them and see which fits you best and buy that one. In my experience, the XD fit my hand better than the M&P, and the Glock fit better than both of those, so I bought a Glock. But that's what fit my hands, and my hands are different than yours.

The only opinions you'll get in here are based on which gun fits the user. So my recommendation is to shoot all three, (preferably back to back, and more than 50 rounds through each) and see which you like best. You may even surprise yourself and pick one you didn't originally think you liked.

UserM4
07-23-2010, 2:49 PM

I was under the impression that the M&P was a partial cocker like the Glock but I guess I was wrong. Then for a striker, I'd lean towards a Glock or an SR9c. Anyways, this is where I got my information. Massad Ayoob talks about triggers and cites examples. http://content.blubrry.com/proarms/022.mp3

WWDHD?
07-23-2010, 3:00 PM
I own an M&P 9mm full size.
Pros: Nice big sights, American made, lifetime warrenty, 3 grips to chose from, hundreds of PDs and SOs around the country carry it, should be durable since it was designed as a .40S&W. Slide release on both sides. Last time I was at my local range I saw that theres a $50 rebate from S&W( or 2 extra mags).
Cons: Its plastic, but I guess that just the way of the world now.

I shot an XD 9mm once and it seemed fine. Nothing remarkable to me. Seems to be very popular, cheaper $$$ than a Glock. Maybe I need to shot one again sometime.

Try them both, or flip a coin. You probably can't go wrong either way. My opinion is go with the S&W. Buy American, while you still can!!!

puropuro
07-23-2010, 3:15 PM
I have to abstain from saying anything on the XD since I haven't shot one, but I LOVE my M&P .40. I have often told my wife that this is one of my guns that I fully trust my life with. It also just "feels right" in my hand.

nimbus
07-23-2010, 3:40 PM
I'd on the M&P bandwagon, too. Gonna get a 9mm as soon as I save up enough money for it. I've shot them both and my hand feels better on the M&P.

HkFan416
07-23-2010, 3:45 PM
It doesn't matter which one you get dude, you'll end up owning both anyways lol.

Newshooter
07-23-2010, 3:53 PM
The reason I have not included Glock in this mix is I have had the opportunity to shoot a Glock and the grip does not fit my hand. I have a lot of buddies who love their Glocks. I just hope the don't make me an outsider for straying from the group.

HkFan, you are probably right!!

shootdamoon
07-23-2010, 4:59 PM
XD and M&P are both great guns. Rented and shot both before buying and they are very similar and comparable. You will not have buyer's remorse with either one. Sometimes the gun picks you and not you picking the gun. Other times it's timing. You happen to check out a gun and they happen to be running a sale or promo which makes your decision a whole lot easier. Or they had one in stock and the other on order so you go with what was available. I bought the M&P 9mm and is my primary competition gun. Not because I thought it is a better shooter but for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons. M&P just looked and felt better to me both while shooting and looking through the display case at the store. Don't get too caught up on the specs as they are about even and both are more accurate than I can shoot. There is no wrong or right, good or better it's all preference.

Shenaniguns
07-23-2010, 5:22 PM

Not sure what S&W classifies it as but it is closer to Glock's "Safe Action", USPSA/IDPA puts it in the class with the DAO guns while the XD's system falls into the SAO category.

Richie Caketown
07-23-2010, 5:36 PM
wait.. the M&P has a lifetime warranty? in the cards i remember reading it was only a one year warranty.

one more vote here for the M&P better ergos available to it and its got more style. Its what the glock wishes it could have been.

Btw if you are in san diego you are more than welcome to shoot a few rounds through one of my M&P pistols if interested

Shenaniguns
07-23-2010, 5:43 PM
XD and M&P are both great guns. Rented and shot both before buying and they are very similar and comparable. You will not have buyer's remorse with either one. Sometimes the gun picks you and not you picking the gun. Other times it's timing. You happen to check out a gun and they happen to be running a sale or promo which makes your decision a whole lot easier. Or they had one in stock and the other on order so you go with what was available. I bought the M&P 9mm and is my primary competition gun. Not because I thought it is a better shooter but for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons. M&P just looked and felt better to me both while shooting and looking through the display case at the store. Don't get too caught up on the specs as they are about even and both are more accurate than I can shoot. There is no wrong or right, good or better it's all preference.

The more serious you get about shooting and get past just 'plinking' these things can and do matter.

Shenaniguns
07-23-2010, 5:46 PM
wait.. the M&P has a lifetime warranty? in the cards i remember reading it was only a one year warranty.

one more vote here for the M&P better ergos available to it and its got more style. Its what the glock wishes it could have been.

Btw if you are in san diego you are more than welcome to shoot a few rounds through one of my M&P pistols if interested

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765668_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Meet the M&P From Smith & Wesson.

Reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, proven safety features. The new standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line.

Available in .40S&W, 9mm and 357Sig.

In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety. ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.

Dubious_Beans
07-23-2010, 6:08 PM
I haven't fired an M&P, but when I was shopping I fondled one at the shop.

I didn't like the way the Glocks felt in my hand. I guess I was a little disappointed because the Glock was high on my list because of their renowned reliability. But they just didn't feel good in MY hand. I liked the M&P pretty well. It felt nice. The XD9 (service model) felt "just right" so I bought it.
Have fired about 550 rounds through it with NO problems.

I liked it well enough to buy a second one (sub compact) to keep at the shop. Still got a few days wait until I can pick it up. sigh....

Glock, XD, M&P... go out and handle (and shoot if you can) all of them and see what fit's YOU best.

It's like blonds, brunettes, redheads... some guys got a preference, but if you find one that fits YOUR particular style over the others, than that's the one to marry regardless of "brand".

Of course with guns you can marry a bunch of them if you find that ONE doesn't suit all of your needs. :D

D.Beans

smarter
07-23-2010, 8:09 PM
m&p

G60
07-24-2010, 1:18 AM
m&p. i've owned both.
I look forward to shooting the m&p, i did not look forward to shooting the XD.

fit, finish, and materials on the m&p are much nicer, much more solid feeling in your hand.
m&p is completely ambidextrous.

Fate
07-24-2010, 11:20 AM
As an interesting side note, anyone notice that the ratio of used XDs to used M&Ps for sale on the forum is ~15 to 1? That might be telling you something ;)

Scorpiusdeus
07-24-2010, 12:06 PM
As an interesting side note, anyone notice that the ratio of used XDs to used M&Ps for sale on the forum is ~15 to 1? That might be telling you something ;)

I've noticed this as well though, owning both, I really can't say why.

After once, in a fit of stupidity, selling my Sigg P228 (since bought back), I won't sell another handgun.

I have shot a USPSA match with the XD and I shot my best single stage score ever. I have yet to try my M&P at USPSA.

For me it's just a matter of feel really. I Really like my XD as well as my M&P.

What I REALLY want is an M&PL 9mm.

FireSpitter
07-24-2010, 1:40 PM
I agree with renting each before you buy. Renting is a great way to get a little hands on, but don't judge a gun from your rental too harshly. A range rental gun is usually very worn and dirty so you don't always get the real feel of how the pistol operates. I once rented a Sig 226 and I thought it was a piece of junk, months later I fired a friend's 226 and it shot like a dream. Use a rental to determine how comfortable the pistol is while firing and which one you can better acquire a good firing grip quickly.
on the note of one vs the other I am all in favor of the XD. In my opinion the XD is everything a Glock should be with the exception of the trigger pull (Glock still owns that). The M&P is no doubt a quality pistol so it really boils down to what you can effectively get rounds on target with.

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 2:06 PM
Just an FYI about the mentioned guns, many well known firearm instructors and industry professionals like Larry Vickers, Todd Green, Magpul Dynamics, James Yeager, Ken Hackathorn, Gary Robert aka DocGKR give a thumbs up to 9mm Glocks and the M&P series but not the XD or XDm so take that as a possible clue.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 2:25 PM
Just an FYI about the mentioned guns, many well known firearm instructors and industry professionals like Larry Vickers, Todd Green, Magpul Dynamics, James Yeager, Ken Hackathorn, Gary Robert aka DocGKR give a thumbs up to 9mm Glocks and the M&P series but not the XD or XDm so take that as a possible clue.

Do you ever stop? Seems like you are Hell bent on trashing XD's reputation. People need to stop worrying so much about others and just concentrate on them selves. I like my XD...A LOT! But I am not going to be some stupid fan boy and trash Glock, S&W, etc. I actually was looking to buy a G19 or S&W M&P! But I ended up with neither because I found a gun I have always wanted to own at a price that fit. Most of the people on this forum are not professional shooters so the advice of those Pro's doesnt really hold much water.

Sam
07-24-2010, 2:40 PM
Do you ever stop? Seems like you are Hell bent on trashing XD's reputation. People need to stop worrying so much about others and just concentrate on them selves. I like my XD...A LOT! But I am not going to be some stupid fan boy and trash Glock, S&W, etc. I actually was looking to buy a G19 or S&W M&P! But I ended up with neither because I found a gun I have always wanted to own at a price that fit. Most of the people on this forum are not professional shooters so the advice of those Pro's doesnt really hold much water.

He posted that professionals recommend one over the other, maybe you shouldn't get so bent out of shape about it. We aren't professionals but we should still pay some attention to what they say.

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 2:46 PM
He posted that professionals recommend one over the other, maybe you shouldn't get so bent out of shape about it. We aren't professionals but we should still pay some attention to what they say.

Exactly, too many people get to emotional over these tools and turn a blind eye to people who have shot, taught or witnessed 50,000 to 100,000 rounds a year under stressful environments.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 4:26 PM

....and you are telling me the thousands of other threads he has posted in bashing the XD you haven't noticed the same attitude by him time and time again. That is why I commented, it is the same ol' stuff.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 4:29 PM
Exactly, too many people get to emotional over these tools and turn a blind eye to people who have shot, taught or witnessed 50,000 to 100,000 rounds a year under stressful environments.

I am def not emotional, I am not biased towards one brand or another. Seems to me that you are the one who is emotional always being the S&W fan boy, just give it up! lol....

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 4:30 PM
....and you are telling me the thousands of other threads he has posted in bashing the XD you haven't noticed the same attitude by him time and time again. That is why I commented, it is the same ol' stuff.

It is the same question and I gave him the same answers, should I change my answers to make you feel better?

Sam
07-24-2010, 4:32 PM
There's a vast difference between presenting facts and bashing something. Your fanboyism for the XD is showing.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 4:33 PM
It is the same question and I gave him the same answers, should I change my answers to make you feel better?

No, but their are plenty of satisfied XD owners out there, it must say something. But you always quote the professionals out there how they say this and that about brand x and what not. Does this mean that since the professionals say it is a sub-par gun that we should all sell them and get what they recommend? What he needs to do like a few have mentioned is rent them and see how he likes them, not take advice from the internet and then purchase his weapon.

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 4:34 PM
I am def not emotional, I am not biased towards one brand or another. Seems to me that you are the one who is emotional always being the S&W fan boy, just give it up! lol....

The S&W fanboy that carries a Glock 19? :rolleyes: How about I've owned and shot various handguns the past 12 years. And before you call my a Glock fanboy I do own a M&P FS9 as well, so I don't fit the criteria of a fanboy :D

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 4:35 PM
There's a vast difference between presenting facts and bashing something. Your fanboyism for the XD is showing.

Nope not at all, obviously you didn't fully understand my post. I do have an XD, but I am looking to expand my collection so I was first looking at a G19 then shifted towards an M&P. The owner sold his M&P so I have been looking at other guns and settled on yet a different brand.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 4:37 PM
The S&W fanboy that carries a Glock 19? :rolleyes: How about I've owned and shot various handguns the past 12 years. And before you call my a Glock fanboy I do own a M&P FS9 as well, so I don't fit the criteria of a fanboy :D

Dont take me as getting mad its only the internet lol, butttttt you do push the M&P quite often. Just an FYI, from what I have read, and that has been mostly good reviews I tried to buy a used M&P in 9mm but I couldn't find one locally for sale.

Noah3683
07-24-2010, 4:46 PM
I like my xd9 better than my G23. I like my new m&p40c better than both. IMO the glock has the best finish of the 3, the m&P has better ergos and the xd better safety features. My only gripe on the xd is the weight. I prefer the grip on the m&p and xd more but the glock is easy to hold as well. I don't see why everyone makes it such a big deal. The grip angle is the biggest stretched out ordeal between all of them. If you can't adapt, pick a new hobby. The dumb SOB on the other end isn't going to care which one you use to put him down.

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 4:46 PM

:D

No, but their are plenty of satisfied XD owners out there, it must say something. But you always quote the professionals out there how they say this and that about brand x and what not. Does this mean that since the professionals say it is a sub-par gun that we should all sell them and get what they recommend? What he needs to do like a few have mentioned is rent them and see how he likes them, not take advice from the internet and then purchase his weapon.

Since he's a newb, he should get all the information he can from reputable sources before going out and shooting them to pick what he's buying. It's like having a 16 yo kid who knows nothing about cars test drive his car and pick it w/o any research into the possible reliabilty factors, cost of ownership, fuel economy, maintenance costs etc...

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 4:50 PM
I like my xd9 better than my G23. I like my new m&p40c better than both. IMO the glock has the best finish of the 3, the m&P has better ergos and the xd better safety features. My only gripe on the xd is the weight. I prefer the grip on the m&p and xd more but the glock is easy to hold as well. I don't see why everyone makes it such a big deal. The dumb SOB on the other end isn't going to care which one you use to put him down.

The Glock 23 was my first Glock and though I had no issues with it won't bother with .40 cal as it does nothing that 9mm will do for me except cost more and have more muzzle flip (Pre 4G)

Noah3683
07-24-2010, 4:55 PM
The Glock 23 was my first Glock and though I had no issues with it won't bother with .40 cal as it does nothing that 9mm will do for me except cost more and have more muzzle flip (Pre 4G)

I have to agree with this. In fact looking at many popular defense rds test data shows only microscopic expansion differences with 9mm actually having more expansion much of that time. Penetration differences are minimal as well. I think .40 only holds a REAL advantage in availability

Jason_2111
07-24-2010, 5:02 PM
Something I always say is to get to the range and rent them both (or barrow from a friend), and try them out for yourself. Whatever feels best, shoots best for you is the logical choice.
For my $.02, I'd say to go with S&W. I have one, and love it. The warranty and customer service is top notch too. And, buy American of course.
If you can hook up with someone that has an M&P to try it out, make sure you swap around the different backstraps to find the best ergo fit for you hands.

In this category of guns though, you should take a look at Glocks too. There are simply too man hard core Glock fans to discount them outright. That many people are probably on to something. But... always try before you buy. ;)

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 5:08 PM
Here's a fun little quote from lightfighter.net re: Glock vs. XD that was stated today:

Originally posted by cmcampbell:
You can get used to the feel of a reliable gun.
You have a hard time making a gun that feels good, but is unreliable, more reliable.

KillZone45
07-24-2010, 5:20 PM
Here's a fun little quote from lightfighter.net re: Glock vs. XD that was stated today:

Link please...

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 5:21 PM
Link please...

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1931084651/m/879107437

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 5:26 PM
And from Doc Roberts:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Since 1985, at various times I have been issued, qualified with, or authorized to carry the Beretta 92F & M9, Sig P228 & P226, S&W 3913 & 5906, Glock 17/19, S&W 4013 & 4006, Sig P220, S&W 4513 & 4566, various 1911ís, as well as several S&W revolvers including J, K, L , and N-frames. I also have a fair degree of experience with Browning Hi-Powers, Glock 22/23 & 21, various HK pistols, as well as the recent S&W M&P pistols. I have been certified as an armorer on several of these systems. All of these handguns had both good and bad characteristics. I have been lucky to have gotten to travel around the country and world quite a bit and gotten to see what other units and agencies are using and assess how their weapon systems are functioning. There are many pistols which will give adequate service for routine law enforcement or military duty use. The number of pistols which are reliable, durable, and ergonomic enough for very demanding law enforcement tactical and harsh military special operations use is much smaller.

Unless your department picks your caliber for you, pick the platform you shoot best, then decide on caliber from there. Basically all the standard service calibers work when using good quality ammunition; the platform picked tends to dictate the caliber. Currently the best duty pistols going right out of the box are probably the 9 mm Gen 3 Glocks, S&W M&P 40/45's, as well as the HK P30 and HK45.

For CCW and most urban LE duty, there are a lot of advantages in carrying a 9mm--easy to shoot one handed, relatively inexpensive to practice with, lots of bullets. When I injured my strong hand a few years ago and lost its use for several months, I found out how much more effective I was using a G19 weak handed compared to a 1911...

While I am not a big fan of the .357 Sig, if I was issued one and had lots of free ammunition available, I would have no issues about carrying one on a daily basis.

If I was in a department that issued .40 or was doing a lot of LE work around vehicles, I'd be strongly tempted to carry a M&P40. Lots of 180 gr JHP's that do well against intermediate barriers is a nice thing. In addition, I really like having a manual safety on a pistol that is used for uniformed LE use; I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... The M&P40 w/ambi safety and possibly a Performance Center or Apex sear will be the service pistol I'll pick if I ever go back to patrol duties again.

The nice aspects of .45 ACP is that it makes large holes, can be very accurate, and offers good penetration of some intermediate barriers. Unfortunately, magazine capacity is less than ideal, .45 ACP is more expensive to practice with, and in general is harder to shoot well compared with 9 mm. .45 ACP makes the most sense in states with idiotic 10 rd magazine restrictions, in departments that give you lots of free .45 ACP ammo, or in situations where modern expanding ammunition is restricted due to asinine, illogical regulations.

As I've said before:

If you want a Glock, get it in 9 mm...

The HK45 and HK P30 are good reliable service pistols, but beware of HK customer service and parts availability.

These days, skip new Sigs, although the older German made Sig 9 mmís are superb...

Unless you are issued one and have no other choice, forget Beretta.

XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD.

The M&P may just be the best LE service pistol produced to date. I was involved in a M&P40 trial at a large agency where four M&P40's fired 7000 rounds each in 1 week without any significant problems. Up to this point, we have not seen any major problems yet with M&P's (primarily .40 & .45's).

A properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. Keep in mind with 1911 pistols that calibers other than .45 ACP and barrels shorter than 5" induce increasingly greater problems. I personally will not use any 1911 with a Schwartz firing pin safety (like on the Kimber II pistols) as I have seen high numbers of them fail; the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety is the only one I might trust for urban LE use, but they have also been known to fail in harsh environments (particularly surf zone and high dust) so I generally prefer a standard USG style 1911 pistol w/o firing pin safety. However, I personally would not choose to carry most stock or even semi-custom 1911's on duty without making sure they were set-up properly with reliable function, durable parts, and ergonomic execution. I firmly believe that if you want a 1911 for serious use, the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry weapon is the SA Pro model (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail); if youíre not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911... I write this after being around quite a few 1911's over the past two decades of military and LE duty, including GI, commercial Colt, SA (Milspec, Loaded, MC Oper, Professional models), Wilson, Kimber, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Para Ord, as well as custom pistols by folks like Bill Laughridge, Wayne Novak/Joe Bonar, Ed Brown, John Jardine, Hilton Yam, Larry Vickers, and Chuck Rogers. I'd strongly recommend anyone contemplating a 1911 for serious use read all of the material on 1911's here: http://www.10-8performance.com/Articles.html (http://www.10-8performance.com/Articles.html). For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with the S&W M&P45 or HK45

In fact, these days, if I already didnít have several 1911ís that were as reliable as my 9 mm Glocks, along with extensive accessories for 1911ís, I would just use an S&W M&P45 instead.

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to carrying it. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.

rips31
07-24-2010, 5:28 PM
i can't stand the glock/xd-style triggers...that little safety-thing always tears up my finger pad. i own a glock, but i definitely like the m&p trigger over the glock/xd trigger. m&p, even with the backstrap, is just too thin for my hands. i'd probably put an overgrip (hogue) on it if i got one.

bottom line, like everyone else says, shoot a couple boxes through both and see which you like better. luck!

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 5:35 PM
If you really want to see some pure XD hate go here:
http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/962106881/m/5301083834?r=9961057834#9961057834

Quoting James Yeager:
"XDs suck"

Fate
07-24-2010, 5:39 PM
http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1931084651/m/879107437

Care to copy/paste for those of us without registration there (we can't read it)?

Greg-Dawg
07-24-2010, 5:43 PM
Neither, get a Deagle.

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 6:13 PM
Care to copy/paste for those of us without registration there (we can't read it)?

That's a lot of c&p lol

Olav
07-24-2010, 6:14 PM
M&P

Fate
07-24-2010, 7:38 PM
That's a lot of c&p lol

Ah, thought it was just one post. Guess I'll sign up :)

Shenaniguns
07-24-2010, 7:45 PM
Ah, thought it was just one post. Guess I'll sign up :)

Oh, that was the whole quote lol

Fate
07-24-2010, 7:53 PM
Bahahahaha.... ::insert facepalm pic here::

Looking back I don't even remember seeing the quote!

Checked out getoffthex and ho man. According to them, if it's not a Glock it's $%^&. :)

CRACKERJACK
08-10-2010, 4:47 PM
If only Glock would come out with an better grip angle.

I think a lot of people feel the same way. If only I could get my hands on one of these http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=80127&CAT=3168 I'd probably have one right now.

tacticalcity
08-10-2010, 4:51 PM
XD has a shorter trigger reset. Allowing you to trap the trigger to the rear after your first shot and get more accurate/faster/smoother followup shots. This is critical aspect of marksmanship. The M&P forces you to completely release the trigger before you can pull it again and fire follow up shots, which is jerky/sloppy/inaccurate. That said, the XD has a reset that is much longer than I like. The Glock is a much, much better option. The reset is considerably shorter making is much easier to master and much more consistant.

Some handguns to consider if you do not like Glocks.

- HK USP with a V1 trigger pack. It is a double action, which normally I do not like. However it is the only double action that I am aware of that can be carried cocked and locked. Allowing you to completely bypass the first DA trigger pull. Leaving you with a very light, very crisp, very short single action trigger pull. It also has a short reset.

- 1911. These are single action, designed to be carried cocked and locked. Trigger pulls tend to be a bit stiffer than the SA pull on the 1911. It also has a short reset.

All that said, if you take an intensive 4 day course with a Glock, and then with something else, all your complaints about the Glock will melt away. The proof is in the puddin'.

OneSevenDeuce
08-10-2010, 5:45 PM
I think a lot of people feel the same way. If only I could get my hands on one of these http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=80127&CAT=3168 I'd probably have one right now.

That reminds me. If I ever end up with more money and time than I know what to do with I always wanted to built a "non Glock". I want to built a Glock using all after market parts. Including non Glock slide, frame, and barrel. You know, just for ****s. :D

smarter
08-10-2010, 6:46 PM
I myself own a M&P9 w/ Apex Tactical drop-in sear. I shot both XD9 and M&P9 equally well, but preference would lean to M&P9. Probably beating a dead horse even more dead, low bore axis, less recoil, and pure awesomeness with Apex upgrades. I have a Steyr m40-a1 on the way, so we'll see how my preference will stand.

billy396
10-24-2010, 5:59 PM
I haven't bothered to read all of your other replies, but I can tell you my results. I've had 3 different XD's, a subcompact 9MM, a compact .40, and a full-size .45 tactical. I sold all 3. None of them compared to my M&P's. I have a full-size M&P 9, a full-size M&P .40, and both 9 and .40 in compact. Also an M&P 9 Pro Series. The XD's don't even compare in shooting comfort, accuracy, or looks (subjective). The M&P has a superior fit and finish and a better trigger as well. I can't comment on the new XDm, but concerning the regular XD, the M&P wins on all counts. I almost forgot to add that Smith sold me 357SIG barrels for both of my .40 cal. M&P's (full-size and compact) at a very reasonable price. I have 357SIG barrels for almost every .40 that I own. It's an awesome round, but expensive to shoot unless you reload. True 357 Mag ballistics in a semi-auto without the 357 mag recoil, real tack-drivers.