PDA

View Full Version : Hunter safety certificate

rgs1975
07-20-2010, 9:19 PM
I took the hunter safety course eons ago when I was a kid. I haven't had my certificate saying I've completed the course in I can't remember how long. It's never been a problem because I just show my previous years license to get my current year license.

Doing some hunting in NV this year though and they say they need proof that I completed the course. The CA hunting license is not proof for them.

Do you know if DFG or some other agency would have old records and could send me a copy of my completion?

thevic
07-20-2010, 9:48 PM
i think so..these certs have serial numbers.

call them and ask since they are the ones who hand out the certs

taperxz
07-21-2010, 4:58 PM
I think you may have to take the course again. I have always told people when they get there hunter safety card to keep it in the gun safe!! If you took it along time ago i doubt F&G is going to be willing to go into the archives to find it for you.

Take the course and put the card in the safe for the rest of your life! G/L in Nevada

AAShooter
07-21-2010, 5:10 PM
DFG may or may not have a record of it depending on time frame. If you can find the original instructor or who took over for him, they may be able to look up the records and reissue a certificate. Otherwise, plan on taking it again . . . it happens all the time.

Fortunately, current certificates will be entered in the DFG database so future replacements will be easier.

rgs1975
07-22-2010, 9:29 AM
Just got off the phone with DFG and they had me on file. $5.25 via CC and it's on it's way to me in the mail. Good times :)

WTSGDYBBR
07-22-2010, 9:31 AM
My understanding you can fill out a Affidavit if you lost it and its to old.

pdq_wizzard
07-22-2010, 10:06 AM
My understanding you can fill out a Affidavit if you lost it and its to old.

Not for most out of state hunts :(

ghostrider
07-22-2010, 3:54 PM
Just called the DFG and was told that their data base only goes back to 1989
Guess i have to take the course over to get a certificate to hunt out of state

CSACANNONEER
07-22-2010, 4:00 PM
I just found my cert. from 1977! I guess being a pack rat can come in useful.

pdq_wizzard
07-22-2010, 9:20 PM

it might not be such a bad thing, I lost my cert. from 1983 and just took it again this year, it was a good day. I liked seeing the kids there with there Dads :D

AAShooter
07-23-2010, 6:05 AM

I think I mentioned this before. If you can locate the original instructor records, they can issue a replacement. Often they are passed down to the instructors that take over the program. Some gun clubs, for example, have decades of records from the classes taught at their facility.