PDA

View Full Version : New iPad

XDRoX
07-20-2010, 8:36 PM
First post from my new iPad:D
Been wanting one for a while, finally got around to making it down to the apple store today and got one. I called 3 apple stores and only 1 said they had some. They only had 32 and 64 gig ones so I got a 32. I only wanted it to go online with and mess around with so I wanted the 16GB but whatever, it wasn't that much more.

Been playing on it for a few hours now and have to say, it's pretty cool.

Of course a laptop does everything and much more, but this thing is so convenient and cool. Love chilling in the backyard and surfing on calguns:D

For the record I hate apple computers and am a PC guy, but I have always enjoyed iPods. I've owned over 10 of them, but this iPad is by far the coolest one yet.

Just wanted to share my joy about this cool new toy.

And it seems very fast so far. The WiFi works great and I messed around with the 3G a little bit which also worked well.

whobob
07-20-2010, 8:59 PM
iPad is the netbook/laptop killer. 30 days standby and I go on a whole work day w/o a single charge.

bigmike82
07-20-2010, 9:06 PM
"iPad is the netbook/laptop killer."
Not a chance.

patriot_man
07-20-2010, 9:23 PM
iPad is the netbook/laptop killer. 30 days standby and I go on a whole work day w/o a single charge.

:rofl: depends on what you use a laptop for.

We Are Apocalypse
07-20-2010, 9:33 PM
"iPad is the netbook/laptop killer."
Not a chance.

Not yet, but as technology advances, it wouldn't surprise me.

Hoologan
07-20-2010, 9:37 PM
Thank you for contributing to my future kids college fund. AAPL went up about $15/share today. :D

SupermotoChick
07-20-2010, 9:44 PM
iPads are pretty cool but reading anything on em kills my eyes. And I'm an ex iPhone fan girl!

I just picked up a Kindle and man... is it awesome. :) Glad you like your iPad, though!

XDRoX
07-20-2010, 10:05 PM
iPads are pretty cool but reading anything on em kills my eyes. And I'm an ex iPhone fan girl!

I just picked up a Kindle and man... is it awesome. :) Glad you like your iPad, though!

My mom has a kindle. Man, it's like reading an etch a sketch! So easy on the eyes it's amazing. I'm not much into reading, just like gadgets I guess.

whobob
07-21-2010, 7:23 PM
I'm able to teach the kids how to play the piano, read a book to them or have the audiobook do the reading. Apps only get better.

turbogg
07-21-2010, 8:17 PM
Congrats on the iPad purchase. I've had a chance to check a friend's iPad, and it is very cool. If it had DVD/Blue Ray player built in, that would make it perfect IMHO

Satex
07-21-2010, 9:18 PM
http://www.layscience.net/files/ipad.jpg

Satex
07-21-2010, 9:23 PM

Since I started using an iPhone I have started understanding the convenience of light weight, light duty email/web machine. I find that most of my leisure time computer usage is surfing and emailing - and the iPhone iPad make it phenomenally easy to do. Yes, a laptop will still outperform any of those but is less convenient too. I suspect that for many people, the iPad will be the netbook killer - since that's really what netbooks were designed for, but there is still quite a time before we can declare the laptop obsolete.

whobob
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM
All these microsoft junkies out that will never admit defeat. Nothing on the market can compete with the iPad. People will say it's not convient, no keyboard, or expandable memory(USB/sd card). I have a solution for all of those mention. File transfer can be done wireless and keyboard can be Bluetooth.

2 million iPad in 2 months. I'm going to say those 2 millions are for developers, so the support is there. As long as the support is there, it will be around.

jmlivingston
07-24-2010, 9:08 PM
My mom has a kindle. Man, it's like reading an etch a sketch! So easy on the eyes it's amazing. I'm not much into reading, just like gadgets I guess.

Both my wife and I have the "nook" from Barnes & Noble. Can't say enough about how easy on the eyes it is. It's almost a struggle to pick up a real paper book anymore, at least for novels (non-research) reading.

vahtryn
07-31-2010, 2:41 PM
I personally believe that the iPad will change how computers are used in the long run. More and more applications that people rely on are moving away from desk top installs and out into web 2.0 space. I have been stating this for over a decade during the initial "arms" race between AMD and intel. I also believe that the "uber" desktop computer should go away completely for home and office use except for specific applications, such as a home music studio, but a laptop can do most of that.

I bought an iPad as an experiment to see if it could truly replace my laptop and my desk top. So far it has taken a lot of their responsibilities. It's perfect for a ton of things that normally I'd bust out a laptop for. Quick checks for network stability, reading ebooks, reading online comics, checking my RSS feeds, watching videos on the internet, sending email. The list goes on and on. I simply love this device the more I use it.

I had a work trip to Hong Kong after I bought mine. I didn't even bother to bring my laptop because I had already set up the iPad to access my VPN. I did bring an ethernet to wireless adaptor incase the hotel didn't have wireless, which it didn't, and I could do everything I needed to do. And this is coming from someone that was managing 1200 virtual machines and about 4000 servers world wide.

Computing is changing, and it's changing fast. While the iPad might not be the best option for everyone, due to price or what ever, it is the fastest growing platform in this market.

I do wish there were more open standards on it, and eventually apple will see that applying them across the board will be a good thing. The down side is every other vendor out there will have to as well. If say android, which is just linux, and iOS4, which is BSD based, could just utilize the same concepts and standards there wouldn't be much of a reason for this not to happen.

luvtolean
07-31-2010, 3:36 PM
Apple's war on flash and lack of HP to run it is a decided knock against the device at this stage in the game (HTML 5 retorts aside, you need flash for some sites still) and leaves a crack in the market others will be exploiting.

Apple is not changing anything, tablets are an old idea whose time is just arriving. This device stands at the convergence of cloud computing, enhanced Wi-Fi access and maybe someday a decent wireless network (hello AT&T, is this thing on?) and semiconductor advances (mostly in packaging). This is the result of advances across the whole industry. We still could really use a step ahead in battery power density/cost to really make the tablet segment run.

Every serious computer AND cell phone company is working on a competitor. There's going to be blood in the streets on this one, and likely Apple will not own the segment real long. But iSuppli has been hiking forecasts, and they're certainly enjoying the just desserts of being firstest with the mostest right now!

...and my iPhone 4, sucks. Pretty cool web surfing toy though.

vahtryn
07-31-2010, 4:07 PM
Honestly I believe flash should die a horrible and painfully slow death. It's not a standard. I remember when it came out and on my linux or solaris desk tops I couldn't use it. I tend to avoid most sites that have it or just block it out all together.

With the advent of AJAX and now HTML5, which are both standards, why use something that isn't a standard? I can't honestly think of one web site that I go to that uses flash anymore. Everyone is moving forward. Boo-hoo to adobe, but they have other products to keep them afloat until GIMP overtakes photoshop :p

I don't believe the iPad is a tablet at all. It's more of a MID than anything else. It's a device to access data and used to become productive on the cloud. Those tablets in the late 90s and early 2000s are the ancestors. Much like dinosaurs are to birds and reptiles today.

luvtolean
07-31-2010, 4:15 PM
Apple's elitism has never stopped at practical realities, or the need to re-write history...

So while they wage this battle, far more open (and security conscious) Android devices, or who knows, maybe even MS or PalmOS based, will probably quietly overtake them and win the war.

I just wish his Steveness would quit blaming how I hold my phone and fix the f'in antenna.

EDIT: BTW, I hear ya on Adobe in general and GIMP (and for that matter on Reader and FoxIt!). I have an old version of Photoshop on my work computers I use pretty frequently, but I haven't had the need to pay for it at home. I just wish the GIMP level correction and unsharp mask tools worked as good as Photoshop's!