PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken any tactical hangun courses

barca101
07-20-2010, 1:00 PM
Hey all!
I know that shooting classes like Magpul Dynamics, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, and etc.. are expensive to attend due to crazy prices, but has anybody attended a tactical handgun course from Weapons Training School or Tactical Firearms Training Team as an alternative. I know its not one of the reputable shooting schools, but the training looks similiar. I was considering attending one. Its both affordable and it's in California. I would like to hear your reply. thanks

adamsreeftank
07-20-2010, 2:00 PM
I haven't been to the one you mentioned, but in the Bay Area there used to be a group called Civil Shield. I took some classes from them years ago and they were pretty good. The instructor was a Richmond PD SWAT instructor. I think we put around 1500 rounds down range each day for two or three days.

H.M.
07-20-2010, 2:11 PM
I've taken many courses but none from the schools you mention.

The courses sound expensive if you have no frame of reference, but after you have the training and realize how valuable it is you realize how inexpensive it is.

I'll pay $250 a day for the right training with $200 being the usual cost of courses I take and $150 being a bargain.

I've taken courses from Tactical Response, ITTS, LMS and Shivworks/Southnarc.

SuperSet
07-20-2010, 2:25 PM
I'd argue that depending on your skill level, non-brand name local courses will provide you a lot of value if you are beginning shooter.

If you have never taken a course before, a local certified NRA instructor could even get you started on the safety and fundamentals. From there, you can get some range time under your belt to reinforce those basics. Once you have those down and are comfortable around the weapon system, you can be a good candidate for a 'tactical' class and in turn, you'll learn a lot more from it than if you took it straight up.

9mmepiphany
07-20-2010, 2:27 PM
Hey all!
I know that shooting classes like Magpul Dynamics, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, and etc.. are expensive to attend due to crazy prices,

i can't think of many professional courses or seminars that you could attend for less than $200-$250 per day...and you'd be given a lot less personal attention. even state colleges are more expensive than this when you compare the number of hours spent with the instructor over a semester

77bawls
07-20-2010, 3:38 PM
Where is the video of that guy shooting the target behind his back?

m1match
07-20-2010, 3:46 PM
I've taken a number of classes from Bill Murphy, Firearms Training Associates. If Bill's teaching the class, the instruction is excellent.

ftatv.com

PC3597
07-20-2010, 7:51 PM
I co-founded a company in San Jose, CA called Tactical Training Associates. We are current CA POST certified firearms instructors and current LE. We run courses for all levels and weapon systems. We are current Police Academy instructors, so we are very good at teaching different levels of shooter. Let me know if this is something you're interested in, or even in your area. Send me a PM or check out our website at www.WestCoastTacticalTraining.com or email us at TacticalTrainingAssociates@gmail.com Our prices usually run from $150-$200 per 8 hour day depending on the course you sign up for....disregard the prices on the website, we are running specials right now.

Thanks

orangeusa
07-20-2010, 7:57 PM
Search threads about FALCONTACTICAL. I've taken 2 Tactical Pistol from them, and learned a LOT. Nice thing is they are local LA/OC and use Burro Canyon, and 'suggest' a way to do things, and after you've tried things their way, can try your own. And NRA instructors of course.

bruss01
07-21-2010, 7:49 AM
Check out LMS Defense. Great training, fair prices. I've been to plenty of their courses, learned lots, haven't been shot yet. They are really worth checking out if you want some good training here in state. Go to:
www.lmsdefense.com

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-21-2010, 7:57 AM
Search threads about FALCONTACTICAL. I've taken 2 Tactical Pistol from them, and learned a LOT. Nice thing is they are local LA/OC and use Burro Canyon, and 'suggest' a way to do things, and after you've tried things their way, can try your own. And NRA instructors of course.

i took the begginer pistol course and had a **** load of fun and learned so much. i want to take a rifle course next.

The Director
07-21-2010, 8:29 AM
The only pistol course I've ever taken is PC832 Firearms. And tactically speaking....well....totally useless. But that's not the point of it I guess. Dying to take a real one.

johnny_22
07-21-2010, 8:41 AM
Hey all!
I know that shooting classes like Magpul Dynamics, Tactical Response, Thunder Ranch, and etc.. are expensive to attend due to crazy prices, but has anybody attended a tactical handgun course from Weapons Training School or Tactical Firearms Training Team as an alternative. I know its not one of the reputable shooting schools, but the training looks similiar. I was considering attending one. Its both affordable and it's in California. I would like to hear your reply. thanks

If you are in the SF Bay Area, Louis Awerbuck's classes at Reed's Indoor Range are great and close by.

I have taken the Defensive Handguns class at ThunderRanch. It was good for me, and the shoot house was an experience you won't forget.

Mute
07-21-2010, 9:23 AM
You don't need to go to the big name schools for good, quality handgun training. For the record, I have taken classes at Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, and several other well known trainers, but many of our local shools are quite good, such as the ones listed above by the other forum members. You will be well served by them.

lehn20
07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
WWW.TFTT.COM

$165.00 for Pistol 1 and 2

Some of the best training around right here in CA. Max Joseph and crew

Diabolus
07-21-2010, 12:23 PM
WWW.TFTT.COM

$165.00 for Pistol 1 and 2

Some of the best training around right here in CA. Max Joseph and crew

+1 this outfit is good to go. Max and Jason are solid and great instructors.

Aldemar
07-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Where are you located?

Check out the 'Competition, Action Shooting & Training' Forum here.

puropuro
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
+1 this outfit is good to go. Max and Jason are solid and great instructors.

I like this from their Q&A:
Q If I am totally fat and completely out of shape, can I come to your classes?

A NO!

The body armor requirement is something I hadn't thought about.....good thing they rent it out.

twotap
07-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I have taken many classes at Weapons Training School and all were excellent. I wonder what you mean by reputable ?? John Popke is as good as it gets in my opinion.Fun ,practical knowelge and does not break the bank .

barca101
07-21-2010, 1:04 PM
Thanks all for your response! I forgot to mention that I'm in No. California. I didn't know their was alot of courses to take in our state. I was looking at TFTT. I know their from So. California, but they travel to Sacramento for their training. It's kind of funny bruss01 mentioned LMS Defense, I was just watching SWAT tv in the outdoor channel talking about their school. twotap, no disrespect with WTS, I've never heard of them until I was searching for shooting schools. I like the fact that its within my budget. I've mostly shot in the stand up stationary position and I want to learn something new. Even as a LEO their is always something new to learn!

surfinguru
07-21-2010, 1:18 PM
Check out LMS Defense. Great training, fair prices. I've been to plenty of their courses, learned lots, haven't been shot yet. They are really worth checking out if you want some good training here in state. Go to:
www.lmsdefense.com

+1 for LMS.

AlquistArms
07-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Tridentfirearms.com and valleydefense.com are very good instructors in the central valley.

Diabolus
07-21-2010, 3:46 PM

A NO!

The body armor requirement is something I hadn't thought about.....good thing they rent it out.

They did have an overweight shooter there, I guess he was former USMC so he was allowed to stay. Two guys showed up a bit late for day one, and they were asked to leave.

I had a great time and learned a lot.

45R
07-21-2010, 4:19 PM
Check out SCT! (StoneCobraTactical.com)

They are a Calguns supporter and vendor. Myself and several other shooters I know have taken classes with them. Top knotch!

gwl
07-22-2010, 8:05 AM
I have taken many classes at Weapons Training School and all were excellent. I wonder what you mean by reputable ?? John Popke is as good as it gets in my opinion.Fun ,practical knowelge and does not break the bank .

+100

lehn20
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Any training company not mandating body armor is not someone I would train with. All professionals wear it when they train regardless of wind and weather.
It is also a question of training mindset and personal safety. Not to mention liability and insurance.

Fight like you train, train like you fight.

A NO!

Ricky-Ray
07-22-2010, 12:57 PM
If your in SoCal check out Civilian Arms Training. http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/. I've taken their level 1 handgun and shotgun course there and had a great time doing it. Classes are held at Prado Olympic shooting park in Chino Hills.

I highly recommend them.

4thSeal
07-22-2010, 1:10 PM
TFTT is having Tac Pistol 1 / 2 / 3 next week in the Sacramento Area...

Tac 1 - July 29th
Tac 2 - July 30th
Tac 3 - July 31s/Aug 1st

Body Armor is available for rent at 10$ / day

If you have any questions contact the Director or if you are unable to contact him PM me and I will get you the awnsers.

If you do decide to take the classes, PM me your number and I will call you and give you a heads up on what to expect, what you should have for gear etc ... it will make your training much more effective if you are not fighting your equipment.

Depending on what weapon you plan on using I might have some gear available for you to use that way you do not have to spend a bunch of money in gear right now for the training.

Jason A Boak

Jicko
07-22-2010, 1:48 PM
Depending on where you are, US Training (formerly Black Water) here in San Diego is good too.

spencerhut
07-22-2010, 2:17 PM
In Central California (Coarsegold to be specific) there is Defensive Firearm Training (http://www.dftraining.net)
My wife and have been to the Defensive Handgun 2-Day class and we both thought it was fantastic. It was about 1500 rounds for us for the two days.
I'm not a LEO or anything (former active duty Marine) so I'm not sure what you really mean by "tactical". LEO tactical and civilian I would think require a bit of a different training style. Rudy used real life examples from his own experience to re-enforce the training. You could really tell he was doing his best to teach us what we needed to know so we would be the ones making the after action report. ;)

The main instructor is Rudy Waldinger. Rudy was a revolver champ of some fame a while back and still competes. Rudy also has some history being a live target, guarding live targets and shooting live targets (Trying to be polite). I'm taking a three day revolver class from him this weekend. I'll write something up on the class when it's over.

Highly recommended.

wsmc27
07-22-2010, 4:59 PM
This year I've been to a couple classes (Tactical Carbine, Tac Pistol) with Modern Defense Training at Burro Canyon.

Great experience each time, I'll go back soon for more. They have a "Skilbuilder" program as well which is a great deal for those who have previous training.

http://moderndefensetraining.com/

They post up over in the Competition and Training section. Great people and super reasonable fees imo.

hth :)

sjsharks16
08-16-2010, 4:26 PM

I can not agree with you more. I have taken a few courses from Weapons Training School and must say that John Popke is one of the best. His outstanding credentials are matched by few in the area. He creates an excellent atmosphere that is fun and all the classes are very inexpensive vs comparable training schools. I would give this school five stars and recommend their classes to all people of any skill level. weaponstrainingschool.com

kajvid
08-16-2010, 4:42 PM

Twice for the wife and once for me. She wants to go a third time. I'm ready! We even score the prize for "who came the furthest" since we are driving from Oakland. I love my WTS hat!

Mute
08-16-2010, 5:22 PM
Any training company not mandating body armor is not someone I would train with. All professionals wear it when they train regardless of wind and weather.
It is also a question of training mindset and personal safety. Not to mention liability and insurance.

Fight like you train, train like you fight.

Then obviously, Gunsite and Thuder Ranch aren't worthy because they don't mandate body armor for their students. Not everyone owns or uses body armor.

orangeusa
08-16-2010, 6:11 PM
My son walks around the house wearing a football helmet and boxers. Does that count?