PDA

View Full Version : question about private transfer

hp95125
07-21-2010, 1:28 PM
Sorry for posting a thread not selling anything, I have a question related to the forum and didn't find a better place.

I am considering buying a pistol from a private party. this will most likely be a cash transaction in a FFL.

How do I know the pistol "title" is clean? in other words, that it is not stolen or from shady background, and the owner is the legal owner of it? (he is not the original owner and doesn't have a receipt for it).

is this something the FFL is verifying when he is registering it to my name?

if I paid the owner cash finding out there's a problem in the waiting period would be too late. what am I missing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I realize it is not likely for someone to try and sell a stolen gun through FFL, I just want to be safe.

Izzy43
07-21-2010, 1:39 PM
I don't know for sure but I believe that the owner you are buying from will pop up on DROS as the legal owner or not the legal owner when the FFL does the DROS check. If you are really concerned and the current owner is really honest then make a deal with him that you will give him the money on the day that the weapon legally becomes yours. I think there are safeguards in place to protect you but I'm not an FFL so its best to check with the FFL who will do the transfer before any money changes hands. Just protect yourself. If something doesn't feel right then just walk. There will always be other guns.

phkk
07-21-2010, 1:40 PM
that why, you shouldn't buy an used one. Better stick with brand new gun :-)

worry free but it is costly

jink122
07-21-2010, 1:57 PM
Wrong area, should post under general discussion

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

But to answer your question before ADMINS move ur post, generally a shaddy gun will get figured out when the FFL does a transfer. Inspect the gun, ask for a receipt from the owner. I have all my receipts and transfer documents for ALL of my firearms. If you really want to see if there are any issues, ask to meet him at a range to test it out. Generally most cal gunners are honest.

After you pay the buyer cash, its pretty much over. So inspect the gun, test the gun if you can, and ask for a proof of purchase.

puropuro
07-21-2010, 2:01 PM
I did a PPT a couple years ago from a fellow calgunner moving out of state. I paid him in cash when we filled out the transfer forms, but did ask him to provide a hand written receipt...just in case. He understood, and penned up a quickie on a piece of paper, with sn#'s and transaction amount, and signed it. Was a totally smooth transaction.

The ffl will catch anything illegal, and the receipt would at least give me some recourse if I needed to go to court. That's why I really like the iTrader rating on Calguns....gives me piece of mind.

viet4lifeOC
07-21-2010, 2:29 PM
I have similiar concerns. What's the purpose of having a hand written receipt? isn't a DROS and PPT documents enough proof should any legal action be taken?

I bought my first used gun from a calguns.net member--went smoothly and was very happy.

I also tend to pay a lot more just to buy a new gun just to have piece of mind.

halifax
07-21-2010, 3:43 PM
I have similiar concerns. What's the purpose of having a hand written receipt? isn't a DROS and PPT documents enough proof should any legal action be taken?

To document the selling price. That would not be on the DROS.