PDA

View Full Version : Magpul re-builds

calibanman
07-20-2010, 11:11 PM
What parts do pmags share with standard 30 round mags?

stitchnicklas
07-20-2010, 11:30 PM
good question,magpul is coming out with a 10rd pmag in a 30rd housing this year,midway is advertising them for 12 something

69Mach1
07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
springs.

norcal.xd
07-21-2010, 12:54 PM
i have a 10/30 pmag.....i dont know the answer you want to know but i wanted to let you know that i got my built from calegalmag.com they advertise on this website. i think it was like $23 onsale (i dont really remember) but the shipping was really quick something like 2-3 days.......

AlliedArmory
07-21-2010, 1:01 PM
None of the parts are compatible with USGI mags other than maybe the springs.

Sniper3142
07-21-2010, 3:15 PM
The springs from a standard USGI metal magazine are compatible with a Magpul PMag.

I know this for a fact since I've converted several of mine.

Redlinegts
07-21-2010, 6:36 PM
I'm guessing you want to rebuild one of your pre-ban magazines with a pmag? You can assemble an entire pmag to replace your existing pre-ban. or get a 10/30 Pmag
http://riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/621.jpg
http://riflegear.com/p-621-magpul-pmag-10-round-30-body-magazine-223556mm.aspx

UserM4
07-21-2010, 6:51 PM
Are the followers compatible?

Bruce3
07-21-2010, 7:00 PM
30 rounds of .223/5.56 :p but like others have said you can replace your old preban with all new pieces.

calibanman
07-21-2010, 8:13 PM
I'm guessing you want to rebuild one of your pre-ban magazines with a pmag? You can assemble an entire pmag to replace your existing pre-ban. or get a 10/30 Pmag
http://riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/621.jpg
http://riflegear.com/p-621-magpul-pmag-10-round-30-body-magazine-223556mm.aspx

Yes you are correct, some of my pre 2000 30's are getting long in the tooth and I am thinking about re-building them. but I'm such a worry wart that I would like to at least have one original part in the new pmag if possible. Looks like the spring is the common factor.

Redlinegts
07-21-2010, 8:47 PM
Yes you are correct, some of my pre 2000 30's are getting long in the tooth and I am thinking about re-building them. but I'm such a worry wart that I would like to at least have one original part in the new pmag if possible. Looks like the spring is the common factor.

You don't have to do that, you can replace all the parts with a brand new PMAG. I would keep your prebans and replace them with an equal number of PMAGS to avoid any trouble. Then you will have 2x the amount of magazines :)

lawaia
07-22-2010, 8:14 AM
I would keep your prebans and replace them with an equal number of PMAGS to avoid any trouble. Then you will have 2x the amount of magazines :)

:eek: I think you had better re-read the Calguns Wiki on Large Capacity Magazines. Then read it again..............and again. What you are suggesting is manufacturing large capacity magazines. When rebuilding large capacity magazines, you cannot end up with any more magazines than you had originally.

evidens83
07-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Replace an entire preban with a Magpul rebuild. One for one.

Redlinegts
07-22-2010, 9:59 PM
:eek: I think you had better re-read the Calguns Wiki on Large Capacity Magazines. Then read it again..............and again. What you are suggesting is manufacturing large capacity magazines. When rebuilding large capacity magazines, you cannot end up with any more magazines than you had originally.

I didn't say that...if he rebuilds the magazines with a PMAG, he will end up with 2x what he started out with...simple math...

Freebird
07-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I didn't say that...if he rebuilds the magazines with a PMAG, he will end up with 2x what he started out with...simple math...

I don't think anyone is following you...

Redlinegts
07-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Ok I'm wrong.

sevensix2x51
07-23-2010, 4:42 AM
if youre super-duper worried, you could always dremel out the date stamps on your usgi mags and epoxy it to the pmag. but i didnt do anything like that. i replaced my old mag bodies with new usgi ones, and havent thought twice about the new date stamps... i did destroy the old, worn out parts.

Omega13device
07-23-2010, 9:19 AM
Let's say he has 10 pre-bans. He builds 10 PMAGS to repair his 10 pre-bans. So now in total, he has 20 magazines...2x10 = 20
I would still keep the old magazines as proof which is why I count them as mags.

EDIT: You could disassemble them if you really wanted to, I guess, I just don't see anything wrong with having pre-bans assembled as proof that you repaired them all with PMAGS
Um, no. You can keep the disassembled parts from your old mags. Not fully assembled mags.

If you keep the original 10 mags fully assembled, and then assemble 10 new mags, you've committed a felony.

lawaia
07-23-2010, 9:30 AM

Well, your simple math will get you a felony charge! What don't you understand about NOT ending up with more mags than you started with? It doesn't matter if they are hidden away under your mattress, or in your closet, or under the rug. You still possess them. They are still magazines.

Please do not ever give advice again on this subject. You are totally off base, and your advice could land someone in hot water.

Fate
07-23-2010, 4:24 PM
Let's say he has 10 pre-bans. He builds 10 PMAGS to repair his 10 pre-bans. So now in total, he has 20 magazines...2x10 = 20
I would still keep the old magazines as proof which is why I count them as mags.

EDIT: You could disassemble them if you really wanted to, I guess, I just don't see anything wrong with having pre-bans assembled as proof that you repaired them all with PMAGS

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:G_P0-egTdotwkM:http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/ploppyseed/YouFail_001.jpg

Sniper3142
07-23-2010, 6:37 PM
Well, your simple math will get you a felony charge! What don't you understand about NOT ending up with more mags than you started with? It doesn't matter if they are hidden away under your mattress, or in your closet, or under the rug. You still possess them. They are still magazines.

Please do not ever give advice again on this subject. You are totally off base, and your advice could land someone in hot water.

^ THIS!

To the OP...

Please DO NOT listen to the horribly wrong advice posted by Redlinegts!! Doing what he says will be a Felony (increasing the number of Large Capacity magazines in your possssion).

:mad:

stitchnicklas
07-23-2010, 7:03 PM
Redlinegts...seriously??? why would you try to tell someone here to commit a felony???

not worth it at all...........bad advice

Redlinegts
07-23-2010, 8:18 PM
ok fine, I'm wrong. I will try to not dispense ****ty information again. I hate this state enough as it is and thought this was ok. I should've remembered that we live in California and regular reasoning doesn't factor into the laws that are made.

rromeo
07-23-2010, 8:33 PM
You can keep your old magazines as proof, but they need to be disassembled.

calibanman
07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I had always planed on keeping any of my replaced old mags the range bag in kit form to show that I did have pre-bans to start with. But I thought I'd go that extra step and keep at least one original part from the GI mag in the new Pmags. From one of your post I think the spring will be the common part.

thayne
07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Construction, importation, etc wouldnt always be a felony. Its a wobbler. it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions