PDA

View Full Version : Request feedback: Shepherd scopes

wsmc27
07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Anyone use any of these Shepherd scopes?

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/index.asp

I saw their full-page ad in Shotgun News recently. Did a search here on the board, didn't see anything.

Are they comperable to Nikon, Bushnell, Refield, or... ????

Not looking for recomendations for a specific app, just on the product and manufacturer.

Appreciate any thoughts, knowledge and/or feedback. :)

Divernhunter
07-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Excellant product. I have used several different ones and all worked well. I have a friend in Wy who will only use them on his big game rifles and has in all sorts of weather conditions etc for years. I think they have the best range finding reticle of any out there for hunting.
If you get one follow the directions for sighting in as it is different than other scopes. Not hard just different.

wsmc27
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks! :)

Anyone else?

bruce_ventura
07-25-2010, 8:53 AM
AFAIK, a family-owned business with good customer support.
Novel use of first and second plane reticles, but the primary benefit to that extra cost and complexity seems to be zeroing the rifle in one shot.
Rangefinding reticle seems best suited for older calibers with a lot of bullet drop.
The main drawbacks are marginal optical performance, especially with respect to glare and chroma correction, limited choice of objective sizes, and high price (by about 2X).

wsmc27
07-26-2010, 7:35 PM
Thank you Sir.

Spaceghost
07-29-2010, 5:31 PM
Wow, I feel like I just got a good helping of learn something new everyday with your post. Thank you for sharing.

AFAIK, a family-owned business with good customer support.
Novel use of first and second plane reticles, but the primary benefit to that extra cost and complexity seems to be zeroing the rifle in one shot.
Rangefinding reticle seems best suited for older calibers with a lot of bullet drop.
The main drawbacks are marginal optical performance, especially with respect to glare and chroma correction, limited choice of objective sizes, and high price (by about 2X).

PapeCAT
08-08-2010, 11:14 PM
It appears that they aren't that popular but I have their varmint scope on order (backordered until Aug 12th) to mount on my Savage .223 Precision 10 Carbine.

sindominator
08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I got to shot a 300win mag that belongs to a friend of my dad. On it was a shepperd scope. It was very impressive... The guy said the rifle came with the scope and he's had it for many years with no issues what so ever.