PDA

View Full Version : Can CO resident sell LCP to CA resident?

Jer
07-21-2010, 9:38 AM
Just curious what is involved if this is even possible.

littlejake
07-21-2010, 9:42 AM
No.

dachan
07-21-2010, 9:48 AM
No.

Yes, if the CA resident is exempt from the roster; i.e., LEO. The CO resident can also gift it to the CA resident if a son/daughter, father/mother, grandfather/grandmother relationship exists.

Marlin Hunter
07-21-2010, 9:49 AM
What is an LCP?

gunn
07-21-2010, 9:50 AM
Ways an LCP can make it into CA:
1) Interfamily (Parent/Grandparent to child not sibling to sibling) are exempt
2) LEO are exempt
3) There is an exemption for single shot pistols but the gun must have a significantly longer barrel (>6" IIRC), the overall gun size must be >10.5", and a 0shot mag sled must be locked into the pistol (with a maglock, not just the std release). While anything is possible with enough money, options 1 and 2 are far more viable.

-g

Jer
07-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. Guess that's why they are $500 in Cali and $300 in Colorado.

littlejake
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. Guess that's why they are $500 in Cali and $300 in Colorado.

If you can find one. You might find one in CA that can be transferred via Private Party Transfer (PPT).

If you find one in CA, it came in by one of the routes mentioned above -- LEO buys one; then decides to sell it. Person moves into CA with an LCP and decides to sell it.

Still, the general answer to your originial post is NO. The common citizen of CO cannot sell (transfer) an LCP to a common citizen of CA. [Because it is off-roster; and cannot transfer TO a common subject of the state of CA]

NSR500
07-21-2010, 8:31 PM
Technically, a non-California resident can enter California with an LCP and sell it to a Californian via FTF PPT.

JohnFLand
07-21-2010, 8:42 PM
Technically, a non-California resident can enter California with an LCP and sell it to a Californian via FTF PPT. No. Otherwise there would be a stream of brokers bringing in guns from out of state. Both parties have to be CA residents.

EDIT: now MOVING to CA is a different thing. But then the "both parties have to be CA residents" rule applies.

NSR500
07-21-2010, 9:14 PM
What if I buy a gun from an out of state resident?
While an out of state resident may sell you their gun at a California FFL, it will not be a PPT but an interstate transfer. If it is a handgun, it will need to be on the Roster and subject to the "one handgun in 30 days" restriction.

Disregard my post guys...

Looks like I only had it partially correct. The gun has to be a firearm on the roster, and it is done via "Interstate Transfer".

Quiet
07-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Technically, a non-California resident can enter California with an LCP and sell it to a Californian via FTF PPT.

However, CA DROS will only accept the following forms of ID:
* valid CA driver's license
* valid CA identification card
* valid military identification card with orders for CA

If either the seller or buyer does not have one of the above IDs, then it can not be processed as a PPT and the approved list will apply.

NSR500
07-21-2010, 9:24 PM
Looks like we both posted at 9:14pm, Quiet.

I corrected myself after checking the CGF wiki.