PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce NXS or Trijicon AccuPoint in 1-4x?

santacruzstefan
07-20-2010, 8:09 PM
So after much research into scopes for my AR, its come down to this... either a NXS w/ the NP-1 reticule or an AccuPoint, in amber w/ german #4. All things considered, which do you think is best? Price is a factor, for sure, but the difference isn't too extreme for it to matter that much.

esskay
07-20-2010, 8:45 PM
What is your intended use?

shooting4life
07-20-2010, 9:33 PM
I have a good scope for sale. See sig

Bongos
07-20-2010, 9:37 PM
Nightforce hands down! I have owned (still do) US Optics, NightForce, Trijicon, Leupold, plus others and if the choice between the NXS and Trijicon, I would go with the NXS, clarity and quality at refined. Trijicons are excellent if it was an ACOG, the scopes never did it for me.

patriot_man
07-20-2010, 9:50 PM
Depends on what kind of shooting you plan to do.

hp95125
07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I didn't try the nightforce but have the trijicon (TR24) and I like it. eye relief could be better but it works for me. my favorite optic for AR. I use trijicon (made by bobro) extended mount so I can mount it together with my folding troy BUIS. I went with the Triangle Reticle, find it much cleaner, but it's a personal preference.

Solidsnake87
07-20-2010, 11:24 PM
If you are considering those two then its nightforce all the way! WAY more scope for the money. They are also guaranteed to track well.

santacruzstefan
07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
If you are considering those two then its nightforce all the way! WAY more scope for the money. They are also guaranteed to track well.

Nightforce hands down! I have owned (still do) US Optics, NightForce, Trijicon, Leupold, plus others and if the choice between the NXS and Trijicon, I would go with the NXS, clarity and quality at refined. Trijicons are excellent if it was an ACOG, the scopes never did it for me.

Well, that about settles it then, sounds like Nightforce is the best bet. I'll mainly be using it as a bench gun, but since it is thus far my only AR, it will fill multiple roles... I've even thought about getting into 3-gun once I get back in shape, so it could be used for that, too. I did like the idea of tritium/ fiber optics allowing for continuous use without batteries, but I didn't like most of the reticules on the AccuPoints... the german #4 seemed to be the best bet. And I had been eyeing a TA31F, but I think I'd be better served with a low variable powered, so I can sort of use it like a red dot (I know, none of them are really true 1x, but close enough).

Now, as far as mounts are concerned... will something like the Larue LT-104 work well with it, or an American Defense, Bobro, GG&G...? Ideally, something that will clear my Troy BUIS, like hp95125 mentioned above.

santacruzstefan
07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a good scope for sale. See sig

Nice scope, good luck with the sale but a bit too large for what I'm looking for.

esskay
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, that about settles it then, sounds like Nightforce is the best bet. I'll mainly be using it as a bench gun, but since it is thus far my only AR, it will fill multiple roles... I've even thought about getting into 3-gun once I get back in shape, so it could be used for that, too. I did like the idea of tritium/ fiber optics allowing for continuous use without batteries, but I didn't like most of the reticules on the AccuPoints... the german #4 seemed to be the best bet. And I had been eyeing a TA31F, but I think I'd be better served with a low variable powered, so I can sort of use it like a red dot (I know, none of them are really true 1x, but close enough).

Now, as far as mounts are concerned... will something like the Larue LT-104 work well with it, or an American Defense, Bobro, GG&G...? Ideally, something that will clear my Troy BUIS, like hp95125 mentioned above.

From the bench, the Nightforce should be awesome. But keep in mind that its reticle is not daytime visible.

You mentioned (1) 3-gun and (2) "use it like a red dot"

For these two applications... for #2 you absolutely need a brightly illuminated reticle and for #1 you may not "need" it but you're better off with it.

So keep that in mind... Great for your primary use (bench) but not suitable for the other two.

santacruzstefan
07-21-2010, 12:31 AM
From the bench, the Nightforce should be awesome. But keep in mind that its reticle is not daytime visible.

You mentioned (1) 3-gun and (2) "use it like a red dot"

For these two applications... for #2 you absolutely need a brightly illuminated reticle and for #1 you may not "need" it but you're better off with it.

So keep that in mind... Great for your primary use (bench) but not suitable for the other two.

Hmm, well then would the AccuPoint be better served for all three of these roles? I mean, I probably wouldn't even need the illumination in the daytime anyway, but I suppose you never know; I've only ever used red dots and non-illuminated scopes. I just hate the reticules on the TR24's, but german #4 isn't too bad.

esskay
07-21-2010, 1:16 AM
Hmm, well then would the AccuPoint be better served for all three of these roles? I mean, I probably wouldn't even need the illumination in the daytime anyway, but I suppose you never know; I've only ever used red dots and non-illuminated scopes. I just hate the reticules on the TR24's, but german #4 isn't too bad.

I just looked at the NP-1 reticle that you're interested in. It doesn't have ranging or hold over capability, so were you planning to dial your elevation? I honestly would pick the Accupoint with what you've said so far, given your desire to have flexibility to shoot 3-gun with the optic & to function as a psuedo-red dot. The triangle reticle is quicker and almost (or just) as fast as a red dot, but it makes hold overs more difficult (but it doesn't seem like that is a priority for you though). The German is a little slower as the illuminated dot is smaller, but it does provide the cross hair design and it's really not that far off from the NP-1 reticle that you prefer.

There are guys winning 3-gun matches with Accupoints, so it's a strong optic choice for running & gunning as well as shooting out to 300-400 yds.

As an aside, I personally run a Meopta K-Dot for 3-gun, and it's great for that. I think it's one of the best at 1x with a super bright reticle, and the reticle works very well for holdovers.

Not knocking Nightforce, they make nice stuff -- if you hadn't mentioned 3-gun and red dot, I would have just shut up! But I look to them more for precision rigs... and I'd be more interested in one of their ballistic reticles for that.

santacruzstefan
07-21-2010, 1:27 AM
Well, I really just said NP-1 because I found a killer deal on one that had that particular reticle. Its does seem somewhat thin, though. And I'm not too keen on the triangle on the accupoints, but I've never used one. Plus, I've heard that the amber in the #4 is easier to pick up than the red, and doesn't wash out as much (this according to trijicon). Keep in mind that I don't do 3-gun yet; I just don't want to have to buy another optic if I do, you know what I mean? But I guess it comes down to the fact that there isn't one scope that'll do everything.

patriot_man
07-21-2010, 1:28 AM
Keep in mind the Nightforce reticle is not bright and only intended for dawn/ dusk/ night illumination. The TR-24 on the other hand burns bright anytime of the day.

esskay
07-21-2010, 1:42 AM
Well, I really just said NP-1 because I found a killer deal on one that had that particular reticle. Its does seem somewhat thin, though. And I'm not too keen on the triangle on the accupoints, but I've never used one. Plus, I've heard that the amber in the #4 is easier to pick up than the red, and doesn't wash out as much (this according to trijicon). Keep in mind that I don't do 3-gun yet; I just don't want to have to buy another optic if I do, you know what I mean? But I guess it comes down to the fact that there isn't one scope that'll do everything.

That is the one truism of optics!!! My Meopta is great for 3-gun/etc but wouldn't be my first choice to take into combat!

The NP-1 reticle doesn't really appeal to me much because it doesn't provide too much utility beyond a nice precise cross hair...

If you can get hands on, that's best, might help sway you!

santacruzstefan
07-21-2010, 1:48 AM
That is the one truism of optics!!! My Meopta is great for 3-gun/etc but wouldn't be my first choice to take into combat!

The NP-1 reticle doesn't really appeal to me much because it doesn't provide too much utility beyond a nice precise cross hair...

If you can get hands on, that's best, might help sway you!

I agree, it'd be great to see them side-by-side. If the Nightforce had their mildot reticle, I think it would win, but the cheaper price of the AccuPoint, combined with its battery-less operation/ better daytime illumination might have swayed me. I wonder if they make a mildot 1-4x? I know I've seen it in some of their higher powered scopes.

patriot_man
07-21-2010, 1:50 AM
I agree, it'd be great to see them side-by-side. If the Nightforce had their mildot reticle, I think it would win, but the cheaper price of the AccuPoint, combined with its battery-less operation/ better daytime illumination might have swayed me. I wonder if they make a mildot 1-4x? I know I've seen it in some of their higher powered scopes.

Mil Dot is offered.

Bongos
07-21-2010, 7:04 AM
Another consideration is the US Optics SN-4s, after reading these post, I think your geared towards closer targets (less than 200 yards). I would look at the ACOG TA33 at 3X(used for less than $700). Another option is to get a short range like the ACOG mention and then get a Nikon Bushmaster (used is less than $200) with mildots (4.5-14X) attached to PERP ($70).

esskay
07-21-2010, 9:38 AM

Yes Accupoints come in mil dot reticles but unfortunately not in the 1-4x versions.

santacruzstefan
07-22-2010, 5:51 PM
What about an ACOG? I have no experience with them, but I hear good things about the TA11 series. Thoughts/ experience?

patriot_man
07-23-2010, 3:11 AM
From what I've heard the TA11s have great eye relief. I've only used a TA31 and the glass is good. Although the glass is not on par with nightforce. US optics SN-4s might also interest you glass is better then nightforce IMO.

Stringer
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Two things:

1. I'm a huge NF fan, but IMO NF glass totally sucks compared to some others that were mentioned in this thread. I love NF because of their ruggedness and their reliable, precise tracking. When people talk about NF having great clarity, contrast, and edge-to-edge brightness, it makes me doubt they've ever owned or used one. If you are at all interested in brightness and clarity, Trijicon, Meopta, and USO all beat NF by a mile.

The thing is, glass quality is a hugely overrated characteristic of a gun sight. A scope exists to make hits. Scopes are not used to take postcard pictures.

2. Esskay sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has given a ton of practical, experienced advice in this thread.

patriot_man
07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Two things:

1. I'm a huge NF fan, but IMO NF glass totally sucks compared to some others that were mentioned in this thread. I love NF because of their ruggedness and their reliable, precise tracking. When people talk about NF having great clarity, contrast, and edge-to-edge brightness, it makes me doubt they've ever owned or used one. If you are at all interested in brightness and clarity, Trijicon, Meopta, and USO all beat NF by a mile.

The thing is, glass quality is a hugely overrated characteristic of a gun sight. A scope exists to make hits. Scopes are not used to take postcard pictures.

2. Esskay sounds like he knows what he's talking about and has given a ton of practical, experienced advice in this thread.

USO has great glass (don't burn me for this) and consider it to be on par with S&B and from what I've been told by their sales rep their SN-4S is a true 1x unlike Accupoints and 1-4 NXS. From my experience Nightforce has better glass then Trijicon but it is nowhere close to Zeiss or Swarovski or S&B. But like stringer says repeatability/durability should far outwiegh glass quality in one's decision making and Nightforce fits that description.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d62/jwp475/NightforceAK-47.jpg

Nightforce used overseas was shot with a 7.62 and still functions.

erryrainey
07-23-2010, 8:33 PM
I have both a Trijicon Accupoint TR-24 and a Nightforce F1 3.5X15. If you are mainly bench rest shooting get the Nightforce...And if you ever get into 3 gun competitions get a JP Short range iron sights at 45 degree on the rail. Just my opinion.

hp95125
08-02-2010, 12:20 AM
I am liking the TR24 with triangle reticle more and more every time I go to the range. I also own a Eotech EXPS with a x3 flip-to-side magnifier but don't use them as much. I also can not mount them and keep the troy BUIS since the magnifier has to be mounted very far back, right on top of the charging handle.

The TR24 in 1X magnification works great as a two eyes open, short range red dot type scope. while bigger than a red dot, it is a triangle and you can use it's tip for finer targeting. it can also be as bright as you want - it has an adjustable window and if you open it all the way up in daylight it is super bright.

It is also great for bench shooting - I can easily do 2 MOA 10-round groupings with a 16" carbine and cheap Russian ammo at 100 yards, at 4X magnification.

I wouldn't get a scope with a crosshair reticle, with our without mildot, for 3-gun or short range (100 yards or less). I personally wouldn't get it at all for a 16" barrel AR-15. This is a carbine, not a precision rifle. Save the nice 10X scopes and mildot reticles for rifles that will be used mainly at over 100 yards with calibers that have better ballistics than 223.

my 2c.