PDA

View Full Version : Whats It Worth? Ruger Redhawk .44mag 7"

BigJB
07-20-2010, 9:28 AM
STainless, 7" with leather holster

Guy wants to trade it to me for a boat I am selling. Says it is "Like new"

Saw a few on gunbroker in the 5-600 range, but I am more interested in a the price I could sell it easily on calguns.

I understand gunbroker prices are not the same as calguns prices.

Thanks

bombadillo
07-20-2010, 9:39 AM
I just sold the super redhawk with around 250 rds down the pipe for $700 bucks to a guy who REALLY wanted it. I did give him a smokin deal on a rifle at the same time though.

BigJB
07-20-2010, 9:47 AM
I just sold the super redhawk with around 250 rds down the pipe for $700 bucks to a guy who REALLY wanted it. I did give him a smokin deal on a rifle at the same time though.

WHats the dif between a redhawk and a super redhawk?

bombadillo
07-20-2010, 9:50 AM
http://www.ozarkguns.com/Revolvers/Ruger%20Redhawk/54L.jpg

http://img.blogcu.com/uploads/silahresimleri_Super_Redhawk_KSRH-7.jpg

Look at the barrel attachment, the grip is way different, and the super redhawk was just a true work horse. The redhawk can still do most everything the super redhawk can do with the exception to the hottest 320gr hard cast loads out there. I don't know if I would run those through the redhawk.

BigJB
07-20-2010, 9:57 AM
So, a redhawk is worth less $$?

JTROKS
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Gunbroker prices are a good place to start, but take in consideration if gun is on the DOJ approved list or not. Being not on the list commends a little more in CA depending on how big the demand is. I just sold my Redhawk 7.5" 44mag stainless for $450, but mine had an action job and fiber optic front sight.

Mr. Beretta
07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
$350 to $450.

slobson
07-20-2010, 10:08 AM
WHats the dif between a redhawk and a super redhawk?

in addition to what bomb said, the big structural difference is in frame construction. the super redhawk is built even more like a tank than other ruger wheelguns (built specifically for 41 and 44 mag I believe) if you want a 44 that can be shot by you through your grandkids, this is the one

BigJB
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Just not sure I wanna do a trade now. I am selling this old 14 ft aluminum boat, was free to me, but has value. Guy has the Redhawk, wants to trade and I give him $200 cash. Looks like after the hassle of transfer fees, time, to only get $400 for gun, not worth it.

unless someone has any insight ive missed?

Thanks to all of you who took their time to help me out here, Bombadillo who even posted pics. Calguns is pretty dang cool.

Blood Ocean
07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Bad deal. But at least he didn't use the gun to rob you of the trailer.

Redlinegts
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Those guns are so fun to shoot, you can barely feel the recoil of the .44

JTROKS
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Those guns are so fun to shoot, you can barely feel the recoil of the .44

Shoot 320 hard cast at very warm level and you'll definitely feel recoil with the wood grips on the Redhawk. I have a Super Redhawk in 454 and it will get your attention with any loads worthy of the 454 Casull name.

hill billy
07-20-2010, 1:20 PM
I'd be interested in the Redhawk if you do the trade.

BigJB
07-20-2010, 1:30 PM
I'd be interested in the Redhawk if you do the trade.

But would you pay $500 for it? Because thats what I would have to get for it in order to be worth it on my end. I'd have to sign and pay ptp here, and then ship to your ffl down south. Pretty sure there are a few for sale on calguns right now for less than that.

Masterdebater
07-20-2010, 1:33 PM
got pics of the boat and price? ive been looking for a little something to take out

BigJB
07-20-2010, 1:47 PM
got pics of the boat and price? ive been looking for a little something to take out

In Norcal

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=322490

ih8ca
07-20-2010, 2:19 PM
I tried to sell one with a burris scope for $550 a few weeks back at a gun in Wa. The gun was a private sale and it did not move. There were a few people trying to trade for it though.

mike100
07-20-2010, 2:55 PM
$350 to $450.

word! x2! That's it. The redhawk looks great, but has a lousy trigger compared to the Super RDHK. I couldn't even get cash for mine, I had to trade.

not the best range gun but probably a good choice for bear carry in the woods though as the DA is OK.

bombadillo
07-20-2010, 7:10 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70244

Here's the gun brand new so depending on condition, yes it is worth $500 bucks.

Redlinegts
07-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Shoot 320 hard cast at very warm level and you'll definitely feel recoil with the wood grips on the Redhawk. I have a Super Redhawk in 454 and it will get your attention with any loads worthy of the 454 Casull name.

Luckily, my friend has some rubber grips on it and used his own reloads so it wasn't too bad. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this yet :)

BigDogatPlay
07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
First thing to go on a Redhawk is the factory Magna style grips. They are not fun with stout loads. I replaced with Pachmayr Gripper with the fully covered backstrap on mine.

If the boat is worth more than $500, and all you come away with is the gun, then you are not getting the best end of that deal. Depending on condition in the secondary market the best you likely could hope for on the gun right now is maybe $450, and that would be for a recent model with the factory scope mounts and rings.

1JimMarch
07-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Wait one second.

Sometime in either 2006 or 2007 as best we can tell, Ruger changed how they make the cylinders on these.

Older ones were bored on machines that do all six chambers at once with six bit/reamer kits. The new process uses one bit/reamer set on all six chambers in sequence.

The newer cylinders have uniform chamber dimensions and uniform throats (the constriction at the forward end of each cylinder bore). On average the newer guns shoot better.

When I was shopping for a Ruger in 2005, I bought the New Vaquero because it was the first Ruger made with the new process, and despite being smaller than it's large-frame "original Vaquero" cousins the NewVaqs tended to shoot better out of the box. In my experience this has been true - when I went to pick out my gun out of three at a shop, all three passed "the checkout" with flying colors and the one I took home shot great out of the box and still shoots great.

That cylinder bore process was later transferred to the whole Ruger wheelgun product line.

This will affect whether you want an older one at all and if so what it's worth.