PDA

View Full Version : ISP Options in OC?

EdCo
07-20-2010, 5:57 PM
I am currently getting my internet from att and haven't been happy with it since I got it. My internet disconnects at exactly 7:26pm and several different times during the day. I brought it to att's attention and they sent a technician who supposedly fixed it but still have the same problem. I don't want to change my phone company but would like to have a faster, more reliable isp. Any recommendations? I live in Santa Ana btw. thanx

EdCo
07-20-2010, 8:52 PM
Just did a internet speed test and this is what I got, Download 1.16Mb/s Upload 0.43Mb/s. What do the numbers mean? Sorry I'm not to familiar with web lingo.

bigmike82
07-20-2010, 8:58 PM
You likely have DSL.

The biggest problem I've found when it comes to DSL is wiring. I've come across some completely jacked up phone jacks in my time, and they completely screw with the signal.

Have you called ATT when it goes out to ask them to run a test? How long is it out for? Does restarting the modem help?

EdCo
07-20-2010, 9:08 PM
Yeah, I've called them before and they sent a tech. All he did was a test which he said was ok and reset the dsl router. I'm just wondering why it disconnects at exactly the same time every day. I have nothing connected to the phone line that would disconnect it. The house is old and the wiring my be suspect. I have been looking for other isps that provide either cable or wireless internet around my area but the companies that offer cable internet only sells it in packages which I don't want and wireless is way too expensive. That's why I was wondering if anyone know of any cable isp that just provides that service.

EdCo
07-20-2010, 9:11 PM
When it disconnects at 7:26 it reconnects after a min or so. All other times it will disconnect and reconnect a lot of times for about 20mins at a time.

bigmike82
07-21-2010, 8:33 AM
"When it disconnects at 7:26 it reconnects after a min or so. All other times it will disconnect and reconnect a lot of times for about 20mins at a time."
That is odd. I've seen the pattern of connect/reconnects in the past, and that was usually caused by bittorrent and/or crap wiring. See if you can get ATT to exchange your DSL Modem with a new one...

Which cable provider area are you in?

EdCo
07-21-2010, 3:01 PM
Which cable provider area are you in?

Time warner cable. I used to have time warner but since they got rid of a couple of channels I would watch I switched to dish network.

StephenhDMRS
07-21-2010, 3:07 PM
Everything else is 2x as much. Get a new router. Preferably one not from AT&T. That fixed my problems. I had DLing problems using bittorrent. I would try a new router before shelling out alot of up front fees from other providers.

Brianguy
07-21-2010, 3:22 PM
If available in your area, I recommend Cox. Second fastest internet in the country.

Dezert_Tacoma
07-21-2010, 3:24 PM
See if U Verse is available in your area.

EdCo
07-22-2010, 9:19 PM
If available in your area, I recommend Cox. Second fastest internet in the country.

I am probably going to go with that instead. It may be a little more expensive but I don't have to worry about getting disconnected. thanx for the replies.