PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, is California completely out of its mind?

The Soup Nazi
04-19-2006, 3:07 PM
So yes, as a proud American at the age of 15, I'll be obtaining my first gun soon. Then I noticed how much of a joke of an American state this is when I was reading up on our gun laws. I guess to try to convey the message that I actually think things through instead of just whining about things and providing no helpful feedback, I'll bring up each issue in a paragraph which will make it easier for anyone with opposing views to countest a certain issue.

1. Gun Control in itself. What kind of joke is this? Our founding fathers would've been spinning in their graves if they saw the sorry state our gun rights are right now. Its just a symbol of de facto rule over us citizens which brings me to the belief that Liberals are the new facists of America. (Ah, you guessed it, Libertarian rant). It seems that the Liberals want to keep guns out of /our/ hands, but they want them in the hands of thier upper echelon of politicans and bodyguards. They want us to completely depend on them for their safety and well being, thats pretty much how facists operate. Its not completely their faults though, it seems a majority of Californians have bought into the whole "Bread and Circuses" thing.

2. Gun Free Zones. Again, another joke. I live so close to /3/ schools that I wouldn't be able to step outside and put an unloaded gun into the trunk of a car thats parked on the street thats on our property. I mean come on, do our politicians think they're Gandalf from Lord of the Rings with their whole magic "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" act and prevent a school shooting? If a criminal is going to commit a crime, why would he even consider obeying gun laws? I mean, if a school shooting were to take place, I'd feel the need to sit on my hands and say, "Well, I could've helped save some lives, but then again, this is a gun-free zone, and I want to obey the law." Unfortunately I consider myself of possessing too high of a moral character to sit idly and punish those too young to have anything to do with our current legislation.

3. Ignorance of the politcians. I mean come on, whats the most outrageous ban have you heard since the .50 cal ban? I'd probably say the ban on any ammunition with the word "Magnum" in Los Angeles. Seriously, when was the last time anyone heard the word magnum used in gun nomenclature. And you all remember the North Hollywood shoot-out, law enforcement with political agendas and ignorant media reporters kept calling those AK-47s "fully-automatic". Of course anyone who did their research (and its not that hard, I'm not even old enough to possess live ammunition and I managed to do it) knew that the criminals had commercial clones of the AK-47 with Tri-burst activators. I really think a few people have become paranoid after watching the firefight in the street scene of Heat with the AR15s.

4. Dependability of the Police. They're not legally obligated to defend you, and yet our legislatures want to strip us of our constitutional right to defend yourself. Again, the whole dependancy thing. They aren't the ones I'd want to entrust them with my lives. Apparently it never occured to them to aim at the head when the criminals at North Hollywood had /body armor/ and they had 9mm pistols.

5. "Assault Weapons". Yes, we know, you watch movies. Its good to know that you think that watching movies automatically educates you in guns just like listening to Rammstein makes you proficent in German. Nuff said.

So the solution to these problems? For number 4, this one is easy, how about giving the police some AR-15s or MP5s? I'm not going to break the law, so it isn't going to be a problem for me, but then again, the Police probably do need it if they couldn't manage to take out the criminals at Hollywood at the parking lot. Number 5 and number 3 just require some education, I mean, fire a gun in real life, READ SOME MANUALS or subscripe to a magazine that educates you in gun useage. Number 2 and 1 are harder to solve because of the liberal monopoly on California. You see, the 2nd Amendment states that the Right to bear arms will NOT BE INFRINGED. Well, these magazine limits, "assault weapon" bans, Gun Free zones, gun rationing, and waiting periods sure are infringing our rights. Our government is afraid of us, so they want to take the power away from us. But thats what the country was built on, fear of the people, that way consideration could be given to the people. You see, if the government does a good job, it has nothing to fear. When it does a sub-par job, well, lets see if we can work em out politically. If the government really craps on our rights (which they already have done with Eminate Domain and Gun Control), well, I'll be proud to stand up and fight for my rights in a country where over 250 million guns are presently in the hands of American Citizens.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.

Edit: I'd just like to expand on the connection between Liberals and facism. Hitler required the registration of all firearms somewhere around the 1930s for safety reasons. Then later he took away all the guns. Look how great the Third Reich turned out, all the Jews and people who recognized Hitler as a lunatic unable to do anything about what their country was doing. Look at California. If they take away all of our gun rights, they'll be able to get away with spending a night in our mothers' bedrooms and we won't be able to do a single thing.

grammaton76
04-19-2006, 3:11 PM
Nice sentiments and all, but if you posted that to get some dialogue from dissenting viewpoints, I don't think you'll find much dissent on here. Kinda like preaching to the choir...

Now, post that on Craigslist or some other anti-gun bastion, you'll probably get a lot of dialogue going but probably not productive...

Muzz
04-19-2006, 3:12 PM
You are a smart lad. Yes, California is run by people who are completely insane, for the most part. Don't let college ruin you someday.

The Soup Nazi
04-19-2006, 3:13 PM
Heh, whoops, but then again, I could at least be reassuring the "current gen" line of Californian shooters that there is a "next generation" of shooters and that we haven't been competely been brainwashed by the bias against guns that we're subjected to in school.

BamBam-31
04-19-2006, 3:20 PM
One note: When you're the guy with a 9mm handgun in a 7.62x39mm AK fight (and the other guy's wearing body armor), it's kinda hard to get a head shot. This ain't "24." Generally, you run for cover (cover, not concealment) and pray. As much as I dislike po-po's for various reasons, I find it difficult to fault them or find them lacking in this particular instance.

shopkeep
04-19-2006, 3:22 PM
I can only hope that most 15 year olds and other teenagers feel the same way you do. If we can get more young people involved and educated and get them politically active we will have an excellent chance at turning the tables. How people your age feel about gun control IS important and it DOES make a difference.

Almost 20 years ago or so when I was 15, Californian gun laws were no different than any other state. You could own any semi-auto rifle you wanted and there were a lot of great places to go shooting. CCWs were still issued by sheriffs but you were MUCH likelier to get one. But kids my age were all against private ownership of firearms and all the MTV music videos and youth thinking of the day was anti-gun... look at what happened when we grew up and started voting :(!

Do you part, turn on your friends to the 2nd Amendment and spread the word. Just because you're not a politician, business owner, a Ben Cannon, or a Bill Weise doesn't mean you can't make a difference! I agree with everything you've written here and I gotta tell you the future is in good hands! Guys like you and Brad aka "Blacklisted" make me proud :D.

blacklisted
04-19-2006, 3:22 PM
Firearms on School Grounds
It is unlawful for any person to possess or bring a firearm upon the grounds of, into, or
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school providing instruction in
kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or a campus of the University of California,
California State University, or California community colleges. (Penal Code 626.9.)

I live right next to a school, and it's not a problem. See the exceptions:

Exceptions
A person who has the written permission of the school district superintendent,
designee, or equivalent school authority.
Within a place of residence or place of business or on private property, if the place
of residence, place of business, or private property is not part of the school grounds
and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.
If the firearm is an unloaded handgun in a locked container or within the locked
trunk of a motor vehicle, or the otherwise lawful transportation of an unloaded long
gun.

The Soup Nazi
04-19-2006, 3:25 PM
Well, yes, I understand the psycological effect and adrenaline one would get when supressed by automatic fire. However, the police were definately aiming for the center-mass primarily when they knew they had body armor. Thats why I'd consider them incompetant during that situation.

BamBam-31
04-19-2006, 3:36 PM
Further note: Maybe it's me, but whenever I read the tree of liberty quote, I tend to think it applies more to countries where democracy is not a way of life. I doubt our state of affairs will ever get to the point where we'd have to take up arms against our own government. There are those on gunboards that will rant on and on about what they'd do to JBT's no-knocking them in the middle of the night, but for the most part, I think it's just internet venting.

Your heart's in the right place, however. Just remember, as many here will tell you, the war we wage is a soft war. Educate yourself and others, battle at the booths.

PanzerAce
04-19-2006, 3:49 PM
I can only hope that most 15 year olds and other teenagers feel the same way you do. If we can get more young people involved and educated and get them politically active we will have an excellent chance at turning the tables. How people your age feel about gun control IS important and it DOES make a difference.

The interesting thing shop, is that these days, it seems that young people (myself included), are not so much anti gun as ambivilant about them untill they go to the range. Truthfully, no body here at UCM (mostly LA basin and SF Bay area people) that I have met is anti gun. For the most part, when they find out that I go to the range, they say some like "That sounds really fun, can I go with you sometime?" I think that in a way, the rabid anti gun position of the older generation of liberals actually turned alot of people off from that message, especially the younger generations.

50 Freak
04-19-2006, 3:51 PM
Not bad for a 15 year old.

At 15, I was only concerned about not getting zits.

Charliegone
04-19-2006, 4:06 PM

Almost 20 years ago or so when I was 15, Californian gun laws were no different than any other state. You could own any semi-auto rifle you wanted and there were a lot of great places to go shooting. CCWs were still issued by sheriffs but you were MUCH likelier to get one. But kids my age were all against private ownership of firearms and all the MTV music videos and youth thinking of the day was anti-gun... look at what happened when we grew up and started voting :(!

Do you part, turn on your friends to the 2nd Amendment and spread the word. Just because you're not a politician, business owner, a Ben Cannon, or a Bill Weise doesn't mean you can't make a difference! I agree with everything you've written here and I gotta tell you the future is in good hands! Guys like you and Brad aka "Blacklisted" make me proud :D.

Dude, my co-worker loves guns and owns several guns and she says she enjoys shooting (but hasn't gone out in a while due to college) one of my friends in college right now looks like a hard core hippy. He hates Bush(yeah I know but just listen), but guess what? Dude hates gun control. He says its useless and doesn't find the logic in gun laws. I WAS like wtf? They seem extremely liberal (some of my friends), but I think nowadays people in college (and younger people) are starting to notice that gun control is just bs. Remember we also have the internet, which is a great source of the truth.;) So yeah I have a couple of friends who love guns and hate gun control, most of them are still young like in their 18 to early 20's so its somewhat inspiring.:D

sierratangofoxtrotunion
04-19-2006, 5:05 PM
The interesting thing shop, is that these days, it seems that young people (myself included), are not so much anti gun as ambivilant about them untill they go to the range. For the most part, when they find out that I go to the range, they say some like "That sounds really fun, can I go with you sometime?" I think that in a way, the rabid anti gun position of the older generation of liberals actually turned alot of people off from that message, especially the younger generations.

I agree. I'm still pretty young, and I don't think I know anybody who is anti-gun. Most are either pro-gun and want to go to the range with me or gun-curious, or, as you said, ambivalent.

The Soup Nazi
04-19-2006, 5:07 PM
Unfortunately last year, when we actually GOT to say the pledge of allegiance (This year the announcements don't even give us a time to collectively say it together, thank you ACLU), only my friend, me, and my teacher actually verbly said it instead of just stand there with a dumb look with your right hand placed on your chest as if it were a reflex like the Nazi salute.

yiha
04-19-2006, 5:14 PM
i agree with you.

Impressive post for a 15'yr old. (not that im _that_ much older! haha)

sf7108@yahoo.com
04-19-2006, 5:22 PM
Soup Nazi,I applaude you for your views,considering your age,you rock! I'm 50,keep trucking guy,this state needs you:)

PIRATE14
04-19-2006, 6:37 PM
Come and work for me when you turn 16........

Nice rant.....spread it to the rest of your friends.

At 15.....it was fast cars and girls.

Yes I was driving at 15.......cruising "E" ST in Berdoo.......

kenc9
04-19-2006, 6:46 PM
Come and work for me when you turn 16........

Nice rant.....spread it to the rest of your friends.

At 15.....it was fast cars and girls.

Yes I was driving at 15.......cruising "E" ST in Berdoo.......

It's not still fast cars and girls????
Never thought that ended???!!! HAHA

I think the thing that hurts us the most in Kalifornia with gun laws is mostly how things are around East L.A/Longbeach area and up around the Oakland areas.

I'll tell ya the vampires come out after dark and every last darn one has something to shoot.

-ken

Muzz
04-19-2006, 7:29 PM
Firearms on School Grounds
It is unlawful for any person to possess or bring a firearm upon the grounds of, into, or
within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school providing instruction in
kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or a campus of the University of California,
California State University, or California community colleges. (Penal Code 626.9.)
In early spring 1983 a friend of mine took a .22 rifle to our high school and sold it to a teacher. This was before school, in the classroom. The rifle was brought through the halls covered in a towel. The teacher handed over money and put it in his class closet for the day. Oh, the good ole days.

Shows you how twisted things have become when a squirt gun can get you expelled.

madjack956
04-19-2006, 7:56 PM
maybe all those x-box games are having a positive effect on the younger generation...

dawson8r
04-19-2006, 7:57 PM
My father-in-law was in the Air Force an spent the last 30 years of his life in Okinawa. My wife and all her siblings are "American born abroad" and my wife, until recently, was the only member of her family living in the states.

Last time her brother visited I took him shooting on some private land out in BFE. He was pretty much anti-gun because that was all he knew in Japan. Well, after 4 mags through an AK-74, 2 mags through an M1A, and 4-5 mags through my G17, he was damn near ready to move here.

A lot of people have never held or fired a gun. All they have ever known is that guns are bad. They often believe that all other people must feel the same way they do. This is called projection. It is particularly dangerous to our gun rights when the person doing the projecting is a politician.

Do someone a favor: take them shooting. It will open their eyes.

CSkyhawk72
04-19-2006, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the post, Soup Nazi! Thank GOD the next generation has some good kids left in it! (Not sure if any of you remember that video that was posted on here last week.... the one with the Aerostar van with spinners).... I was seriously starting to get worried!

Anyway, it's good to see a thinking 15 year old out there. Hopefully he'll be elected Governor someday and clean this mess up! :D

WokMaster1
04-19-2006, 8:45 PM

+1 & then some.

Soupy, I think I just found a mentor for my baby boy. You are a big breath of fresh air. It is wonderful to find out that a lot of the younger generation have not been poisoned by the anti gun machine. There is hope after all. Keep the crusade going.:)

The Soup Nazi
04-19-2006, 8:48 PM
Well, I'm not the only one out there, I just started to talk about guns and great things like that, and I've already found 3 like minded individuals who fortunately see two things:

1. Guns are cool

2. They want to have security in being able to conduct their own self defense.

The bias against guns is still out there, but they can't take us all down.

superhondaz50
04-19-2006, 8:54 PM
nice post soup, its nice to know some younger people out there still care about guns! (not that i'm much older!) as for this In early spring 1983 a friend of mine took a .22 rifle to our high school and sold it to a teacher. This was before school, in the classroom. The rifle was brought through the halls covered in a towel. The teacher handed over money and put it in his class closet for the day. Oh, the good ole days.

My 8th grade shop teacher once told a story about how one of the students built a semi 1919a4 in class back in the 80's! just an interesting tidbit!

lh2soda
04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
wow, this dude is one articulate sob!! And he is only 15.... i am jealous..

Soup, I guess you have to see it from the position of the gun biased people...

I don't want to get all political about it becuase I am not right nor am I left - but from my point of view the anti- gun factions are just plain silly! It is almost as if they don't trust us with the power to defend ourselves. We are all guilty of violence until proven innocent!!! Prop H in SF is a clear example of that - taking guns away from citizens to protect them from themselves; while at the sametime ignoring the real problem at hand - society's extraneality of crime.

I do not like using the word liberal to describe that idealistic group of people, since that is not the right use of that word because originally "liberal" means government hands off. It seems that in modern society the neo- liberal means: government please solve everything because the average modern human is just too stupid, violent, and ignorant to be entrusted with the freedom to live their own life.

The Soup Nazi
04-20-2006, 5:55 AM
Well, thats the problem with the whole world in general. In times of crisis, we'll dump our trust into Hitler or Mussolini or Patriot Act, hoping for a quick fix. The reality is that you're probably screwing yourself over if you're relying on someone else and willing to take bread and circuses for an unjust rule.

I mean, look at America, look at Rome, they had to fight for their freedom from tyranical rulers. I'd like to consider that both of these countries are (was in the case of Rome) very succesful. Now you look at a country like Iraq or Iran, who were given their independence by Britain, albeit with no preperation. And guess what, they're repeating 1930-1940 by gassing the kurds, and they're so backwards they can't even civily rule themselves like people 2000 years ago.

Its not like its happening here too. With gun control, the politicians want us to completely rely on them. Welfare for one thing is breeding a generation of stupid and stagnate people whose only concern is maintaining their line of cash for no work. More Libertarian ranting, but I hope you can see my point.

Mute
04-20-2006, 7:37 AM
We might have some hope if we have more kids like you. Spread the "disease" and get your friends to go shooting.

BamBam-31
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM

This is prolly one of the best things we gunnies can do to help our collective cause. It's easy, it's fun, it's enlightening, all in one fell swoop. Dispels many of the myths and stereotypes brainwashed into the hoi polloi about gun enthusiasts and firearms as a whole.

The Soup Nazi
04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
Seriously, I've had some friends joke on me and say that I shouldn't shoot them if I go on a spree because they've been nice to me. I even had a teacher give me a nasty look and type in a 3 digit number into the phone when I was denouncing the bias against guns and just in general talking about them with a friend who has a great interest in them as well.

Fortunately my biology teacher last year is a proud gun owner, so hes pretty fun to talk to when it comes to gun politics or guns themselves.

icormba
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
"Seriously, is California completely out of its mind?"

Yes ;)

What high school do you attend? in San Jose?

p.s. No Soup for you!!

The Soup Nazi
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
PHHS for the win.

Super_tactical
04-21-2006, 11:12 AM
PHHS for the win.
I thought you were homeschooled by your first post. I'm surprised that our public school system churned out such a bright and non-brainwashed individual as yourself. Did your parents teach you a lot of things?

Super_tactical
04-21-2006, 11:18 AM
I do not like using the word liberal to describe that idealistic group of people, since that is not the right use of that word because originally "liberal" means government hands off. It seems that in modern society the neo- liberal means: government please solve everything because the average modern human is just too stupid, violent, and ignorant to be entrusted with the freedom to live their own life.
Good word.

The Soup Nazi
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
My parents didn't exactly teach me much except my Christian and moral values. I'd like to think that I'm not a sheep that buys everything the school tries to shove down your throat. People don't care about things and want to rely on others until disaster hits home so to speak.

762cavalier
04-21-2006, 4:51 PM
Wow Kid ( and I DO NOT mean anything disparaging about that) You are amazingly educated in the subject for your age and you are a breath of fresh air to us older jaded folks. I have run into the same phenomenon with younger people today: more of a "we can go shooting(as if the practice had already been banned) or a genuine interest in firearms and firearms ownership. Please keep educating yourself in whatever manner you have already as you are way ahead of some of your peers in your ability to express yourself, your beliefs and the ability to question the B.S. you may be being fed by people unwilling to educate themselves, who just slip quietly into the bit, like an old horse.

aklover_91
04-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Soup Nazi, I too am 15, and noticed long ago how insane the people running our state are, and it's nice to know someone else my age treats this as a serious problem and actually researches these things. You are a credit to our generation, and it is quite refreshing to hear something intelligent from some one else my age, instead of the normal GUNS KILL PEOPLE!!!! most kids have, or just the random "gangsta" imma pop a nine in your home skillet G talk.(that almost pisses me off more then the anti gun kids, its not "cool" to be uneducated, guys:mad: )

ETA what gun are you getting? If you haven't decided yet, and don't mind an older gun, I HIGHLY recommend a Mosin Nagant, they're cheap to buy, cheap to feed, and damn fun to shoot.

WhiteSands
04-21-2006, 11:10 PM
You are a smart lad. Yes, California is run by people who are completely insane, for the most part. Don't let college ruin you someday.

"If you aren't a liberal at age 16, you have no heart. If you aren't a conservative at age 40, you have no brain." -Ronald Reagan

The Soup Nazi
04-22-2006, 6:09 AM
I think the same quote goes for Socialists as well, but by a different person. And I HAD planned on getting a Mosin Nagant M91/30 manufactured in Tula with a laminated stock, but I've decided against it because after a recent visit, I've fallen in love with the Russian SKS

PanzerAce
04-22-2006, 9:09 AM
well, just thought I would throw in my .02 in the SKS v 91/30 decision. I personally am going to be going with a Mosin and a Mauser over the summer, since I became afflicted with WWII bolt action disease at the same time as black rifle disease. getting an SKS will probably be put off to when I finish up atleast one AR and the AK.

aklover_91
04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
SKS's are good to, I just picked a Yugo up a week or two ago. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though...

VeryCoolCat
04-22-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm pretty liberal, except I don't believe that the law is up to interpretation on some parts one way and some parts the other way for those who see fit.

If history has taught us one thing, be it the pointy stick, sword, or firearm. When all else fails, you'll be glad you have had one.

I do believe SOME gun laws are in place for reason, i've been to a mental hospital and there are some seriously crazy individuals out there. Though as long as your not a criminal you should be allowed to own.