PDA

View Full Version : Kill me now...

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:23 PM
Before I saw anything I do want to point out that I am not out to bash any kind of firearm. Everybody shoots a little different and if this offends you based on your particular preference then I'm sorry.

I have always been a 1911 guy. I own several, have shot them for years, and am in awe of the simplicity of design and the generally flawless functioning. Having fired many-a-round out of 1911s over the years, I like to think that I have become pretty proficient with this weapon. I have learned many of the intricacies of firing it well and do pretty well with it.

That having been said, I can tell you that until recently I have never handled a pistol I liked as much as a 1911. Then I got a Glock. I have never had a pistol fit my hand so naturally. No matter how I grip it out of the holster my hand almost always settles into a solid high grip. I have no grip safety to worry about, which was sometimes a problem for me as I try to get a high grip on a 1911 frame.

All this disturbs me greatly. Looking back I realize I had to train myself to fire a 1911 well. With a Glock it's almost natural. My 1911s will stay in my collection, I am just not ready to give them up (is I ever will be). But let's just say that they have been getting a lot less trigger time lately.

M47_Dragon
07-20-2010, 2:25 PM
BLASPHEMY!

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:26 PM
BLASPHEMY!

Tell me about it...

Paradiddle
07-20-2010, 2:27 PM
Funny. The Glock is one of the few pistols that I just cannot get to point for me.

The CZ75, 1911, High Power - all point so naturally. The Glock - I really struggle with it.

I haven't tried one in over 10 years so maybe somthing has changed.

JOEKILLA
07-20-2010, 2:28 PM
You are not alone. But the 1911 remains to be my favorite.
Maybe until I get a Steyr M40. :)

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:29 PM
I think it has a lot to do with where the slide sits. 1911s, CZs, High Powers, all have the slide sitting rather high up over the tang. Glocks sit really low. I definitely have noticed that my head has to go down lower to line up the sights properly.

sker13
07-20-2010, 2:31 PM
I can shoot them both equally well and love both....My instructor was very surprised at my last ccw class. He said most people like one or the other....I can make consistent head shots at 15 yards with both.

M47_Dragon
07-20-2010, 2:33 PM
It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Wait...

billped
07-20-2010, 2:34 PM
Be happy you found your perfect weapon. Many of us are still looking.

Bill

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:35 PM
It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Wait...

You can call me Joe :D

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:35 PM
Be happy you found your perfect weapon. Many of us are still looking.

Bill

Interesting comment. Just out of pure curiosity, what have you tried so far?

ianS
07-20-2010, 2:38 PM
Guns are like shoes. They don't always fit everyone "perfectly" but fit most adequately to get the job done. Most people can learn to shoot anything given enough ammo and proper training/practice.

I've owned almost every brand/model under the sun and Glocks and 1911's remain my faves. There were days I shot my 1911 better than my Glock 21SF. Then days I shot my G21SF better than my 1911. These days well, I'm shooting both like crap but that's another story....

nn3453
07-20-2010, 2:42 PM
You found a gun that fit you well and that you shoot well with. It is not religion. Steer clear of the zealots and shoot some more. Cheers.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:44 PM
You found a gun that fit you well and that you shoot well with. It is not religion. Steer clear of the zealots and shoot some more. Cheers.

I totally get what you are saying. I consider myself an open minded person. I'll try anything, seeing as how I bought the Glock in the first place. I just find it funny.

civilsnake
07-20-2010, 2:48 PM
I'm proud of you for being able to admit that. I also discovered out of the blue one day that I do, in fact, shoot Glocks very well and naturally. This was after years of avoiding them based on bad experiences many years ago. Welcome to a whole new world of possibilities.

bigbob76
07-20-2010, 2:52 PM
I like 1911s a lot and I have a few.
I like Glocks a lot and I have a few.
The hump on the backstrap of Glocks is supposed to be a solution to some problem that I don't seem to have so I'm in the process of de-humping all my Glocks. They work much better for me without the hump.
I bet you thought this was going to be a poem or something.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 2:53 PM
I like 1911s a lot and I have a few.
I like Glocks a lot and I have a few.
The hump on the backstrap of Glocks is supposed to be a solution to some problem that I don't seem to have so I'm in the process of de-humping all my Glocks. They work much better for me without the hump.
I bet you thought this was going to be a poem or something.

It's like a haiku or something.

socal-shooter
07-20-2010, 3:03 PM
1911 = 100 year old , archaic, overly complicated design by todays standards

there i said it

sker13
07-20-2010, 3:03 PM
Is there lots of lube involved in de-humping?:)

Notblake
07-20-2010, 3:09 PM
I think it has a lot to do with where the slide sits. 1911s, CZs, High Powers, all have the slide sitting rather high up over the tang. Glocks sit really low. I definitely have noticed that my head has to go down lower to line up the sights properly.

wut nao?

Synergy
07-20-2010, 3:12 PM
I can see adding a HK, but a Glock! That is wrong on so many ways! :rofl2:

M47_Dragon
07-20-2010, 3:12 PM
I'm in the process of de-humping all my Glocks.

I think I've found my new 'taken out of context random sig line quote.'

Bill Carson
07-20-2010, 4:06 PM
Welcome to the Glock side.

tacticalcity
07-20-2010, 4:10 PM
I feel ya! I was a m92 fan until I picked up a Glock and fell in love.

gorenut
07-20-2010, 4:13 PM

This 100%. During my transition to semis, I was pretty stubborn on getting a 1911. After trying many different platforms, the one that just suit me were Sigs. Sigs are pretty much the 1911s for me, as 1911s are for a lot of other people.

That aside, majority of the new shooters I introduce the sport to seem to prefer Glocks. From reports I've read, the design of Glocks and their grip angle supposedly enforces better shooting behavior to both new shooters and people who haven't shot for a while due to a more "aggressive" angle.

Peter W Bush
07-20-2010, 4:15 PM
1911 = 100 year old , archaic, overly complicated design by todays standards

there i said it

I hereby sentence you to burning at the stake.:taz:

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 4:16 PM
That aside, majority of the new shooters I introduce the sport to seem to prefer Glocks. From reports I've read, the design of Glocks and their grip angle supposedly enforces better shooting behavior to both new shooters and people who haven't shot for a while due to a more "aggressive" angle.

I think you are right on the money. Like I said above, I trained myself to shoot 1911s well, and I had to work at it. Maybe the reason I tend to shoot them well is because I really have to think about what I'm doing. But these Glocks, they just fit. Not much thinking to it.

ianS
07-20-2010, 4:20 PM
Try shooting your 1911 with your thumb on top of the thumb safety, one of the benefits of the extended thumb safety. It allows most people to have a higher grip....although it can prevent some people with really large hands to compress the grip safety consistently. Grip safeties with an elevated hump alleviate this "problem" for many.

Oceanbob
07-20-2010, 4:21 PM
Way back in the 70s it was 1911's and nothing else. I have 5 or 6 now. Some are custom; real pretty. Then it happened....in the mid 80s I bought a Glock 17..wow....that machine ate everything without a miss....then another and another..I now have 8 Glocks....and 2 more (Glock 20 and 29) coming 'round the bend. Love my Glocks. Got tired of blah-black..last one and the next 2 are OD green (kind of a tan..?)...The Glock 20 will be my new 'Car' gun....

The other day I visited my safe and picked up a full house 1911 I have....wow..that thing is HEAVY....hahaha...still love'em however...

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 4:23 PM
Try shooting your 1911 with your thumb on top of the thumb safety, one of the benefits of the extended thumb safety. It allows most people to have a higher grip....although it can prevent some people with really large hands to compress the grip safety consistently. There are grip safeties with with an elevated hump to alleviate this "problem".

Actually that's how I usually shoot. I had trouble with the grip safety actuating before I tried an extended one. I mean, yeah, it's ok. It works. But it's nice not having to worry about the grip safety altogether.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 4:24 PM
The other day I visited my safe and picked up a full house 1911 I have....wow..that thing is HEAVY....hahaha...still love'em however...

That's how I feel. Definitely two very different guns, but I still love my 1911s.

buffybuster
07-20-2010, 4:28 PM
Deuce,

You must be a European...... Ole Gaston did a ergonomic study of European male hands to arrive at the "Glock" Grip Angle (which is about identical to the Luger grip angle) (again must be a European thing).

Because if you were a Red Blooded AMERICAN, then by JMB, what JMB designed fits EVERY Red Blooded AMERICAN perfectly........:79:

Actually, JMB actually did his own ergonomic study over 100yrs ago and that's how the 1911 grip angle was developed. Which has been copied by many.... until Gaston.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 4:30 PM
Deuce,

You must be a European...... Ole Gaston did a ergonomic study of European male hands to arrive at the "Glock" Grip Angel (which is about identical to the Luger grip angel) (again must be a European thing).

Because if you were a Red Blooded AMERICAN, then by JMB, what JMB designed fits EVERY Red Blooded AMERICAN perfectly........:79:

Actually, JMB actually did his own ergonomic study over 100yrs ago and that's how the 1911 grip angel was developed. Which has been copied by many.

Hahaha, aren't most Americans of European ancestry? Maybe that's why I'm such a big baseball fan. Kinda close to cricket you know. Would it have been more patriotic if I had gotten an M&P? :D

Legasat
07-20-2010, 4:47 PM
Kill me now...

BANG!!!

Consider yourself killed...

If I didn't do it, JMB would have come back and done it ;)

Notblake
07-20-2010, 4:58 PM
Hahaha, aren't most Americans of European ancestry? Maybe that's why I'm such a big baseball fan. Kinda close to cricket you know. Would it have been more patriotic if I had gotten an M&P? :D

YES!

Glocks are ugly chicks, they know that they are ugly so they have to put out 2x as much.

M&P's are like chicks who used to be fat but just recently got skinny, and havent figured out that they are hot yet. They still put out like crazy but they aren't bad on the eyes.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 5:05 PM
I kinda like fat chicks.

MicronuT
07-20-2010, 5:38 PM
YES!

Glocks are ugly chicks, they know that they are ugly so they have to put out 2x as much.

M&P's are like chicks who used to be fat but just recently got skinny, and havent figured out that they are hot yet. They still put out like crazy but they aren't bad on the eyes.

awesomely put

Princeau99
07-20-2010, 5:39 PM
DO the honorable thing. Fall on your sword!!!

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 6:08 PM
"They want me to commit Harry Caray!"

Mr_Monkeywrench
07-20-2010, 6:21 PM
YES!

:laugh:

tdaughg
07-20-2010, 7:12 PM
i totally understand you on this one. the first time i fired a 1911 i walked off the range went straight to the sales counter and bought one. grip was a really nice size. packs a lot of punch but you dont feel it. i even got a longslide conversion done. super accurate.

a buddy has an original g17 and ive always hated it. ugly and never felt right. then i tried a 3rd gen g20 because i wanted a 10mm and it was that or a delta elite. with the glock i practically dont even need sites because it points so perfectly.

i still love and use my 1911 a lot but its no longer my go to gun in a shtf situation. g20 here i come.

OneSevenDeuce
07-20-2010, 7:48 PM
i still love and use my 1911 a lot but its no longer my go to gun in a shtf situation. g20 here i come.

I'm about getting to that point.