PDA

View Full Version : Kahr P9 Vs. CW9?

jbohon
07-21-2010, 8:55 PM
I've been shopping for a good concealed carry weapon recently and was introduced to the Kahr P9 by a local dealer. it fits the bill perfectly and is just what I was looking for. During our discussion however, he told me that he regularly sells the Kahr CW9 for about $150 less. I asked him what the differences were between the two, but he couldn't tell me. :confused: I did some homework and found that the P9 has a polygonal barrel while the CW9 has a conventional barrel. This is where I get lost... can someone help me with what the differences are? I understand that one has grooves cut into it and the other is hammer forged but what does this mean in terms of accuracy? Is one better than the other? Do either of them have specific problems? I'd hate to spend an extra $150 for something I'd never need/ use. Any light anyone could shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated...

Patchbunny
07-21-2010, 9:34 PM
From the Kahr web page:

The main differences are that the CW Series have conventional rifling, instead of match grade polygonal rifling; the CW Series have a MIM (metal-injection-molded) slide stop lever, instead of a machined slide stop lever; the CW Series cannot be retrofitted with night sights because the slide does not have a front dovetail cut; the CW Series slide have fewer machining operations; and the CW Series have simple engraving on the slide instead of rollmarking; and the CW Series are shipped with one magazine instead of two.

Go here and click (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=324019) on the "CW vs KP" link.

mike100
07-21-2010, 9:43 PM
I'd like to have the all steel special edition variants, but when comparing the premium polymer frame P series vs the CW series with the same frame, I'm happy to have saved money on the basic gun. It's just a large pocket gun with 8+1 9mm capacity. Seems reliable with good ammo and fits my hand well... At first I wanted the nicer one, but bought the CW9 because i got it for $400 to try out the Kahr brand. I'm over that and think of it as an appliance. It's working, I bought an extra mag, and that's it- have it if i need it kind of thing.

the extra mag expense was the only downside as that does narrow the gap on the discount price.

troysland
07-21-2010, 9:54 PM
I have a CW9 for CCW and love it.

9mmepiphany
07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
i have the Kahr CW9 and it share time with my Springfield EMP as my smallest carry guns
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1646.jpg

i thought i'd miss the polygonal rifling (higher quality, more velocity/accuracy) the most, but this hasn't been the case. the part i miss the the most, after it only coming with one mag, is the extra machining and roll-mark on the slide. the Kahr is such a high quality gun with superior design, that the engraving, instead of roll-marking, makes it look a little cheap. the lack of a dove-tailed front sight looks OK, but it does limit your sight choices.

the P9 is certainly worth the extra $150, but the price of the CW9 does put it in a more affordable price range...for folks who like the sight set, don't need a 2nd mag, don't mind the MIM slidestop lever and don't mind the slide contour.

i'd sell mine and get a high grade Kahr, except i've already had it the trigger cleaned up and the exterior deburred
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1703.jpg

chuckdc
07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
The part about a CW9 not being capable of having retrofitted night sights is no longer correct. Kahr sells them for home fitting for 80 bucks, or you can have them put them on for 120.

jermedic
07-22-2010, 5:28 PM
I love my cw9 and it is going to be added to my permit next week if I have time to go to the Sheriff's station. I would reccomend it. Not quite as refined as the p9, but it is reliable, fun and shoots any ammo I have tried so far.

3GunFunShooter
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I got the CW9 and have put about 200 rounds down it. Great gun no FTF or FTE.
Still breaking it in. Very accurate. Sold my Glock 26 to get the Kahr, no regrets.