PDA

View Full Version : Made the 1911 switch

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 6:02 PM
Well, I made the 1911 switch. I had a Glock 21SF and I thought it was the cats meow. Until I fired a 1911 for the first time. Well needless to say, I was sold. Speaking of sold, I sold the glock and just purchased a Springfield loaded model (black stainless steel). Ive got 10 more days til I can post some pics, but yeah, I took the plunge.

I found the glock too blocky and didnt point as well as the 1911. P.S. I have a Sig P228. I dont think I will ever go back to a polymer frame pistol again.:chris:

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 6:06 PM
Interesting. You mostly hear about people starting out with 1911s and then branching out from there. Good for you, it's a great platform.

Juice5610
07-20-2010, 6:18 PM
Interesting. You mostly hear about people starting out with 1911s and then branching out from there. Good for you, it's a great platform.

This I get my first glock G17 out of jail on thursday! I cant wait!

puropuro
07-20-2010, 6:20 PM
I think there's room enough in this world for both.
My 2 favorite pistols...... Kimber Ultra Covert II and M&P .40.....oh, and old school..S&W model 66 4". Trifecta baby!

CSACANNONEER
07-20-2010, 6:21 PM

Really? I see more newbies getting a Glock first because, they either play too many video games or just buy into all the Glock hype from other newbies. It might be a regional, economic or age thing though.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 6:23 PM
Really? I see more newbies getting a Glock first because, they either play too many video games or just buy into all the Glock hype from other newbies. It might be a regional, economic or age thing though.

Probably an age thing. Most of the shooters I know are either older or military types. Both have a natural thing for 1911s I think. You are probably right about younger new shooters.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 6:41 PM
Yeah, Im 28 so I guess it was an age/noob thing. But the thing that really sold me was the guy who shot himself in the leg with his "Glock Fortay" :laugh:

but seriously, it was after I took a real handgun class that I truly learned how to shoot. that is where I found out what I really wanted.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 6:43 PM
and as for video games, most use the M9

speedgoat
07-20-2010, 6:47 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the club. :D

I love my Springfield Loaded, but then I'm kinda old school. I like 1911's and S&W J Frames.

halon101
07-20-2010, 6:51 PM
i just traded my 92fs for a para p14 1911. i love my 1911. but kinda miss the 92.
had to have a 45. and the 1911 feels great in my hands. expcially the double stack.
glocks feel nasty in the hands and i like having a hammer.

speedgoat
07-20-2010, 6:54 PM
i like having a hammer.

Most definitely.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 6:56 PM
i just traded my 92fs for a para p14 1911. i love my 1911. but kinda miss the 92.
had to have a 45. and the 1911 feels great in my hands. expcially the double stack.

Nice pickup. If I have been able to find a Para last time I was looking for a 1911 I would have gotten one.

toopercentmlk
07-20-2010, 7:00 PM
My first handgun was a Glock 21 at the age of 22. I made the decision after roughly one year of proper practicing with a Ruger P89, and using my indoor range membership to try out any and all of their handguns they had to offer including a few different full sized 1911s and revolvers in most popular calibers. Sure I've played a number of shooters in my day but my purchase had little to do with the Glock 17 that got me out of the Black Mesa Research Facility in one piece, but because off of the reassuring faux-single-action trigger reset feeling of the to hell and back reliability and simplicity of GLOCK made non-lemon perfection handguns.

I now own a Springfield 1911. :patriot:

rabagley
07-20-2010, 7:02 PM

I started out with a Glock 17, now I have a G21, G36, and two Colt 1911's (80 38 Super and pre-70 .45 ACP match) among a few other handguns. Love them all. I've always appreciated both the classics and the modern and can't bear to part with any of them.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 7:04 PM
My first handgun was a Glock 21 at the age of 22. I made the decision after roughly one year of proper practicing with a Ruger P89, and using my indoor range membership to try out any and all of their handguns they had to offer including a few different full sized 1911s and revolvers in most popular calibers. Sure I've played a number of shooters in my day but my purchase had little to do with the Glock 17 that got me out of the Black Mesa Research Facility in one piece, but because off of the reassuring faux-single-action trigger reset feeling of the to hell and back reliability and simplicity of GLOCK made non-lemon perfection handguns.

I now own a Springfield 1911. :patriot:

lol

1911Luvr
07-20-2010, 7:10 PM
Congratulations on your Loaded Springer! I have the same gun- see my avatar. I love mine so much I'm getting the carbon steel version of the Loaded on Friday!

CA357
07-20-2010, 7:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with Glocks, they're a pretty reliable pistol. However, I'm a 1911 die hard and have owned a number of them over the years. They point naturally for me and I am more accurate with them than any other handgun. They also just feel right somehow.

That said, my first semi pistol was a G19. That was followed by an SA Mil Spec. I immediately sold the Glock to my buddy and never looked back. I'm now on my fifth 1911, a 51 year old 1927 Sistema that has gone through a complete makeover and customization. It has everything that I want in a 1911 and nothing superfluous.

You will enjoy your Springfield, it's a quality pistol. :cool:

speedgoat
07-20-2010, 7:14 PM
the Glock 17 that got me out of the Black Mesa Research Facility in one piece

I have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

:D

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 7:18 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

:D

lol Half-Life...

speedgoat
07-20-2010, 7:19 PM
lol Half-Life...

Ya think? :D

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 7:20 PM
I purchased it used from a great fellow Calgunner. it was purchased less than 2 months ago (I saw the receipts). out the door I got it for 785

shoupdawg
07-20-2010, 7:30 PM
Probably an age thing. Most of the shooters I know are either older or military types. Both have a natural thing for 1911s I think. You are probably right about younger new shooters.

Interesting. My old man (been a card carrying member of AARP for some time now) was into 1911's in the 80's. When I told him a year or so ago that I was looking at pistols, he pushed me hard towards Glocks. But I have all steel Sigs and my first wheelgun, a S&W model 10.

I guess it's the recoil sensitivity...I don't like polymer guns. But I would like to maybe own one...one day.

I'll probably inherit his 1911.

sholling
07-20-2010, 7:30 PM
Congratulations, you did good!

MA2
07-20-2010, 7:39 PM
have you tried the springfield XD, that is the closest 1911 grip angle in a polymer pistol :)

good choice on the 1911 :)

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 7:45 PM
Yeah, my buddy has an XD and he loves it. I like the trigger, but I dont know, it wasnt me I guess.

Colt
07-20-2010, 8:40 PM
But the thing that really sold me was the guy who shot himself in the leg with his "Glock Fortay" :laugh:

I think it's called "doing the Plaxico."

hkfooey
07-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Welcome to the 1911 club brother! :)

KillZone45
07-20-2010, 11:40 PM
I would buy a 1911 but until I have $2k+ Ill be sticking to my plastic fantastic's.

C.W.M.V.
07-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I love em too but its funny, my taste in guns seems to go backwards in time. I pick up my latest 1911 on Friday and I just noticed how nice the ruger new Vaquero in our case at work looks.

Notblake
07-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Well, I made the 1911 switch. I had a Glock 21SF and I thought it was the cats meow. Until I fired a 1911 for the first time. Well needless to say, I was sold. Speaking of sold, I sold the glock and just purchased a Springfield loaded model (black stainless steel). Ive got 10 more days til I can post some pics, but yeah, I took the plunge.

I found the glock too blocky and didnt point as well as the 1911. P.S. I have a Sig P228. I dont think I will ever go back to a polymer frame pistol again.:chris:

Ditto...................... that is unless we get our right to carry concealed back, then I might MIGHT get a CZ phantom, or M&P. MAYBE!

Anchors
07-21-2010, 1:12 AM
I like them both.

Libertarian777
07-21-2010, 7:20 AM
I found I liked the natural 'feel' of the Springfield XD and XDm, but polymer pistols always feel lopsided to me (slide feels heavier than the frame).

Single stack 1911's are definitely the way to go, not sure what everyone's opinion on the high caps (e.g. Para p18) is like.

rexg
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
growing up, I always used my dad's 1911 so I can actually acquire a target faster on it. However, owning both a springer operator and a glock23, I always have my glock23 loaded at night. keeps the wife happier because i always shoot low with it. she says its better to shoot the perp in the nuts than killing him.

Peter W Bush
07-21-2010, 11:35 AM

My first handgun was a 1911 match grade from the Colt custom shop when I was about 19. After that it was a Python and a GP100. All of them just felt right in my hands for some reason. On top of that, my 1911 was an absolute tack driver. So much for stereotypes

dadoody
07-21-2010, 2:45 PM

In my medium sized hand, the 1911 is a natural pointer. The glock and some sigs are too fat for comfort. I'll sacrifice the capacity for the ergonomics. I'm very very confident with my Kimber. I KNOW that I will hit what I aim to hit when I pull that trigger.

badmonkey
07-21-2010, 2:47 PM
keeps the wife happier because i always shoot low with it. she says its better to shoot the perp in the nuts than killing him.

your wife's preference is gonna get you sued :chris:;)

my first handgun was a RIA 1911. 1911's are my handgun of choice, though I do own a XD as well--i'm looking to add a nice commander length 1911 to the collection.

stormy_clothing
07-21-2010, 2:51 PM

Or because we grew up with our parents finicky 1911's not liking anything but gold ammo and still weren't as accurate for anything less than double the money - or hold more than half the ammo or like all of the unnecessary safety features from 100 years ago or believe the world is round and technology has gotten better in 100 years or don't want to have a ftf against bad guys who are using beat down 50,000 round ex cop glocks.

besides all that um yeah.

I like the 1911 but as a gun not a showpiece it cant match a modern pistol.

This despite being somewhat extreme demonstrates just how good a tool a glock really is

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

cookmonsta
07-21-2010, 2:54 PM
be careful now. they're like potato chips and cant have just 1. :iagree:

Steyrlp10
07-21-2010, 3:04 PM
Congrats on getting your 1911 -- looking forward to seeing the photos of your new toy :)

wsmc27
07-21-2010, 5:38 PM
she says its better to shoot the perp in the nuts than killing him.

:rofl2: ...she sounds angry.

:)

Monkeywrench...CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

eastershawn
07-21-2010, 7:15 PM
youre story is EXACTLY the same as mine, except i got a stainless loaded. good job man

shortround1
07-21-2010, 7:28 PM

I don't think it's fair to call it hype when they actually make a good product. I've never regretted buying a glock.

SNEAKS
07-21-2010, 7:33 PM
Congrats on your Springfield. Thats a good model and if you ever want any custom work the Springfield Custom Shop does some top notch work.

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-21-2010, 8:14 PM
Thats what I hear. And just like bringing home a baby (so ive been told) I am online looking to outfit it. Im torn between a Kirkpatrick leather holster or a Blackhawk Duty Serpa. Man I am going back and forth on this!!! lol great problem to have. Also, can anyone tell me of a good place to pick up some quality 8rnd mags at a decent price?

OneSevenDeuce
07-21-2010, 8:17 PM
can anyone tell me of a good place to pick up some quality 8rnd mags at a decent price?

MidwayUSA usually has decent deals on mags. Wilson Combat is the gold standard in 1911 mags if you ask me.

speedgoat
07-21-2010, 8:19 PM
youre story is EXACTLY the same as mine, except i got a stainless loaded.

I like your style. :D

Legasat
07-22-2010, 7:14 AM
Also, can anyone tell me of a good place to pick up some quality 8rnd mags at a decent price?

I use Wilson 47D's and CMC PowerMags. Never a failure or problem with either in my 1911.

Peter W Bush
07-22-2010, 7:28 AM
Or because we grew up with our parents finicky 1911's not liking anything but gold ammo and still weren't as accurate for anything less than double the money - or hold more than half the ammo or like all of the unnecessary safety features from 100 years ago or believe the world is round and technology has gotten better in 100 years or don't want to have a ftf against bad guys who are using beat down 50,000 round ex cop glocks.

besides all that um yeah.

I like the 1911 but as a gun not a showpiece it cant match a modern pistol.

This despite being somewhat extreme demonstrates just how good a tool a glock really is

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Oh please... not this crap again.

bombadillo
07-22-2010, 7:40 AM
Congrats!! I started off with a polymer framed .45 and its been awesome, but the feel of real steel in the hand pales polymer framed weapons IMO. Even a CZ75b with a steel frame now just feels good. Tupperware guns have their place and I won't knock them at all for their intended use because I love and still shoot mine, but ya just gotta love steel.

cineski
07-22-2010, 8:05 AM
None of this matters if you forget to flip the safety off in a gun fight.

badmonkey
07-22-2010, 8:43 AM

my 1911 has eaten up everything i've ever fed it. WWB, SXT, Rem JHP, UMC, Reloads, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi, AE. It's a "cheap" 1911, too. It IS picky about mags, and only appears to like the OEM Novaks it shipped with, but that's ok with me, i've got enough of em.

redcliff
07-22-2010, 8:48 AM
The thumb safety is one of the things that makes 1911's great. You can have a light, crisp trigger pull without compromising the safety of handling the pistol. Yes it takes some practice, but after you shoot them long enough it's second nature. It's like shifting a manual transmission car; when was the last time you "forgot" to push in the clutch to shift one.

Glocks can be modified to have decent trigger pulls, but the largest police force in the nation which uses Glocks (NYPD)specifies a heavier trigger pull on their pistol in order to reduce the negligent discharges of the Glock.

five.five-six
07-22-2010, 8:49 AM
I sold the glock and just purchased a Springfield loaded model (black stainless steel). Ive got 10 more days til I can post some pics, but yeah, I took the plunge.

been there, done that

careful, 1911's are a lot like potato chips

Mr_Monkeywrench
08-05-2010, 12:30 PM
well, I finally picked it up, but I had to send it back to SA because the plunger tube was pulling away from the frame. SA customer service was awesome, hopefully Ill have it back in a couple of weeks. thats my luck:rolleyes: anyway, enjoy
http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/Mr_monkeywrench/Calguns%20pics/YosemiteTrip009.jpg

redcliff
08-05-2010, 1:21 PM
Nice looking pistol, bummer about the plunger tube, its pretty rare for them to come loose...apparently it wasn't properly staked during assembly.

HPGunner
08-05-2010, 1:25 PM
Me too - just got the Sprinfield Loaded black stainless 1911 too. (Target version not the Combat version). Picking her up this weekend. My fist 1911. I'm little intimidated with the field stripping and putting a scratch on it. It's not as simple as a Glock, Sig, Beretta or HK I presume.

BenjaminCA
08-05-2010, 1:36 PM
All the glock hate in this thread and your sending in your 1911 to get worked on? I'm surprised the wolves haven't moved in for the kill! Aside from that, sweet looking 1911 you got there, I have a PM7 that I really enjoy shooting even though I'm 27 years old. And when .45 is scarce and I don't feel like reloading I love shooting my G17 RTF. I agree with others in saying that all guns have their place, 1911's are great so are glocks... Horses are great, and so are cars.... :D

Mr_Monkeywrench
08-05-2010, 1:53 PM
Yeah, about that plunger tube thing. Its a family curse. My brother bought a glock sub compact and the second magazine he put through it, the recoil spring broke. gunsmiths says "wow, never seen that before". sends it back gets a new spring, works flawlessly now. but inconvenient. Its a family luck thing. We are all fully convinced of this, it no longer pisses us off. its expected. Example: company makes 50,000 stereos. 1 of them doesnt work. that one gets shipped to the walmart next to my house just in time for me to buy it. Go home plug it in and immediately turn around and return it. Its not fatal or anything, but its enough to annoy. :mad:

HPGunner
08-05-2010, 3:44 PM
Good to know that SA has great customer service. I haven't had the pleasure of sending any gun I own in for servicing a defect and I hope it doesn't happen to me when I pick up my SA Loaded this weekend.

Legasat
08-05-2010, 3:53 PM
I like them all, but there is something special about a 1911.

Gallows
08-05-2010, 4:51 PM
My first handgun was a 1911, I still have it actually, but after awhile I wanted to check out a Glock. Not sure what is so appealing about them but I really want one for some reason. Plus my 1911 has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. Good buy though, sweet looking gun.

kellito
08-05-2010, 8:46 PM
All the glock hate in this thread and your sending in your 1911 to get worked on? I'm surprised the wolves haven't moved in for the kill! Aside from that, sweet looking 1911 you got there, I have a PM7 that I really enjoy shooting even though I'm 27 years old. And when .45 is scarce and I don't feel like reloading I love shooting my G17 RTF. I agree with others in saying that all guns have their place, 1911's are great so are glocks... Horses are great, and so are cars.... :D

Not much glock hate in this thread really. I think glocks are great, I own one but it is no where near my favorite pistol, ergos suck for me. Great tool, and I bought the glock first, but I reach for the 1911 first.