PDA

View Full Version : 'Top Shot' looking for Shooters

CGN Staff
07-22-2010, 3:47 PM
The History Channel series 'Top Shot' sent this in an email to Calguns.net asking that we post it for them.
It would be fantastic if a Calgunner were able to get on the show!

If you are skilled with a pistol, rifle or any other firearm, you could win $100,000 in prizes on season 2 of History Channel’s hit competition show TOP SHOT. Producers are looking for anyone with mind-blowing shooting skills and a big personality to take on exciting physical challenges with multiple guns and mystery projectile weapons.It doesn’t matter if you’re a professionally trained shooter or a self-taught, average Joe (or Jane!). As long as you’re in good physical shape, have mastered a firearm and can adapt to new weapons and demanding physical situations, you could be America’s next “Top Shot.”

APPLY TODAY!

To apply, email TopShotCasting@gmail.com with your name, city/state, phone number, a recent photo of yourself and a brief explanation of why you should be on the show. Deadline to apply is August 12, 2010. For more information, visit www.pilgrimfilms.tv and click on “CASTING” or call 818-478-4570 for more information TODAY!

* Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, a resident or citizen of the United States and reasonably proficient with shooting and marksmanship

AlliedArmory
07-22-2010, 6:29 PM
My skill level will embarrass Calguns. I better not.

M.45
07-23-2010, 8:41 AM
Oh I am in.

JTsanchez
07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Seriously wish I was better so I could try out, but I'm not nearly good enough...yet

cmichini
07-23-2010, 1:28 PM
I had a call with a casting producer the other day and was asked to submit the full application and demo video to be considered moving on to the next step.

I'm a total civilian, no LEO experience, nor military, etc.

I think he was intrigued with the fact that I'm an accountant (not 'stereotypically' a gunslinger type and could be a good juxtaposition on the usual cops/soldiers), and being self-taught (or at least not professionally taught - I was taught to shoot when I was about 5 by my WWII vet dad) provides a nice counterbalance to professionals (be they competitors, LEOs or military).

A couple of the topics we discussed that also probably encouraged him:

1) 'You've seen the show, right? Now what are your feelings about the challenges:
a) That's no big deal, I could do that.
b) It's amazing they can do that. It's way over my head.

My response was a). Considering the last episode's elimination challenge they were trying to shoot playing cards at 25 feet, single action. I routinely shoot bullseye and can usually keep my shots in the B2 target in the black at 50 feet, so I feel I could stay on par with what I've seen so far.

2) When asked how adaptive I am to new weapons.
I replied that I am not an 'expert' or champion at any particular firearm, nor do I require a substantial amount of time/practice to be able to use a newly introduced weapon.
When shooting, I've drooled over other people's fouling pieces and, when offered a chance to make it go boom, I've been pretty successful in making holes pretty close to where I planned them.
Also, in my experience, when working in a broad spectrum the competitor who can achieve at least average results on everything will often come out on top of the competitors who are strong, and specialized in one thing, but is not quickly adaptive to new things.

Don't be afraid to toss your hat in the ring. At worst you may get a trip to LA paid for to use someone else's guns with FREE ammo!!

mif_slim
07-23-2010, 1:45 PM
I mite be in. lol.

CAL.BAR
07-23-2010, 1:55 PM
Actually, the shooting appears to be the least time consuming thing the contestants do. (I shoot more on a single range trip than they do in an episode).

Also - looks like you have to give up your life and live at the house for some period of time (survivor style). Kind of rules out most of us with lives. (you know , jobs, family etc.)

RE: experience - I agree that many of us, myself included, could easily do most of the things they do on the show, I still haven't seen any contestants whose qualifications say "regular dude, hoards ammo shoots on the weekends and chats on CG"

Most of the civilians on the show are shooting champions or as pointed out, ex military or police etc.

Would love to see the "regular guy"/CG'er represented on the show though.

SuperSet
07-23-2010, 2:01 PM
Some interesting questions, cmichini, so thanks for posting them. Given the show dynamics, I'm a little surprised they didn't ask.. 'do you get along well with others?' :)

Steyrlp10
07-23-2010, 2:07 PM
I had a call with a casting producer the other day and was asked to submit the full application and demo video to be considered moving on to the next step.

I think he was intrigued with the fact that I'm an accountant (not 'stereotypically' a gunslinger type and could be a good juxtaposition on the usual cops/soldiers), and being self-taught (or at least not professionally taught - I was taught to shoot when I was about 5 by my WWII vet dad) provides a nice counterbalance to professionals (be they competitors, LEOs or military).

1) 'You've seen the show, right? Now what are your feelings about the challenges:

My response was a). Considering the last episode's elimination challenge they were trying to shoot playing cards at 25 feet, single action. I routinely shoot bullseye and can usually keep my shots in the B2 target in the black at 50 feet, so I feel I could stay on par with what I've seen so far.

I replied that I am not an 'expert' or champion at any particular firearm, nor do I require a substantial amount of time/practice to be able to use a newly introduced weapon.
When shooting, I've drooled over other people's fouling pieces and, when offered a chance to make it go boom, I've been pretty successful in making holes pretty close to where I planned them.
Also, in my experience, when working in a broad spectrum the competitor who can achieve at least average results on everything will often come out on top of the competitors who are strong, and specialized in one thing, but is not quickly adaptive to new things.

Don't be afraid to toss your hat in the ring. At worst you may get a trip to LA paid for to use someone else's guns with FREE ammo!!

You have my vote! :)

Steyrlp10
07-23-2010, 2:10 PM
Actually, the shooting appears to be the least time consuming thing the contestants do. (I shoot more on a single range trip than they do in an episode).

Also - looks like you have to give up your life and live at the house for some period of time (survivor style). Kind of rules out most of us with lives. (you know , jobs, family etc.)

RE: experience - I agree that many of us, myself included, could easily do most of the things they do on the show, I still haven't seen any contestants whose qualifications say "regular dude, hoards ammo shoots on the weekends and chats on CG"

Most of the civilians on the show are shooting champions or as pointed out, ex military or police etc.

Would love to see the "regular guy"/CG'er represented on the show though.

I'd like to see a Calgunner smoke the champs too. After all, keeping zombies at bay is a skill too!

cmichini
07-23-2010, 2:29 PM
Some interesting questions, cmichini, so thanks for posting them. Given the show dynamics, I'm a little surprised they didn't ask.. 'do you get along well with others?' :)

Oh, they asked lots of questions in addition to the items mentioned above. My post was mainly addressing the earlier post that they felt their skills weren't up to the competition.

They asked a lot about how I think I'd react to living in close quarters, etc.

I grew up with 3 older brothers who slept in one bedroom in 2 sets of bunk beds (of course with the requisite gun racks on the walls), so I've been in the middle of 'it'.

Also, I do a good bit of competitive sailing so if you're on an ocean race you effectively have a 35-40' world so you have to either be able to deal (or swim).

They asked alot about personality (strength, flexibility thereof, etc). Being an accountant, even having one was a plus :).

SuperSet
07-23-2010, 2:33 PM
Sweet! Good luck in your application process. I love the show so definitely looking forward to seeing who wins this season and who'll be on the next!

Midian
07-23-2010, 2:39 PM
I couldn't imagine having to share a bedroom with some snoring, slovenly strangers. God, the snoring....did I mention that?

I'm assuming there'd be no booze or cigars. The horror.

Plus I'd shame CalGuns first time I choked on some easy shot. That's the clincher.

gose
07-23-2010, 2:59 PM
- 5 weeks (of mostly unpaid leave) in that house with almost nothing to do + another week for the casting.
- Shooting challenges that pretty much anyone can win.
- Taxable winnings valued at $100k, most likely merchandise with a street value of quite a bit less.
- Picking character over skill.
- Being portrayed as a jerk on TV

I'll watch and support the show, since anything shooting related on the mainstream channels is worth supporting.
Season 1 has convinced me not to apply though. I'll aim for 3 Gun Nation instead ;)

HeHateMe
07-23-2010, 3:20 PM
I watched the last episode and it's the weakest one so far. The guy lost cuz he doesn't play poker, not because of his shooting skill. It's Top Shot, not Top Poker player. Felt bad for that guy cuz he doesn't know poker, yet could really shoot. Shame. Good luck to those that apply.

Olav
07-23-2010, 4:18 PM
How did you get a call?

What did you submit?

gose
07-23-2010, 6:43 PM
How did you get a call?

What did you submit?

A few guys that I know got calls last year, getting asked to send in their apps and videos. None made it to the show.

In general those were people that called, or emailed, before submitting their application. The only people that I know that got contacted after sending in their apps were the ones that got called to the casting.

M47_Dragon
07-23-2010, 8:02 PM
That "good physical shape" requirement is the only thing keeping me from trying out. :chris:

shortround1
07-23-2010, 8:06 PM

I'm not sure they'd want contestants to get along. Unfortunately I suspect a certain amount of "soap opera-ness" is probably expected by the producers. I thank them for making a shooting show, I just wish it were less of a reality show format. Good luck to all applicants though.

cmichini
07-24-2010, 10:03 AM
How did you get a call?

What did you submit?

Pilgrim TV (I think is the co.) had web page that called to either send in a quick email with some background info, a recent photo why you'd be the next, etc.

There is also an 8 page application you can submit at first as well, but I didn't want to go through all to never hear. I just send the cursory item and got a call back.

As to the comment about being near snorer's. I'm a snorer so I would be the perp, not the victim.

Ginuwite
07-25-2010, 1:19 AM
I've watched every episode of Top Shot so far on the DVR and it has potential to be a cool series. They need a bit more of the shooting challenges and a whole lot less of the "house drama."

I would have felt bad for the guy who lost last episode if they hadn't made a HUGE poster board with the winning poker hands and set it up at the range..... He definitely shot better than the other guy but he got thrown off mentally by what he thought the other guy was trying to do. If he would have just shot the cards that matched the HUGE display next to him, he might have won!

GearHead
07-26-2010, 2:35 PM
Hmm...this could be interesting. Does anyone know when this would be filiming? I'm in college and probably couldn't take off 5 weeks of school unless it was summertime...

Donk310
07-26-2010, 3:38 PM
I would do it, but I love women too much.

1911whore
07-28-2010, 3:00 PM
I sent in my resume and their application, they emailed asking for pics so I sent a few. Hopefully one calgunner will get on there and spread the word.

Steyrlp10
07-28-2010, 3:10 PM
I sent in my resume and their application, they emailed asking for pics so I sent a few. Hopefully one calgunner will get on there and spread the word.

That's the fun part: yelling at the TV for our guys :)

maddoggie13
07-28-2010, 3:13 PM
Only if I can take 30 days off.

pyromensch
07-28-2010, 5:45 PM
Seriously wish I was better so I could try out, but I'm not nearly good enough...yet

have you watched the show?!

with exceptions, barney fife is good enough :)

pyromensch
07-28-2010, 5:52 PM
Hmm...this could be interesting. Does anyone know when this would be filiming? I'm in college and probably couldn't take off 5 weeks of school unless it was summertime...

let's see....the application says on or about oct 17 - approx nov 24.
the final casting part would be on or about sept 19-25

pyromensch
07-28-2010, 5:55 PM
That "good physical shape" requirement is the only thing keeping me from trying out. :chris:

not knowing you but, round is a shape:)

and i really haven't seen "any" physical challenges

pyromensch
07-28-2010, 5:57 PM
- 5 weeks (of mostly unpaid leave) in that house with almost nothing to do + another week for the casting.
- Shooting challenges that pretty much anyone can win.
- Taxable winnings valued at $100k, most likely merchandise with a street value of quite a bit less.
- Picking character over skill.
- Being portrayed as a jerk on TV

I'll watch and support the show, since anything shooting related on the mainstream channels is worth supporting.
Season 1 has convinced me not to apply though. I'll aim for 3 Gun Nation instead ;)

i like your spin on it

lazs
07-29-2010, 8:58 AM
I believe that the show is an embarrassment to the real "top shots"

It is amusing that they have real experts... better than any of the contestants.. teach the soap opera fakes how to shoot before each "challenge"

I don't think I have ever seen anyone at a shooting range miss the 100 yard paper as more than a couple of times while the guy in the show missed like 50 times.. Also.. the obligatory woman shooter didn't even know how to use a spotting scope.

The show is a train wreck.

JanG
07-31-2010, 1:09 AM
i embarrass myself all the time... i'm perfect for the show :D

auditech79
07-31-2010, 4:19 PM
Yeah i wasn't impressed with the show thus far, it has to do more with politics than skill. Its like an MTV show with guns, i still watch it though........:(

I would love to be on the show just for the experience, but i don't know if i could handle the drama. It would remind me of the soap opera called the audi garage too much LOL.

MFI
08-04-2010, 9:39 AM
I am in. The show looks like it would be a great experience and a chance to learn some new skills in marksmanship. Sent me email today and we will see if casting calls or not.

Full Clip
08-04-2010, 9:47 AM
Pilgrim Films (http://pilgrimfilms.tv/shows/top-shot/)
Casting (http://pilgrimfilms.tv/casting/topshot/)

JTROKS
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
If folks don't know it yet. Brad in the red team is a Hotshot shooter from the bay area. Too bad he isn't a shotgun shooter.

WilliamAnderson
08-05-2010, 1:33 AM
Maybe. Seems like a cool experience.

pyromensch
08-06-2010, 7:34 AM
If folks don't know it yet. Brad in the red team is a Hotshot shooter from the bay area. Too bad he isn't a shotgun shooter.

apparently couldn't shoot anything but a glock

RT13
08-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I would love to have a shot at $100,000...but........I would embarass myself and Calguns if I were in the competition.:D

JJ is da man! Represent for all Filipinos out there. KNives and Filipnos are like peas and carrots. Good thing JJ was able to hit all his throws. It's in his genes to be naturally good with knives, lol. That or he was hustling them.

pyromensch
08-08-2010, 7:27 PM
I would love to have a shot at $100,000...but........I would embarass myself and Calguns if I were in the competition.:D

JJ is da man! Represent for all Filipinos out there. KNives and Filipnos are like peas and carrots. Good thing JJ was able to hit all his throws. It's in his genes to be naturally good with knives, lol. That or he was hustling them.

filipinos, that i encountered, didn't throw knives, they either had a butterfly knife, or a bolo knife, (that one is really too heavy to throw). and he really pulled it out, considering his practice session

samkaya
08-11-2010, 1:14 AM
My family is friendly with JJ. I really thought that he sucked at knives. III WAS faked out...lol. He is good. He better win. I should have known but he acted so well. What a faker....lol.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 2:09 AM
The whole 'teams' thing was a dumb idea from the start. The participants should not decide who goes to elimination; The results should. It's called 'Top Shot' not 'Top Try To Get Rid Of Kelly'. The kid was INCREDIBLE! I'm upset he went home.
It leads to far too much deceptive behavior and makes not only the participants, but History Channel themselves, look immature.
If the second season follows suit they will lose me as a viewer. I want to see who is the best shooter. So please... More shooting and more results based eliminations.
One other point and then I'll let it be...
Eliminating MORE participants near the end of the season, just as the suspense is starting to make it more interesting, is the dumbest move of all. You really need to draw it out to maximize ratings and viewership. I mean come on; This is television 101 folks.
3 eliminations on second to last episode and then you will decide the winner from a group of 4 remaining contestants? booooo
Eliminate more first; Less later.
The finale should contain no more than 3 contestants.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 3:21 AM
The whole 'teams' thing was a dumb idea from the start. The participants should not decide who goes to elimination; The results should. It's called 'Top Shot' not 'Top Try To Get Rid Of Kelly'. The kid was INCREDIBLE! I'm upset he went home.
It leads to far too much deceptive behavior and makes not only the participants, but History Channel themselves, look immature.
If the second season follows suit they will lose me as a viewer. I want to see who is the best shooter. So please... More shooting and more results based eliminations.
Eliminating MORE participants near the end of the season, just as the suspense is starting to make it more interesting, is the dumbest move of all. You really need to draw it out to maximize ratings and viewership. I mean come on; This is television 101 folks.
3 eliminations on second to last episode and then you will decide the winner from a group of 4 remaining contestants? booooo

I hate these "reality" shows that do this, which is why I like shows like Top Chef, the eliminations are decided by judges, not contestants with ulterior motives. This is the main reason I don't watch the show much, all the strategy in determining who goes to elimination gets old real quick.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 3:45 AM
I hate these "reality" shows that do this, which is why I like shows like Top Chef, the eliminations are decided by judges, not contestants with ulterior motives. This is the main reason I don't watch the show much, all the strategy in determining who goes to elimination gets old real quick.

Judges are a good idea for shows like 'Top Chef' and 'Chopped' but simply because food is subjective.
The great thing about shooting is that it's like math. You either hit or you don't. Points should be scored accordingly and should be the sole basis for elimination. Also I think it would be nice if they had, say 3, unrelated challenges each episode and the lowest scorer goes home. That way we are actually testing who is the best all around shooter instead of just who can shoot a fuse or throw a knife or bust clays better.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 3:49 AM
Judges are a good idea for shows like 'Top Chef' and 'Chopped' but simply because food is subjective.
The great thing about shooting is that it's like math. You either hit or you don't. Points should be scored accordingly and should be the sole basis for elimination. Also I think it would be nice if they had, say 3, unrelated challenges each episode and the lowest scorer goes home. That way we are actually testing who is the best all around shooter instead of just who can shoot a fuse or throw a knife or bust clays better.

Agreed, I was just relating how winning and loosing should be based solely on performance rather than "playing the game".

Also agree on 3 challenges.

samkaya
08-11-2010, 10:14 AM

I agree....Kelly will be missed. Your recommendations are spot on.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2010, 10:57 AM

I don't get this comment.. EVERY SINGLE player is in charge of thier own fate.. Sure, they can be sent to elimination (ie Kelly) but their performane there determins if they stay or go..

Unfortuanatly Kelly went first and was too slow to stay.

I will say though that hte show got better once the teams were gone.. mostly because there's more shooting that way (nobody sitting out)

They also need a bigger variety of weapons.

I just shot Colby's Camaro for a magazine story.. I will pass some of this along to him :)

I suggested they do a challenge with South American blow guns.. lol

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Agreed, I was just relating how winning and loosing should be based solely on performance rather than "playing the game".

Also agree on 3 challenges.

Again, I don't get this..

The guy who goes home is the guy who lost the shooting competition.. Nobody can just be "sent home".. they have to fail a challenge.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Again, I don't get this..

The guy who goes home is the guy who lost the shooting competition.. Nobody can just be "sent home".. they have to fail a challenge.

No they have to fail an elimination. They can be the top competitor in the CHALLENGE but still be sent to the ELIMINATION round because the other contestants were afraid, didn't like them or whatever "strategy" they come up with. The people sent to the elimination round should be the lowest two during the challenge.

Think about it like sports do the teams choose who gets to ply in the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl etc?

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM
No they have to fail an elimination. They can be the top competitor in the CHALLENGE but still be sent to the ELIMINATION round because the other contestants were afraid, didn't like them or whatever "strategy" they come up with. The people sent to the elimination round should be the lowest two during the challenge.

Think about it like sports do the teams choose who gets to ply in the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl etc?

They still had to fail to be eliminated.. it's not like Survivor where they can be tossed by a vote.

That was my point..

There was a little of the BS drama but the shooters, for the most part, seem to have more class than your average Survivor contestant.

As stated.. I like the show better in the individual mode rather than the team mode.

AAShooter
08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I liked this audition tape . . . right up until the last few seconds.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmp7nN_arcA

dk94044
08-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Denny made it and he sucked on the show. It was only because he was an "expert" in his realm of historical firearms, which was BS cause he sucked with the Peacemaker.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
They still had to fail to be eliminated.. it's not like Survivor where they can be tossed by a vote.

That was my point..

There was a little of the BS drama but the shooters, for the most part, seem to have more class than your average Survivor contestant.

As stated.. I like the show better in the individual mode rather than the team mode.

Yes they have to fail the elimination round but the contestants in the elimination were not always the worst performers during the challenge, which is how it should be and is in every sport I know of.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes they have to fail the elimination round but the contestants in the elimination were not always the worst performers during the challenge, which is how it should be and is in every sport I know of.

True, and except for a couple of times the worst guys went up.. then again "worst" is a lot more subjective than "best" :)

But still, they had to fail the challenge to go home.. it's not like they could be voted off.

Personally I would just prefer for it to be individual challenges the whole time.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 1:05 PM
True, and except for a couple of times the worst guys went up.. then again "worst" is a lot more subjective than "best" :)

But still, they had to fail the challenge to go home.. it's not like they could be voted off.

Personally I would just prefer for it to be individual challenges the whole time.

True, but didn't Kelly get voted in a few times despite being one of the top contenders in the challenge? That is essentially being voted off, except he somehow pulled it off each time. And wasn't the rat fink guy trying to get the top two off his team by voting them in? that's essentially voting them off.

Steve1968LS2
08-11-2010, 1:09 PM
True, but didn't Kelly get voted in a few times despite being one of the top contenders in the challenge? That is essentially being voted off, except he somehow pulled it off each time. And wasn't the rat fink guy trying to get the top two off his team by voting them in? that's essentially voting them off.

And the Rat Fink idiot's "deal" didn't work.. right?

In any event, no matter what you have to loose to get sent home.. that was the only point I was trying to make.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 1:14 PM
And the Rat Fink idiot's "deal" didn't work.. right?

In any event, no matter what you have to loose to get sent home.. that was the only point I was trying to make.

No because someone "rated" on him.

Which means that the TOP shooter doesn't necessarily win, its usually the one who can stay out of the eliminations.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 1:51 PM
Two competitors, neither of which has to be one of the lesser skilled shooter of the group, facing off in a challenge including only one weapon does not show who is the best overall shooter. Even the best shooters have bad days as well as weapons they are not so good with. It leaves no real room for error; Which even the best shooters can have.
Allowing the contestants to vote in a great overall shooter like Kelly just to face a possible elimination for a short and specific challenge is bull.
If we have more challenges before an elimination and then choose the bottom 2 or preferrably 3 competitors face off in a one off challenge this will actually show who is the weakest of them all.
This would be the only fair way to decide who is the best shooter with any weapon as the show states it sets out to find.

cmichini
08-11-2010, 2:45 PM
No because someone "rated" on him.

Which means that the TOP shooter doesn't necessarily win, its usually the one who can stay out of the eliminations.

Ratted - right?

I disagree. I think it was tha Adam guy who started the backstabbing. Didn't the blue team have a plan and he went about trying to change it (behind other people's backs)? That Caleb guy just decided that if he didn't want in on the conspiracy to break the team's strategy that he was free to discuss the upcoming betrayal with other, loyal members of the team.

Adam was the rat. I'm glad I never had him in my squad. You'd have to make sure you had an armor plate on your posterior.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 2:48 PM
...Adam was the rat. I'm glad I never had him in my squad. You'd have to make sure you had an armor plate on your posterior.

I agree.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 2:58 PM
Ratted - right?

I disagree. I think it was tha Adam guy who started the backstabbing. Didn't the blue team have a plan and he went about trying to change it (behind other people's backs)? That Caleb guy just decided that if he didn't want in on the conspiracy to break the team's strategy that he was free to discuss the upcoming betrayal with other, loyal members of the team.

Adam was the rat. I'm glad I never had him in my squad. You'd have to make sure you had an armor plate on your posterior.

I don't know any of their names, other then Kelly and JJ. I just couldn't stand the dude who was calling the guy a rat fink.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 3:02 PM
I don't know any of their names, other then Kelly and JJ. I just couldn't stand the dude who was calling the guy a rat fink.

That was Adam; The same guy who started the whole thing. Later he says it was just one of 7 strategies and then later said something like 15 strategies. It was the only strategy the History Channel chose to show so who knows if there were more. Either was it's a sissy way to try and win by kicking out the stronger players first. Looking back over all the previous episodes in my head I feel Adam was actually one of the weakest shooters.

nagorb
08-11-2010, 3:10 PM
That was Adam; The same guy who started the whole thing. Later he says it was just one of 7 strategies and then later said something like 15 strategies. It was the only strategy the History Channel chose to show so who knows if there were more. Either was it's a sissy way to try and win by kicking out the stronger players first. Looking back over all the previous episodes in my head I feel Adam was actually one of the weakest shooters.

Yeah that's they guy I couldn't stand, after that episode I really haven't watched.

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 3:17 PM
Yeah that's they guy I couldn't stand, after that episode I really haven't watched.

Well be sure to watch the finale. Adam is gone now.

pyromensch
08-11-2010, 7:39 PM
YES!!! it finally worked, the "master plan", where many of you have said that this is "another soap opera", ............and look at all the new posts.

OK, i was really for kelly. that kid is adaptable, and awesome!

pyromensch
08-11-2010, 7:44 PM
Two competitors, neither of which has to be one of the lesser skilled shooter of the group, facing off in a challenge including only one weapon does not show who is the best overall shooter. Even the best shooters have bad days as well as weapons they are not so good with. It leaves no real room for error; Which even the best shooters can have.
Allowing the contestants to vote in a great overall shooter like Kelly just to face a possible elimination for a short and specific challenge is bull.
If we have more challenges before an elimination and then choose the bottom 2 or preferrably 3 competitors face off in a one off challenge this will actually show who is the weakest of them all.
This would be the only fair way to decide who is the best shooter with any weapon as the show states it sets out to find.

however, kelly, seemed, to be the more "disciplined" shooter. and if you get "nominated", you get to practice more, and "show your stuff"

jlh95811
08-11-2010, 8:38 PM
however, kelly, seemed, to be the more "disciplined" shooter. and if you get "nominated", you get to practice more, and "show your stuff"

That's another thing that bothered me about the show.
The low volume of shooting practice was rediculous.
They should have a practice range set up near the house where they can shoot when they want.
I'd like to see the participants show off what they are actually good at.
None of them got to show off much of the skills they possess as a shooter beyond what they were tested at.

9mmepiphany
08-12-2010, 6:43 AM
The low volume of shooting practice was rediculous.

None of them got to show off much of the skills they possess as a shooter beyond what they were tested at.

that's funny, because that is what i really liked about the show...to see if the skills they had mastered were transferable to other weapons. it is what leveled the playing field

jlh95811
08-12-2010, 8:44 AM
that's funny, because that is what i really liked about the show...to see if the skills they had mastered were transferable to other weapons. it is what leveled the playing field

Yes, of course.
I'm not saying they should be tested on what they are good at as that would lead to at least one unfair advantage each time.
I'm saying I'd like to see Brad show off why he is considered so good with a glock, Kelly show off his long range capabilities, and so on and so forth. Perhaps each contestant should be allowed to bring one gun along with them. If nothing else just to pass the time. Maybe they could play horse.

precisionshooter308
08-13-2010, 4:09 PM
I've watched most of the episodes. I dislike the team elimination thing if you perform you stay if you muck it up you go home simple(it's a GUY thing). The challenges are easy for the shooting part, but running up that hill eliminates me, I'm a fat old man and I don't do a lot of running but shooting rifles, pistols, shotguns, revolvers and trick shooting if I was 20 again.........

auditech79
08-13-2010, 8:11 PM
I've watched most of the episodes. I dislike the team elimination thing if you perform you stay if you muck it up you go home simple(it's a GUY thing). The challenges are easy for the shooting part, but running up that hill eliminates me, I'm a fat old man and I don't do a lot of running but shooting rifles, pistols, shotguns, revolvers and trick shooting if I was 20 again.........

Completely agree, they should leave the decisions up to the person that "trained" them for the event to pick the participants, based on a scoring system or his/her opinion. Having them shoot each other's name is a reality crap show move to try and get drama involved, i hate that.:nono:

9mmepiphany
08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Completely agree, they should leave the decisions up to the person that "trained" them for the event to pick the participants, based on a scoring system or his/her opinion. Having them shoot each other's name is a reality crap show move to try and get drama involved, i hate that.:nono:

while it sound like good at first glance, you realize that this would continually pit the best shooter against each other and the poor performers would in essence be getting a bye. you'd eventually end up with only the worst shooters left

jlh95811
08-13-2010, 11:41 PM
while it sound like good at first glance, you realize that this would continually pit the best shooter against each other and the poor performers would in essence be getting a bye. you'd eventually end up with only the worst shooters left

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the post. To me it appears to say that the "expert" or "trainer" should choose who he/she felt fared worst in the competition and send this folks to the elimination challenge.

9mmepiphany
08-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood the post. To me it appears to say that the "expert" or "trainer" should choose who he/she felt fared worst in the competition and send this folks to the elimination challenge.

you might be right, i read it as choose to participate in the (team) competition

but then wouldn't the shooters who sat out have an unfair advantage by not having to compete...bearing in mind that shooters can't be excluded from two events in a row...as you couldn't grade them if they didn't compete

jlh95811
08-14-2010, 1:06 PM
you might be right, i read it as choose to participate in the (team) competition

but then wouldn't the shooters who sat out have an unfair advantage by not having to compete...bearing in mind that shooters can't be excluded from two events in a row...as you couldn't grade them if they didn't compete

That's another thing that bothers me about the team competitions. They sit out the participants that were worst at the challenge so they don't lose. However this causes the weaker players to stay around longer. Most folks were voting the guys who did bad into elimination. The worst guys at that challenge got to ride the bench. Nobody want to vote for a guy who didn't have a chance to prove themselves. So they vote in the worst of the best rather than the worst of all.

9mmepiphany
08-14-2010, 1:28 PM
and you can't even put out the guys who did the worst in training...if you let the "expert" choose...because training isn't competition.

just look at the difference between how JJ did in knife throwing between training and the actually competition

jlh95811
08-14-2010, 5:32 PM
and you can't even put out the guys who did the worst in training...if you let the "expert" choose...because training isn't competition.

just look at the difference between how JJ did in knife throwing between training and the actually competition

Had they not sat JJ out the previous challenge he would have sat out the knife throwing challenge. The team would have lost most likely.
Again I think you are misunderstanding. I think it is meant that the person who did the training should decide who goes to elimination AFTER the challenge.
I don't think it's a good idea though because as I've stated before, shooting is like math. It either is right or it isn't. There's no gray area. A hit is a point. A miss is no point. Those with the fewest points after the challenge should go to elimination.

auditech79
08-14-2010, 7:08 PM
Yeah i meant the guest trainer should choose the participants based on performance in the round. So the trainer would pick the worst two into the elimination challenge, however on a "team" system its fubar. They would all have to be individual shooters, that might make the show boring for non gun enthusiast viewers, but at least it shows who really is the "top shot" with all weapons.

9mmepiphany
08-14-2010, 7:26 PM
Yeah i meant the guest trainer should choose the participants based on performance in the round. So the trainer would pick the worst two into the elimination challenge, however on a "team" system its fubar.

that's what i was referring to. it doesn't work when team members are "sat out" because they don't shot and hence have no points. as random as the nomination system seems, it is the most fair as it is decided by team members.

the fact that they don't send the 2 worst shoots is their choice

auditech79
08-14-2010, 7:45 PM
Thats probably what the history channel thought when they designed the show's lay out too, its all good i suppose, its more entertaining that way.

jlh95811
08-14-2010, 8:27 PM
If players are to be sat out due to the uneveness of teams it should be the choice of the team with the lease contestants to choose who sits. Letting the team with the most contestants choose who sits, which is usually who did worst in practice, gives them an unfair advantage in the challenge.
You could clearly see the advantage of this over the course of the show as the red team was constantly on the defensive and lost all but 2 of their members before the semi-finals.

zoglog
08-17-2010, 4:00 PM
I wanted to slap something when that guy equated the Crossbow to the anti-tank gun of the middle ages..... I thought they couldn't get any more ridiculous after the long bow/machinegun analogy.

mcsoupman
08-17-2010, 4:18 PM
I don't get this comment.. EVERY SINGLE player is in charge of thier own fate.. Sure, they can be sent to elimination (ie Kelly) but their performane there determins if they stay or go..

Unfortuanatly Kelly went first and was too slow to stay.

I will say though that hte show got better once the teams were gone.. mostly because there's more shooting that way (nobody sitting out)

They also need a bigger variety of weapons.

I just shot Colby's Camaro for a magazine story.. I will pass some of this along to him :)

I suggested they do a challenge with South American blow guns.. lol

I have one from straight from the jungle in Ecuador used by the Shwar people! The guy actually brought us the guanta (like a jungle capibara) he killed with it. the night before I bought it. I will let them borrow it :)

Here is a hind quarter.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/mcsoupman/Ecuadorguanta.jpg

will3gross3
08-20-2010, 4:35 AM
I'd love to do that.When I don't know?

cailing0322
08-25-2010, 9:26 AM
You wrote's nice and I support you!

five finger shoes (http://www.vibram-retail.com/)
Vibram Five Finger shoes (http://www.vibram-retail.com/)
Christian Louboutin (http://www.christianlouboutin-retail.net/) Christian Louboutin shoes (http://www.christianlouboutin-retail.net/)

lotar4life
09-05-2010, 8:16 PM
Why not? Looks like fun. I'm going to go ahead and apply. :D

MASTERLAB
09-09-2010, 8:18 PM
not yet 21 :(

Tommy-gun-justin
10-08-2010, 5:33 PM
I would want to try but i don't have the age requirement

:censored:

BlueFireFluid
10-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Why not? Looks like fun. I'm going to go ahead and apply. :D

You are going to apply to something that passed 2 months ago?

Deadline to apply is August 12, 2010.

pyromensch
10-24-2010, 10:36 AM
You are going to apply to something that passed 2 months ago?

yeah, but when he said he was going to apply, it was only one month ago

PatriotnMore
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I heard the show was canceled. This is second hand info, the person who told my wife supposedly worked for the show in some capacity, or knew someone who did.:confused:

Anyone have first hand info if this is true?

pyromensch
10-24-2010, 8:55 PM
we will have to wait. supposedly, anyone selected, would "currently" be in filming/production, which is probably why, we haven't heard much from any of those that might have applied, (like me, i didn't get picked up, i hate soap operas, but like shooting). filming is supposedly being conducted from, mid OCT thru mid NOV.

Mrskylinetou
11-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm curious to apply to one and see what happens. I got a big mouth so I think I get kicked out real quick.

Porscheguy
11-21-2010, 1:06 AM

yeah....even though it's a gun show, don't be fooled....sex still sells. u gotta be in shape or pretty or both.

In addition, they're looking for dramatic people. People that will be great TV.

Once they find those two conditions, then the 3rd is if they're skilled with a weapon.

Having had a lot of experience in the industry, I can safely say that's the truth. If I've missed something, then the latter will be further down the list. It's all about drama, charisma, something for people to want to watch as far as conflict, joining a team aka friendship but not really, etc. If you're good looking that's also extremely helpful and of course, if you're quiet or not interesting, you're history.

As Tom Leykis says, it's all about being interesting.....

After that, your gun skills might help you get in.

Porscheguy
11-21-2010, 1:13 AM

Oh how blind you are my friend. I say this with some sadness...lol....

I too was a huge fan of top chef and I also know some of the assistant producers..

Who gets cut and who gets kept is largely based on quality of food etc.. HOWEVER, if there is a contestant that brings in ratings which there have been many, the producers make SURE that those do not end up getting sent home. It's even in the notes at the end of the show that producers have input on who gets sent home.

Sadly, it makes sense. I can't pull names up, but I remember certain starts of the first few seasons. They were the ones bringing in the people to watch the show. As a producer, I would never let those people be cut out of the show until a climax or a big build-up. That happens in more reality shows than you can imagine.

We all know certain shows like the kids shows "The OC" and "The Hills" or whatever are somewhat fake, but when you really know how much the daily producers prod and poke the casts of what you think are true reality shows would blow your mind. Most of them too, if they do have a real moment, it's often not captured on film so they're asked to reproduce it and that happens a lot.

I love reality tv. Obviously most of the nation does due to it's popularity but even the most """""""""real"""""""""" reality tv isn't what you think. It's just like real acting tv...you need the suspension of disbelief. :(

Buckelew
01-15-2011, 4:27 PM
If I wasn't going to build a house, I'd give it a shot (bad pun)...decent with a handgun and competed in rifle in college.

nanoc
02-09-2011, 9:56 AM
Well first episode of season two already out and it wasn't bad. I also like how the top 2 winners of the first challenge get to chose teams. Anyone remember what was the distance on the first challenge was?

Steyrlp10
02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
What I'd really like to know:

1. Any Calgunners competing on the show this season?

2. Any Calgunners know any of the Top Shot contestants?

9mmepiphany
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
You have to keep up girl

4 contestants are from CA and 2 are CalGunners...there is a thread titled something like 4 from CA

Steyrlp10
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
You have to keep up girl

4 contestants are from CA and 2 are CalGunners...there is a thread titled something like 4 from CA

Lol... my dinky eyes just got that. That's why you have job security -- to keep me current on all the doings around here :)

kendog4570
02-09-2011, 2:16 PM
Well first episode of season two already out and it wasn't bad. I also like how the top 2 winners of the first challenge get to chose teams. Anyone remember what was the distance on the first challenge was?

They got the first gun wrong. The 1874 Sharps was not around for Berdan's sharpshooters to "qualify" with.
The target was a 10" bull at 200 yards. Roughly the same as the SR 200 for NRA highpower rifle competition. This target is shot standing at 200. They shot it prone.

PandaLuv
02-09-2011, 6:33 PM
Even if I were a good shooter, I am still not a drama queen :)