View Full Version : FFL transfer question

04-19-2006, 7:49 PM
If I want to purchase a Shotgun from a private party non-ffl out of California, Can my FFL in California send a copy of his FFl to this out of state private party and the private party ships the shotgun directly to my FFL and then I do my DROS there, or does the out of state party have to ship the shotgun from a ffl in his state to my ffl here.

THanks, I hope this makes sense.

04-19-2006, 8:26 PM
You had it right the first time. They can ship it to your FFL. They don't have to have their FFL send it to your FFL.

Also, not that you did this, but make sure you don't classify this as a private party transfer...PPTs are when both the buyer and seller are present. This confuses many gun owners for some reason.

Mssr. Elegant
04-19-2006, 9:01 PM
And make sure that your FFL Dealer will accept the firearm from an out of state unlicensed person. As Ohsmily said, shipping from FFL to FFL is not required by law. An FFL is only legally required on the receiving end. But many FFL's refuse to accept firearms shipments unless they come from another FFL.

If your local Dealer won't accept the shipment then you can either look for another local Dealer or have the seller ship the gun through an FFL on his end. You might have to pay a few extra dollars to the seller to cover this cost.