PDA

View Full Version : Glock questions

Macky
07-20-2010, 2:28 PM
Looking to purchase a Glock 17

How can I tell the difference between old and new models?
Are the mfg dates on the gun?

What does 2nd 3rd and 4th gen mean?

Are the older versions better than the new ones?

Also I have seen RTF2 and OD ......what does this mean?

Malthusian
07-20-2010, 2:32 PM
I can work backwards from Gen 4
Gen 4 is not available in CA
A few of the Gen 3 were released with a RTF or RTF2 texture and were called Gen 4's but there were still Gen 3's
Gen 4's say Gen 4 on the slide and MBS on the frame. They have an ambidextrous mag release and dual recoil spring
The barrel is cut out slightly for the larger recoil spring and the frame is slightly wider at the dust cover. I have read it was also beefed up to address an anomaly. When a weapon light was added to the 40 cal models, it would jam with certain loads. It also has the interchangeable back straps
Gen 3's have the finger groves on the grip and the tactical rail. I believe the tactile Loaded Chamber Indicator was added as well
Gen 2's do not have the finger groves or tactical rail, but had checkering on the front and rear strap
Gen ones looked pretty much like Gen 2's minus checkering

Other people will chime in with their Glock expertise

Josh3239
07-20-2010, 2:42 PM
Glock Gen 1 for sale by Ade's in Orange: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=179351953

XYZ
07-20-2010, 2:46 PM
OD = Olive Drab color

Gen 2 - No finger grooves or rail
Gen 3 - Finger grooves and RTF
Gen 3 - RTF2 - rough texture finish on the grip
Gen 4 - Availbable in CA but not on the list. Only way to acquire one is a PPT from an LE

There's a good image that I'll add if I can find one that shows the evolution of the different generations.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx273/mscolocado/glock.jpg

Macky
07-20-2010, 2:50 PM
This is great!

Thanks for the info

HighLander51
07-20-2010, 3:25 PM
They are all good, the only real difference is if you want a weapon mounted light. 3rd and 4th gen guns have 2 pins in the locking blocks, and Gen 4 mags will fit all earlier guns, and verse visa.... I have a Surefire that I run on a G17, G19, G23, G22, and G20. They all function the same. Most Glock problems are ammo or shooter induced. I currently have 3 G17s, G19, G23, G20, G31 and a G24 in the inventory. I have owned and shot, two G21's, G30, G26, G34 and the G17L (which I should have kept)

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 3:27 PM
They are all good, the only real difference is if you want a weapon mounted light. 3rd and 4th gen guns have 2 pins in the locking blocks, and Gen 4 mags will fit all earlier guns, and verse visa.... I have a Surefire that I run on a G17, G19, G23, G22, and G20. They all function the same. Most Glock problems are ammo or shooter induced.

Are you sure you don't want to recommend an STI?

Malthusian
07-20-2010, 3:36 PM
Are the Gen 4 and Gen 3 magazines forward and backward compatible?
I want to get the facts straight. I saw a you tube video on the magazine compatibility
so I cannot personally validate this.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 3:44 PM
Are the Gen 4 and Gen 3 magazines forward and backward compatible?
I want to get the facts straight. I saw a you tube video on the magazine compatibility
so I cannot personally validate this.

They are all compatible assuming you keep your mag release in the right hander's configuration. The only thing you can't do is use the old style mags with the Gen 4s in "left hander" mag release configuration.

HighLander51
07-20-2010, 3:49 PM
OneSevenDeuce, and here I was about to give you a 'Yea' for getting a Glock... So now that have a Glock, report back after the first 10,000 miles, it takes about that long to get used to the trigger, but, you can get a '1911' like trigger (or as close as it gets) from

http://www.glockwarehouse.com/Fulcrum_Ultimate_Kit_p/zt-ful-ult.htm

I have run many different Glock setups, but this is the best (not for carry) My strange 3 Gun buddy, Yar, works there. http://www.livevideo.com/media/tag/madtrigger.aspx

In the competition shooting world, Glocks are actually considered to be 'non guns' But yes, actually the STI/SVI in 9mm major is ticket, because the pressures are just to high for a Glock to live very long, in Glock miles, that is. Shooters who run Glocks expect well over 250,000 miles, not just 50,000.

My Open Major Glock, which will probably not make 50,000 miles, but it will be worth the run....... and a G17 running Limited Minor, which should easily go past 250,000 miles, pictured with a 170mm mag extension, starting at 28 rounds.. Actually that is the 2nd slide for that gun (same as in my avatar).