PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Left Hander

UnitedWeStand
07-21-2010, 2:04 PM
Hello Everybody,
I am a newbie and would like some advice on purchasing a handgun. I am left handed and would like some recommendation. So far it looks like the FNX, H&k USP, and the Springfield XD are ambidextrous. Also should I buy a 9mm or a 45....Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!! :)

RandyD
07-21-2010, 2:13 PM
I am left handed and have owned, fired and had to use a variety of handguns for both duty and personal enjoyment, and I have never felt limited in being able to use any of those handguns. You just need to figure out how to use the handgun while holding it left handed. As an example, in using a 1911, I use my left trigger finger to manipulate the magazine release and slide stop. To actuate the safety, I use left thumb by moving it to the left side.

UnitedWeStand
07-21-2010, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, but what about holster for a left hander and the 1911.

orangeusa
07-21-2010, 2:26 PM
CompTac(sp), BladeTec(sp), Blackhawk all resonably priced in Left or Right.
Safariland are higher end on the price range...

Don't konw about leather, but in general, lefty holsters are available just about every manufacturer, but usually not in stock. So you wait a bit longer.

Bolt action rifle is the only limitation I've seen so far. And yet, some lefty snipers using bolts exist, but as a simple shooter, never got the hang of bolt.

Handguns - in most cases are easy to control. And a lot of safeties anymore are ambi. Slide lock on some handguns is slightly more challenging, but just takes practice.

Oh, and the safety on my Marlin 60 is useless, so I just lock the bolt back to assure it's safe... :)

RandyD
07-21-2010, 2:28 PM
I have a Bianchi model 19L and have used it for over 25 years and it has served me well. Its not a high speed, low drag or high tech holster, but I don't need anything like that anyway. There are lots of newer designs out, just shop around and enjoy the process.

beaster
07-21-2010, 2:30 PM
I've shot a variety of handguns and never had an issue adapting to right handed configurations. The only handgun I currently own is a .40 S&W Model 411 with a right side ejection port, and I'm perfectly comfortable with it in my hands. It all depends on how it feels in yours. I like the feel of HK and Sigs, though I've had my eye on the S&W M&P and Sigma models lately. Take your time, shop around, and go to a few ranges that let you rent and try some out.

Milsurp Collector
07-21-2010, 2:31 PM
MfxZGH2wiWg&rel=0
Y_BF_lrVE44&rel=0
I3M1IB9hqOk&rel=0

RandyD
07-21-2010, 2:31 PM
On using a bolt action rifle. When I used a bolt gun in competition and I had to shoot from positions like prone and sitting, having a left handed bolt was more convenient. When using a bolt action rifle for hunting, I found it quicker to use a right handed bolt action rifle. I operated the right bolt with my right hand while maintaining a grip with my left hand.

beaster
07-21-2010, 2:45 PM
Check out the Mountain View Surplus on Bascom AV. They have a few flavors of accessories (like holsters) for shooting at reasonable prices. Let me know when you're ready to hit the range. We can meet up at Target Masters in Milpitas or down at Metcalf(outdoor range just south of SJ) and plink away.

Fjold
07-21-2010, 3:32 PM
Any handgun with the safety tab on the trigger or ambidextrous safety levers will work for a lefty.

On bolt rifles when hunting, operating a right handed rifle with the wrong hand will cause you to lose the sight picture for a longer period of time when trying to make a fast follow up shot.

kmca
07-21-2010, 3:38 PM
First, I think you should tell us what you're going to use it for. There are very different requirements for each discipline, especially in holsters.

mswanson223
07-21-2010, 3:43 PM
Most modern firearms have the abillity of be ambidextrous. (sp?)

twotap
07-21-2010, 3:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, but what about holster for a left hander and the 1911.

I use a Uncle Mikes Sidekick #19 for both a 1911 and a 4" revolver

UnitedWeStand
07-22-2010, 6:13 AM
First, I think you should tell us what you're going to use it for. There are very different requirements for each discipline, especially in holsters.

Wow, you guys are very knowledgeable about all kind of different guns. Thanks for the advices and very informative tips. I mainly want something for home defense for now(more guns later). I just bought a Remington 870 Express HD 26503 and was thinking of having a sidearm for backup. I was very interested in the FNX because it was a good price and for left hander. That's why I am here, looking for professional advice.

evidens83
07-22-2010, 7:02 AM
G19

Dubious_Beans
07-22-2010, 9:22 AM
I'm left handed and I like my XD9 a lot so far.

My local gun shop doesn't stock ANY left handed holsters and I'm still trying to decide what to order...

D.Beans

Untamed1972
07-22-2010, 9:31 AM
As a lefty the only thing I really pay attention is the placement of any manual safety. I dont use the slide stop and a slide release. In tactical terms, when doing reloads it's better, for a lefty anyway, to just rack the slide to release it. Mag release is easily done with index finger of left hand. But ultimately the glock is noce because there is not manual safety to hafta deal with.

Woodworker2
07-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Here are a few more that come to mind.

Pistols available new with ambi safety:

CZ 75 in .40 S&W
CZ 75 Tactical Sport, in 9mm and .40 S&W
Sig X-5
Sig P220 - some models
Beretta 92
Ruger P-series

Pistols available used (private party or consignment) with ambi safety:

CZ 85 series (ambi safety and ambi slide release)
EAA Witness (can be converted with factory parts)
Several models from Taurus (92, 945, etc.)
Several models from Smith and Wesson (5904, etc.)