PDA

View Full Version : smallbore hunter's pistol silhouette fun (place your bets)

j1133s
07-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Ok, I plan to shoot this game Monday. To make things more interesting, I'd like to invite you to "shoot" this match with me by voting and seeing if you get it right.

Instead of comparing against other shooters (like action pistol games), the NRA made a classification based on the # of silhouettes you hit, so the votes are also based on #.

Thanks to a fellow Calgunner, I've zero'ed my pistol at all distances except 75yd which the range didn't allow, so I'll be estimating the turkeys.

I've shot smallbore rifle silhouette before, and I think I've got 1 thing going for me: the targets are bigger than the rifle version :) Personally, I'd be happy if I get 20 (out of 40) silhouettes, but this will be my first pistol silhouette.

Gun issue:
I planned to shoot a S&W Model 41 open sights w/ match ammo. But during zeroing, the gun/ammo shot terribly at 100yds, way worse than I had imagined. I've not used this gun for many years, but from my notes, it should shoot way better. I think 3 possible issues: 1. I'm rusty as hell from not shooting for 3yrs; 2. The match ammo has changed; 3. The range lighting was really bad.

So, I'm not sure if I want to shoot open sights. Maybe I'll shoot this match w/ a red dot (to counter the poor range lighting and I've used this pistol for several Reed's matches recently), but that pistol isn't zeroed.

Ammo issue:
I was planning to use match ammo, but it's not shooting very well (I think it's shooting worse than my plinker ammo ! ). So, I'm not sure if I should use my plinker instead. From my notes, the plinker and match adj is just 1 click and their groups are +1" diff, but that was old match... so not sure if old match zero is same as new match zero.

Anyway, I should just go out and have fun, but can't help but wonder about the above. So sorry if that confused anybody. Let's vote and see who wins.

audiopro74
07-22-2010, 1:16 PM
Personally I would shoot wichever was working better. If the plinker gets out there better shoot it. If the match is better closer mabye use it in close, and the plinker out farther. OR MABYE JUST GRAB A FEW BOXES OF OTHER STUFF AND TRY THEM IF YA GOT THE TIME. Sorry about the caps lock. Not trying to yell.

j1133s
07-22-2010, 4:09 PM
Personally I would shoot wichever was working better. If the plinker gets out there better shoot it. If the match is better closer mabye use it in close, and the plinker out farther. OR MABYE JUST GRAB A FEW BOXES OF OTHER STUFF AND TRY THEM IF YA GOT THE TIME. Sorry about the caps lock. Not trying to yell.

Right, but I don't think I'll have the chance to get to the range before Monday's match as I've already used up my weekly range trip this week zeroing and Monday's match is considered next week's range trip unfortunately :(

I think I'm going to stick w/ the open sights and match ammo. Sometimes if I think too much about these things, it becomes a distraction.

It's interesting to read my old log book... kind of like a mini shooting diary as I used to jot down all kinds stuff. Now I just write down bare minimum.

j1133s
07-27-2010, 9:30 AM
Well, the results are in.

Firstly, if you're in the bay area and like to shoot .22LR pistols. You've got to try this game at Coyote Point in San Mateo. It's a low-key match, and evenly split between semi-auto and contender shooters. It's match director, besides being dedicated (and didn't even get to shoot this time), is a world champion w/ world records. He gave me some tips that immediately improved my game.

Targets are metallic animal silhouettes at 40/50/75/100 yards. Since these distances aren't official or something regarding the way the match is organized, the match is not NRA sanctioned (which is fine by me as I saved $12). Each match consists of 40 shots at 40 animals (1 pt for each animal taken down).

Anyway, CONGRATS robcoe, you have an uncanny ability for picking right answers. I shot 2 games: first game got 11 points, second got 18.

After shooting this w/ open sights (irons), I think I have an idea on how to best aim at the animals... if I'm able to go to the range even just once to practice, I think I can improve my score significantly next time around.