View Full Version : Acog for 50 BMG?

07-21-2010, 9:37 AM
I've been using my Acog on a M3HB 50 cal gun. The sight works great, but I wanted more magnification. I've read about the issues with scopes failing on 50 cal so I called Trijicon

This is what they told me.

An Acog is rated for 1100 G's at a period of .2 milli=seconds

An Accupoint is rated for 500 G's at 1 milli second.

My question is does that mean an ACOG can handle more of a sharp load, or if the load exceeds .2 milli seconds its all over?

From the numbers it looks like the Acog handles almost twice the shock delivered in 1/5 the time, or 10 times more acceleration.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Does anyone know the recoil rating on a 50 bmg M3HB or and M2HB?

07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
First of all, when it comes to optics on 50s, the question is not IF a scope will fail but, WHEN will it fail? and, will the company back their product with a great warrentee?

As far as the questions you are asking, I'll suggest shooting bruce ventura a PM about this. He is the man to ask but, I'm not sure if he can dig up data for a 50BMG without a muzzle brake. I know he has some great data on 50BMGs with MBs because, he used one of mine to mount a strain gauge to and measured the recoil from it.

07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I had to look it up, but Trijicon actually does make an ACOG for the .50cal But my question is, given the range capabilities of the round, why by a fixed 6x scope, when for the same price you can purchase a USO that will give you greater magnification? Granted they are both bomb proof optics and with insanely awsome warrenties.

07-21-2010, 1:05 PM
Rero360 beat me to it. Trijicon does make an ACOG specifically for the .50 BMG, even EoTech has a model specifically for the .50 BMG.

07-21-2010, 1:58 PM
Here's a graph showing an acceleration curve (both positive and negative) for a braked .50BMG rifle. As the old saying goes: it's not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end... :)

07-21-2010, 2:21 PM

when accuracy is more important and durability is not to be questioned.

07-21-2010, 9:26 PM
mrkubota, thanks for the graph, I think its what I need. I also think the recoil on a M2 is probably not as severe on the scope with its 120 pounds of mass.

The acog can handle it with no issue, the accupoint however is close

EBR Works
07-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I would agree. Considering the mass of the M2/M3, I think recoil effect on an optic would be minimal. I have been using an Eotech on my M2 so we'll see how it holds up. Fully assembled with a full ammo can, tripod and adapter the gun weighs 200 pounds and recoil is negligible. On a lighter rifle with a brake, it's an entirely different story..

07-22-2010, 5:52 PM
on a beltfed mounted to a tripod, I wouldn't worry about an ACOG lasting.
When I was in Iraq, we'd mount nightvision scopes (which we know have more sensitive parts than an acog) to our ma deuces and never had any issues.