PDA

View Full Version : Acquisition of an Off-Roster firearm

OriginalDuplicate
07-21-2010, 7:57 PM
I read the threads about obtaining an off-roster handgun. I think I understand them and I believe I have found a way for me to obtain one legally.

My sister lives in OK. She can purchase the handgun I desire and PPT it to my father (Intra-Family). It will be sent to an FFL in California where my dad lives. He will receive it after his 10 day waiting period then he can then PPT it to me, his son (again Intra-Family). From my understanding this doesn't violate anything. Is this correct?

Secondly, [Assuming that my theory above is correct] I was planning on getting a 9mm XD in OD Green (Black and SS are on the roster, not OD Green). My sister was asking why not just get the XDM if you are going for something off the roster. I know the XD isn't on the roster because the lack of a magazine interlock BUT does that stop me from having one in the state at all? Could I still obtain an XDM through my family?

Thanks for all your help.

Librarian
07-21-2010, 8:05 PM
I read the threads about obtaining an off-roster handgun. I think I understand them and I believe I have found a way for me to obtain one legally.

My sister lives in OK. She can purchase the handgun I desire and PPT it to my father (Intra-Family). It will be sent to an FFL in California where my dad lives. He will receive it after his 10 day waiting period then he can then PPT it to me, his son (again Intra-Family). From my understanding this doesn't violate anything. Is this correct?

Secondly, [Assuming that my theory above is correct] I was planning on getting a 9mm XD in OD Green (Black and SS are on the roster, not OD Green). My sister was asking why not just get the XDM if you are going for something off the roster. I know the XD isn't on the roster because the lack of a magazine interlock BUT does that stop me from having one in the state at all? Could I still obtain an XDM through my family?

Thanks for all your help.

You have the process right, but the terms are a bit different.

"PPT" is a California-resident-only legal term.

In both cases, you are proposing an intrafamily transfer; the first one is also INTERSTATE, OK - CA, so it has to go through a CA-FFL.

The second one is just an in-CA intrafamilial transfer, needing only the Oplaw form.

See the wiki articles on intra family (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members) and inter state (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate) transfer.

As to the last question, the Roster is a limitation on what CA FFLs can sell to those not exempt from the Roster. It has nothing to do with ownership or possession.

plan-b
07-21-2010, 8:42 PM
For the XDm, the limitation is that they don't make 10 round magazines (last I checked). In order for your dad to do the safety handling demonstration, he'll need a working magazine, which can't be the stock magazines as-is. So you'd need to get your hands on the full-capacity magazine parts, then assemble them as a permanent 10-rounder. You'd need to have this prior to the pick-up date.

MA2
07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
all 3 green 9mm (sub, service, tactical) are on list.
we are talking about frame color, not slide right?

xd (as with all pistols) are cheaper priced in other states, but keep in mind:
shops charge extra for out of state transfer
overnight delivery

Cyc Wid It
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
The xD != xDm.

ArcLight
07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Im going to have my LE buddy get one and just PPT it.

OmutaX
07-22-2010, 1:32 AM
Hold on, then could my father (a CA LEO) transfer the off list handguns that he has in his possession to me, sans non-gimped magazines? I'm very interested in this.

Anchors
07-22-2010, 1:38 AM
Hold on, then could my father (a CA LEO) transfer the off list handguns that he has in his possession to me, sans non-gimped magazines? I'm very interested in this.

Bingo.
You just saved yourself a lot of time and money.
Your dad is completely exempt from the roster.
He can legally buy any off-roster firearm and give it to you via inter-familial transfer.
Have fun and remember to get your dad an awesome Father's Day gift next year haha.

OmutaX
07-22-2010, 1:51 AM
Bingo.
You just saved yourself a lot of time and money.
Your dad is completely exempt from the roster.
He can legally buy any off-roster firearm and give it to you via inter-familial transfer.
Have fun and remember to get your dad an awesome Father's Day gift next year haha.

Haha, thanks. Good to know.

I'll probably end up spending a lot more though:

"Dad, can you get me a XXXX XXXXX in .45 and transfer it to me?"

"Sure. You must have some money to spend these days son. I wouldn't mind that XXXX XXXX in .40 I've been eyein' for a while."

Me: "FFFFUUUuuu-!"