PDA

View Full Version : Relief Reservoir - anything in season

rubdub
07-22-2010, 4:41 PM
Hey All,

I'm planning a trip up to Relief Reservoir (HWY 108, south of it), in August, and as I understand it, I would not be allowed to take my rifle for some plinking if there is anything in season up there.

Does anyone know where I can find out if anything is in season, or if hunting is allowed up there, or what not?

I'm planning on calling the ranger station, but I'm assuming they will not know all the rules and regs as far as hunting goes, and carrying a rifle by a non-hunter (I don't have a license, and plan on not having one any time soon)..

Any input would be appreciated.

rubdub
07-22-2010, 5:02 PM
Read the regs a bit more:

Subsection 353(h) reads:
(h) Except as provided in subsection 353(g), archers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag.

While hunting - does that mean if I'm not hunting, only target shooting, that I'm good to go? I also found the seasons on the D-6 zone (where we'd be), and archery season for deer will be opening the day we get there...

Also, follow up question - would it be bad form to be target shooting during archery season?

edwardm
07-22-2010, 5:17 PM
Consider this - almost anywhere you target shoot in CA is likely to have coyotes in the area, and the season on coyotes is year round. Does this mean anyone not possessed of a valid California hunting license may not target shoot anywhere in CA other than at an established range? No. It means they cannot be out there hunting coyotes. Hunting != Target shooting.

As for shooting during archery season, I'm going to wager a guess, since I hunt D-6 during the general season, that folks looking for deer aren't going to be in the area of Relief. I'm guessing they'll be more to the north side of 108 and closer to Sonora pass that early in the year.

Of course if you see hunters it would be courteous to not go randomly plinking in their general area. Or at least ask them where they plan to go so you can all steer well clear of each other.

rubdub
07-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Good tips. I'll keep that in mind.