PDA

View Full Version : MK23 and MARK 23 designations

michaelh
07-21-2010, 8:30 AM
I asked this question on another forum. Hopefully someone can answer this...

I know that HK released the MARK 23 as the civilian version of the MK23.

Here is my question. Are the current military models marked as the MK23 USSOCOM or Mark 23?

Thanks!

eccvets
07-21-2010, 2:38 PM
MK23 USSOCOM is still currently in production and is marked as such. I have first hand experinece with the mark23 and its a funny little gun in which it makes you look good. with it, I was able to put two bullets thru the same hole at 25 feet. True its not 25 yards but still, right out of the box and it being my first time shooting the gun, it's pretty friggen accurate for an average shooter like me. Recoil feels like a 9mm or even less, probally because the slide weights so much. It's nothing at all like a usp or usp tatical. As Ferris says, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." You will have to get a new barrel and cut the threads off it or shave them off and get a 10 round mag but it will pretty much kick nearly any other handgun's *** out there other then custom $5k+ guns and even then it will give them a run for their money and probally be more reliable. The thing is a tank and will last a life time. what other handgun was designed as an offensive weapon?

DAUG
07-21-2010, 2:57 PM
Yeah, what he said ...... the MK23 is an awesome handgun!

1911Luvr
07-21-2010, 4:24 PM
They had them at Turner's some years back, complete with the threaded barrel and the H&K kit. The only thing missing from the kit was the silencer for which there was an empty space it the plastic carry kit. They weren't that expensive if I remember correctly- cheaper than a high-end 1911, but they were still legal at the time. I actually had the money then too, so I feel really stupid for not picking one up when I had the chance. You snooze...

CA Gun Laws Suck
07-21-2010, 5:07 PM
They go for about $2,000 which isn't too bad. I got to shoot one with a can and must say I loved it!

michaelh
07-21-2010, 5:25 PM
Yeah. I would love to own one eventually. Thanks for the info!

The pistol is definitely huge. It's understandable why people prefer the USP Tactical over the MK23.

eccvets
07-21-2010, 7:12 PM
Yeah. I would love to own one eventually. Thanks for the info!

The pistol is definitely huge. It's understandable why people prefer the USP Tactical over the MK23.

It is quite a bit larger then a usp tactial but to be honest it really isnt that hard to handle. I wear #7 1/2 surgical gloves or medium where ever else and I can easily hold the gun. I actually perfer it to the tatical to be honest.

eccvets
07-21-2010, 7:15 PM
they can still be had, just find a friendly leo and get it off him but first ya gotta buy another barrel and shave/cut the threads off it and then get some 10 round mags. fin Oh the barrel will cost ya about 350ish and the mags will run ya about 55-75 bucks a peice.

They had them at Turner's some years back, complete with the threaded barrel and the H&K kit. The only thing missing from the kit was the silencer for which there was an empty space it the plastic carry kit. They weren't that expensive if I remember correctly- cheaper than a high-end 1911, but they were still legal at the time. I actually had the money then too, so I feel really stupid for not picking one up when I had the chance. You snooze...

michaelh
07-22-2010, 6:46 AM
Seems like it's quite an investment to own one of these! I don't know if I can remove the threads off of a barrel without sheading a tear.

Are companies still making light models specific to the MK23? I've seen light modules from both Wilcox and Streamlight.

DerGlock
07-22-2010, 9:09 PM
Rettings in Los Angeles has one for sale for $1700!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180287724

Only problem is that they wont sell to CA ofcourse

michaelh
07-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Haha that's too bad...

michaelh
07-23-2010, 8:36 AM
Nice. How much did that set you back?

eccvets
07-23-2010, 9:26 AM
$1200~something from Turners.. LD gave me a Mil/LE discount on the laser/light combo.. put that on there for my wife to practice low light and see if she wanted either or both for duty..

the 45 USPexpert is the kind shooter.. check out the gouge on them if you're interested..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46828&d=1266827188

ouch, with that kinda price you could get at least a usp tactical... how far is your target?

faterikcartman
07-23-2010, 9:41 AM
So is it illegal now to even do a PPT of one with a threaded barrel?

Or what about buying from an FFL in California who already has one in the state?

michaelh
07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
The MK23 is DEFINITELY more massive, but I suppose the weight does help with the recoil. I mean, the pistol was meant to shoot 30,000+ rounds of +P!

Recoil management on a USP isn't too bad anyway.

Oregonish
07-23-2010, 1:01 PM
So is it illegal now to even do a PPT of one with a threaded barrel?

Or what about buying from an FFL in California who already has one in the state?

A Mark23 is an off-roster handgun, which means unless your a LEO, you can not buy it in this state new from an FFL, unless you buy it PPT from someone that has one, LEO or civilian doesn't matter, and resides in this state.

Yes, a threaded barrel on a pistol is an AW in this state unless your a LEO. So, to complete a PPT, you would have to have a NON-threaded barrel, prior to the transfer.

HkFan416
07-23-2010, 2:46 PM
close cousin.. pick 'em up all day long here..

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46827&d=1266827176

Nice pistol and groupings man, how do you like the LDI light/laser combo? I want one sooooo bad.

faterikcartman
07-23-2010, 3:10 PM
A Mark23 is an off-roster handgun, which means unless your a LEO, you can not buy it in this state new from an FFL, unless you buy it PPT from someone that has one, LEO or civilian doesn't matter, and resides in this state.

Yes, a threaded barrel on a pistol is an AW in this state unless your a LEO. So, to complete a PPT, you would have to have a NON-threaded barrel, prior to the transfer.

What about used from an FFL?

Can the threaded barrel still transfer, or do you have to leave it with the owner and buy it without (and then use your unthreaded barrel), or can you buy it with it but sub the unthreaded barrel before you take it home?

Thanks, by the way.

HkFan416
07-23-2010, 3:31 PM
What about used from an FFL?

Can the threaded barrel still transfer, or do you have to leave it with the owner and buy it without (and then use your unthreaded barrel), or can you buy it with it but sub the unthreaded barrel before you take it home?

Thanks, by the way.

Unless the FFL has one on consignment without the threaded barrel or a dethreaded barrel, that would be a NO.

eccvets
07-24-2010, 1:45 AM
dude, you are the woman in the relationship if you can't get a mk23 from your lover! seriously, she has you on a short leash!

As for the drop in barrels, they are availble for $350.

thank you.. the expert makes it look too easy..

the LDI is a great fit for the proprietary rail and muzzle length for starters..

the wife (detective) and I both enjoy it.. holds great aim and real easy to shoot.. balances well even with diminishing magazine weight.. several family and friend first-time shooters manage successful groups from it with little practice.. and the C4 LED brings a little piece of the sun to the party..

recoil is unexpectedly light for a polymer .45.. trigger has a little too much take-up for my taste but breaks nicely.. there's a lot more adjustability I haven't even explored yet..

for the price I have to say its "wow" factor approaches that of my M82A1.. proportionately of course..

nay-sayers aside it quenches the high-end HK thirst.. although I would like nothing more than to own a MK23.. the whole TB issue is too slickery for me.. and since they are non-standard barrel lengths.. I'm not sure there is a drop-in replacement.. as far a LE transfer oportunities.. I'm married to one.. still not aware of it being that easy.. and I'm not even about to butcher one for the exception.. that's not how I roll.. so to speak..

too bad we're not closer.. anyone's welcome to run her at the range anytime..

DerGlock
07-24-2010, 11:26 AM

I don't think LEOs are exempt from the non-threaded barrel rquirement.

HkFan416
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't think LEOs are exempt from the non-threaded barrel rquirement.

They are if they get a department letterhead ;)