PDA

View Full Version : I love my Steyr!

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 9:33 AM
For those that don't know, I am a huge Steyr fan, and have both the M40 and the S40 pistols.

Now that I'm in AZ, I want to get a suppressor (since I can!! :D ) and contacted Steyr Arms, Inc. in AL to find out best course of action.

They have (and I bought) a threaded 9mm barrel, and it fits like a glove in my M40 frame! Didn't even need to change the slide!
I have a couple of 15-rd 9mm mags on the way from Dunn's, and should be ready to shoot suppressed in a couple of months! Will be able to shoot in 9mm by next weekend though!

VERY nice to have multiple capability with just one frame!
If I can put a .40S&W barrel into my 9mm SigPro 2022 this easily, I will be in heaven!

Just wanted to fill you in on progress, and will update when I can!

:cheers2:
Cheers,
Paul

Lil Bawbee
07-20-2010, 9:39 AM
i love my m40 a1 aswell... so with a mag and a barrel i can make it a 9mm?

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 9:48 AM
Evidently so! :yes:

I was kind of skeptical, but Jack at SAI seemed intent that I did not have to buy a slide and/or another frame, just mags to support it.

Will let you know on Sunday!! :D
(if my magazines get here in time. Next weekend for sure if not!)

MrPlutonium
07-20-2010, 9:54 AM
I've been waiting on a suppressor for over 2 months now and I haven't even filled out the ATF paperwork...

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 9:56 AM
I've been waiting on a suppressor for over 2 months now and I haven't even filled out the ATF paperwork...

Who are you going through? Are you on the AZ Shooter's forum too?

There is lots of good info on there! I'm probably going the Trust route, myself.

;)

MrPlutonium
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Who are you going through? Are you on the AZ Shooter's forum too?

There is lots of good info on there! I'm probably going the Trust route, myself.

;)

I haven't joined the forum but I went to AZEX and he's been great. Real nice guy. The best and worst part about him is that he doesn't like to stock too many items because then he won't feel forced to sell you what's there rather than what you really want. The downside is that it takes a while to get it to you.
Remember, you're pretty much stuck with a suppressor once you have it, so make sure you buy the one you want the first time, even if you have to wait a while. There's virtually no secondhand market for suppressors out there.

mrboma
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I loved my Steyr so much I bought my wife one. Dunn's was down to (3) M9-A1's and I was able to grab one. Thanks again to Lauren Dunn for making sure the order went through smoothly. Just grabbed 5 more 10 round mags and put in an offer for a TLR-3 here on the board for the wife.

As I have said before, the M-A1 series Steyr is the best poly pistol you've never heard of.

Congrats on the ability to truely accessorize your pistol!

Regards,
Mike

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Mr. P, if you join up on the forum, look me up, I've got the same username as here.
I'll probably go thru AZEX too, but don't relish the 2-3 drives up towards PHX that will be required. Would much rather find a similar guy here in Tucson. If you hear of anyone, please let me know!

Hey Mike, let me know if you need any more 10-rd mags. I'm in AZ now, and stocked up on 12-rounders! :D

mrboma
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey Mike, let me know if you need any more 10-rd mags. I'm in AZ now, and stocked up on 12-rounders! :D

Poncho,
What's the going rate on the 10 rounders?
Much appreciated.
Regards,
Mike

MrPlutonium
07-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Mr. P, if you join up on the forum, look me up, I've got the same username as here.
I'll probably go thru AZEX too, but don't relish the 2-3 drives up towards PHX that will be required. Would much rather find a similar guy here in Tucson. If you hear of anyone, please let me know!

I hear ya. I don't particularly enjoy the drive either and it's only about 40 mins from me. I tried to join the forum once but for some reason it wouldn't let me do it on the phone. Then I forgot...

Anyhoo I'll keep an eye out for you. Btw I'm going the trust route. Don't need sherrif joe to know too much...

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 2:46 PM
Poncho,
What's the going rate on the 10 rounders?
Much appreciated.
Regards,
Mike

Last I checked, they were about $23 plus shipping each. Mine would be $20 each, shipped.

I hear ya. I don't particularly enjoy the drive either and it's only about 40 mins from me. I tried to join the forum once but for some reason it wouldn't let me do it on the phone. Then I forgot...

Anyhoo I'll keep an eye out for you. Btw I'm going the trust route. Don't need sherrif joe to know too much...

Good deal! If you're ever down this way, let me know, the outdoor range at the Pima Cty Fairgrounds is right down the road from me, lane charge is on me! :D

mrboma
07-20-2010, 2:52 PM
Poncho,
Thanks for the heads up. Also make me feel pretty good about the last batch I got from a very nice and sympathetic gentleman in Florida.

For now I think I am set (12 mags currently) but I will definately keep your offer in mind.

Enjoy the freedom and be sure to post a pic or two once you have your can mounted.

Regards,
Mike

MrPlutonium
07-20-2010, 8:44 PM
Sounds great poncho! Any cooler down there?

PonchoTA
07-20-2010, 8:55 PM
It was only about 103* today, at least when I last checked the outside indicator on my car! :rofl:

:D

MichaelKent
07-21-2010, 1:10 PM
Evidently so! :yes:

I was kind of skeptical, but Jack at SAI seemed intent that I did not have to buy a slide and/or another frame, just mags to support it.

Will let you know on Sunday!! :D
(if my magazines get here in time. Next weekend for sure if not!)

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaattt?? :eek: Not only is my M40-A1 awesome but I can just swap the barrel and mags to make it a 9mm??? That's fantastic! Is that legal in CA (since it says .40 S&W on the slide)?

Actually I haven't fired it much, but it had some problems when I took it out. Sometimes it wouldn't fire because the slide didn't reset all the way to the starting position (it slams back when fired as normal, but slides back and sometimes stops a few mm early). I had just gotten it used, and I recently cleaned it, so hopefully that will take care of the issue. There were also a couple FTEs, but I think that was related with the other issue.

I should check the extractor and plunger and see if they're the right ones. Otherwise it's a blast, love the sights and the recoil is handled very nicely.

mrboma
07-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Whhhhhhaaaaaaaattt?? :eek: Not only is my M40-A1 awesome but I can just swap the barrel and mags to make it a 9mm??? That's fantastic! Is that legal in CA (since it says .40 S&W on the slide)?

Actually I haven't fired it much, but it had some problems when I took it out. Sometimes it wouldn't fire because the slide didn't reset all the way to the starting position (it slams back when fired as normal, but slides back and sometimes stops a few mm early). I had just gotten it used, and I recently cleaned it, so hopefully that will take care of the issue. There were also a couple FTEs, but I think that was related with the other issue.

I should check the extractor and plunger and see if they're the right ones. Otherwise it's a blast, love the sights and the recoil is handled very nicely.

Call Jack at SAI. You will be taken care of.
Regards,
Mike

SickofSoCal
07-21-2010, 4:29 PM
1970's tech rocks!

PonchoTA
07-21-2010, 6:23 PM
Call Jack at SAI. You will be taken care of.
Regards,
Mike

Ditto! NOTHING but great things to say about Jack and the rest of the folks at SAI, absolutely awesome customer service, and they really want to KEEP your business too!

Oh and their number (in case you haven't found it!) is: (205) 655-8299,
and their address:
PO Box 840
Trussville, AL 35173

:cool2:

jamesob
07-21-2010, 7:26 PM
i love my styer 6.5x55 rifle. the action is like butter and i love the twisted fluted barrel.

Steyr_223
07-21-2010, 8:13 PM
I love you too! LOL!

;)

Steyr makes great guns..

jamesob
07-21-2010, 9:58 PM
I love you too! LOL!

;)

Steyr makes great guns..

hmmmm. are you a twin or am i mistaken.:D

evidens83
07-22-2010, 8:25 AM
You love your Steyr so much you forgot to post pics of it ;)

Palimino Stripe
07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I love my steyr's too...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/Palimino444/Steyr%20M95/Picture1102R.jpg

Oh wait- you guys are talking about some modern crap :whistling: :D

-Palimino

Steyrlp10
07-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd really like to go to their factory in Austria. That's my idea of a candy store. Maybe in another life I'll hit those great scores and Steyr will build me my own gun :)

Steyr_223
07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I love my steyr's too...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a102/Palimino444/Steyr%20M95/Picture1102R.jpg

Oh wait- you guys are talking about some modern crap :whistling: :D

-Palimino

I have two M95s...An Austrian and a Hungarian (Budapest)

Would love to get a Steyr Scout

http://www.donath.org/Defense/Guns/SteyrScout/MyScout.jpg

PonchoTA
07-22-2010, 12:56 PM
You love your Steyr so much you forgot to post pics of it ;)

Broken camera! ;)

No, you're right. I'll try and see if I can post a pic somehow of the new configuration soon! My bust!

GW
07-22-2010, 6:42 PM
My Steyr Scout was a death ray in Africa.
Took 4 animals with 4 shots