PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question-Advice on buying

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 6:41 PM
Hey guys,

I found a private party 1911 that I want. Looked at his I trader...it's "ok". He's in state, going to ship to my FFL but I have a few questions:

1) What is the protocol for paying shipping etc. Is gifting through paypal...acceptable? If I pay and doesnt ship, am i screwed?

2) What if it's not as described? My ffl says that something is not right?

Any other heads up, will be appreciated...

I've always bought guns through a shop, but in LA, nice stuff at a reasonable price is hard to find....

THANKS !!!!!

bjl333
07-20-2010, 7:09 PM
I always paid by USPS Money Order for everything I buy here. If the member's been around for a while then I guess it would be alright. That said I've never had stuff shipped to me costing more then 3-400 bucks.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 7:12 PM
If you use paypal and your seller does not come through you are not left out in the wind. You can file a claim with paypal and they can usually do something to help you, if not get your money back. sounds like a risk either way you cut it. If you want to know if gifting through paypal is acceptable just ask the seller if he will accept it.

bjl333
07-20-2010, 7:17 PM
If you use paypal and your seller does not come through you are not left out in the wind. You can file a claim with paypal and they can usually do something to help you, if not get your money back. sounds like a risk either way you cut it. If you want to know if gifting through paypal is acceptable just ask the seller if he will accept it.

But do Paypal insure FIREARMS ??? Being the antigunners they are !!!

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 7:19 PM
that's what he asked for, but i'm not sure if Ebay would help me, since it was a gift? I'm just not sure, I shot him over a few questions, if in doubt, I'll just wait for something local and FTF

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 7:20 PM
But do Paypal insure FIREARMS ??? Being the antigunners they are !!!

They don't insure products, they investigate fraud if it has occurred. I would list your payment as funds paid for a product or service. I don't know how they would look at something listed as a "gift" if you do need to file a claim.

GrinderCB
07-20-2010, 7:21 PM
Ummm...we really don't like Paypal here. They have significant anti-gun policies. If no other method can be found or agreed upon and you decide it's your only option, make no mention of a gun or gun parts. As far as shipping, that's up to the agreement between you and the seller.

If you have reservations about the seller but still want to do business, ask him for a written bill of sale specifying terms of return or refund if the gun is damaged, unusable, requires significant repairs, etc, anything that could be a problem. Doesn't have to be a formal contract, could even be a hard copy of emails exchanged between the two of you.

Go with your gut. Don't get so attached to a gun you haven't yet bought that you make a bad business decision. There's always time to shop a while longer and get something else.

Lastly, check and see if he's a CalGunner. The community here is pretty solid and if he's a good guy to deal with the regulars here are happy to let you know. We won't flame a bad seller, but we play up the trustworthy ones.

b00gym4n
07-20-2010, 7:27 PM
I mean if he's 100% trusted I would send him a money order, but if you're unsure try using gunpal or paypal.

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 7:28 PM
he's a calgunner, if he wasnt I probably wouldnt even consider it. I'm pick, I'm sure we all are, about my pieces, and I want to make sure...

For my own knowledge: Is it too much to ask someone to send it to an FFL and "then" send payment. This is involving a licensed third party. The FFL obviously wont let me rip off the guy by taking it home the same day, I'm protected by seeing the gun and examining it. If not, then I can send it back to him and just reimburse him for the shipping to and back.... WOULD YOU GUYS DO THIS??

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 7:30 PM
BTW: The FFL I would use is Fort Courage Armory, they're here on CALGUNS also!

paul0660
07-20-2010, 7:30 PM
an itrader of "ok" is far from perfect.........depending. Please clarify.

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 7:31 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=323327&highlight=kimber

here's the listing....if someone else takes it oh well....

shoupdawg
07-20-2010, 7:41 PM
Looks like he already took it. And no I wouldn't send until the seller paid up.

paul0660
07-20-2010, 7:42 PM
Agreed to the sale. Money sent and he sold it to someone else.

That from a 100% Itrader.

Troubling. Before I mail 700 bones I would like that explained.

SoCalRandy
07-20-2010, 7:42 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=323327&highlight=kimber

here's the listing....if someone else takes it oh well....

Yeah, it looks like someone already grabbed it... if you read some of the sellers feedback though, I wouldn't really consider it a bad thing.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 7:45 PM
Reading some of his ratings I definitely would be wary.

BigDaddyGuns
07-20-2010, 8:36 PM
.... And no I wouldn't send until the seller paid up.

you wouldnt send the gun or the money?

subin
07-20-2010, 8:43 PM
I would only buy local, so I can see the gun first. Unless, it is something that I really want really bad and rarely shows up for sale.

remyjoeboxer
07-20-2010, 11:22 PM
ya it seems to be sold.
FY:I don't use paypal for anything gun related. They will not protect you from what I understand. They are anti-firearms.
USPS MO is arguably the safest. If you use your debit card to purchase the USPS MO you are doubly protected by your bank and/or USPS. You have two avenues to assist your claim, if trouble happens. With USPS MO, correct me if I am wrong, but if the seller don't send, it is something like "mail fraud" isn't it? I just think you have more protection because USPS is a government entity (or do you have less protection because it is a government agency). Don't quote me on my logic though, I am not a pro here, just trying to help.
I have done this with GB.com purchases...send the MO to his FFL (give them some cash for their trouble, if they want it) and have them release the MO to the seller when he drops off the gun. Nothing wrong with enlisting more resources to your side, right?
Good luck and hope you get what you are looking for. LA and CA in general sucks when trying to get what you want for a fair price.

Notblake
07-21-2010, 12:50 AM
ya it seems to be sold.
FY:I don't use paypal for anything gun related. They will not protect you from what I understand. They are anti-firearms.
USPS MO is arguably the safest. If you use your debit card to purchase the USPS MO you are doubly protected by your bank and/or USPS. You have two avenues to assist your claim, if trouble happens. With USPS MO, correct me if I am wrong, but if the seller don't send, it is something like "mail fraud" isn't it? I just think you have more protection because USPS is a government entity (or do you have less protection because it is a government agency). Don't quote me on my logic though, I am not a pro here, just trying to help.
I have done this with GB.com purchases...send the MO to his FFL (give them some cash for their trouble, if they want it) and have them release the MO to the seller when he drops off the gun. Nothing wrong with enlisting more resources to your side, right?
Good luck and hope you get what you are looking for. LA and CA in general sucks when trying to get what you want for a fair price.

Not anymore, since like 1980-something.