PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Dish, Cable. Directv?

FastFinger
07-20-2010, 6:30 AM
Our Dish bill just went up from $85 to $110. Talking to a buddy about that and he mentione that he's dumping his DirecTV, and not getting Dish or Cable. His thinking is that it cheaper to just get a Netfix account, and that pretty much every worthwhile series is available over the net.

No I understand that whatever plan I get must fit my particular viewing patter. Which is that I can go years w/o watching any sports, I seldom watch news, and we usually don't "surf", we have a few shows that we target TIVO, and hardly ever plop ourselves in front of the TV and just watch the least objectionable show.

We do like Breaking Bad - HBO programming, movies, a few cable reality shows, an an occasional network show. Probaly 10 or so hours per week.

A problem is that we have a large screen with HDMI, but so far I don't even have internet access in my living room (which is where our only tv is located).

He has Apple TV, a home server, Apple WiFi etc.

I'm thinking of building a server/pc with hefty HT support.

What are you doing for TV access - can you live w/o cable or sat?

Kali-Jax
07-20-2010, 6:38 AM
I just did the same thing. Except I have a laptop in my living room to get the streamin shows.

We were sitting and watching 4 hours of nothing every night.
Its amazing. What you can do with that time.

13.00 Netflicks
35.00 Intraweb.

lazyworm
07-20-2010, 6:40 AM
a coworker of mine doesn't even have a TV at home. The family got by on watching movies and hulu on the computer.

smird
07-20-2010, 6:49 AM
No cable or direct tv for about 8 years, and I don't miss it. I use netflix, and have a boxee pc that I've ripped all my dvds to. There's also the Hulu pay service that I haven't tried out yet, but hear good things about.

If you get your tv shows from netflix, you'll be about a season behind. But many of them you can watch on the networks or other site as little as a week after air date.

Nice thing now is I don't "surf" or watch nothing like Kali says. I either watch something I want to see or the TV is off and I'm doing something else.

Now the really cool thing is I have 4 and 6 y.o. girls. They only watch what I want them to. They haven't seen a bazillion commercials. I asked the 6 y.o. what she want for her birthday and she told me "a nice dress" instead of the latest greatest boo boo wonder pet or whatever is the hot ticket right now.

CSACANNONEER
07-20-2010, 6:56 AM
I just use DTV and pay about $25/month.

winnre
07-20-2010, 8:02 AM
I signed up for DISH because they gave me all channels for 3 months then top 120 for 9 months at $20 a month, plus a $50 sign up bonus and no sign up fee. So, 120 channels for $190. for a year. Still gonna drop at the end though.

45R
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
No DISH, CABLE TV or Direct TV

Hulu, Netflix

and FTW!

http://www.tv-dome.net/

Digital_Boy
07-20-2010, 11:52 AM
I cut the cord several years ago, and I use a combination of bit torrent, hulu, netflix and a Popcorn Hour networked media tank for content and playback capability.

Check out the Popcorn Hour media streamers, along with the Western Digital settop boxes. They support all the major codec formats and wrappers (H264, X264, MPEG4 codec, Matroksa (.mkv extension) wrapper, WMV format, etc).

The Popcorn Hour has a 10/100 network interface, HDMI and electrical and optical S/PDIF outputs to hook into your AV receiver or directly into your TV, so you get full 1080p playback without any intervening D/A or A/D conversions between your playback device and your monitor.

Satex
07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
If you don't watch TV, how do you find about the shows?
Also, how do you get affordable internet only service?

Tanner68
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I got rid of Dish and never looked back. No TV for me. Netflix and the internet provide plenty of entertainment options.

kapache
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
No matter how expensive my cable gets I can't let go of cable TV, I must watch my regular shows. I spend 15 hours a day on a computer the least thing I want to do is watch Videos through a Computer, besides my Son must watch his TU TU show (Thomas and friends ).

Vacaville
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Dish sucks. We kept having problems outside, and Dish charges $100 to come out whether it's their fault or yours. Problem was always faulty equipment or connections on the roof. Changed back to basic cable after a few years of their crap.

sholling
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I pay a small fortune for Verizon's Ultimate FIOS package with 35/35mb internet access and Showtime. It's a lot of money but the picture quality and sound are awesome. What I gave up to save money was $30 month of land line.

kapache
07-20-2010, 1:03 PM
What I love about Satellite TV(Dish) is that you can hack the HU card, and program your own channels as well open every single channel possible.

2DoorImpala
07-20-2010, 4:26 PM
Im paying 40 bucks and i got most channels minus hbo/and a few other movie ones, which i have no need for.

daves100
07-20-2010, 7:00 PM
What I love about Satellite TV(Dish) is that you can hack the HU card, and program your own channels as well open every single channel possible.

Direct TV put a end to that awhile ago, unless someone knows something i do not:D

Can the dish be hacked

FastFinger
07-20-2010, 7:07 PM
Thanks for all the great info!

Right now we have 2 att pots land lines with unlimited LD and att DSL - almost $110/month right there. I bought a ooma voip system, and have one phone on it, I'm going to install the 2nd number soon (scout) and migrate to those two. Probably keep one POTS line with just the limited service. May or may not stay with ATT DSL. That should save $50/m or so. The voip quality is pretty good - not quite as clear as ATT pots, but close.

And I think I will dump Dish and go with another system, or combo of systems. although I can get a pretty good DirecTV subscription for about $60/m for two years.

Decisions decisions.

I'm amazed at all the options out there. Netflix seems like a no-brainer. We both like docs and obscure movies that are impossible to find now that all the vid rental stores are going out of business.

Thanks for all the tips - keep 'em coming!

No matter how expensive my cable gets I can't let go of cable TV, I must watch my regular shows. I spend 15 hours a day on a computer the least thing I want to do is watch Videos through a Computer,
That was a concern of mine also, but the way my friend has it set up it's not like a computer thing at all - just a souped up TV media system. What's appealing is that it all runs through his Apple TV, the remote is simpler than a typical DVR remote, he says that Apple is coming out with a significantly better system soon. But I'm a bit Apple-Adverse, don't know why, just am. So I'll be looking for a Windows or other non-apple solution.

You mean DirecTV right?

2DoorImpala
07-20-2010, 7:28 PM
Most FTA receivers like Dish

kapache
07-20-2010, 7:45 PM
Direct TV put a end to that awhile ago, unless someone knows something i do not:D

Can the dish be hacked

Yes, as well for direct TV.

pat038536
07-20-2010, 8:10 PM
Since DirectV went to the P4/P5 smart card, the DirecTv hacking fell to zero.

Dish recently switched to a new encryption sequencing and the hacking is slowly going down. Dish hasn't used the HU card in a while since the last card change.

pat038536
07-20-2010, 8:12 PM
Yes, as well for direct TV.

I haven't heard of any DirecTv hacks recently. If they are out there, who ever is doing it is keeping it low key.

cindynles
07-20-2010, 8:17 PM
I can't cut the cord. I need my NFL Sunday Ticket.......Peyton will get his 2nd ring this year. He will, he will, he will.

Dangerpin
07-20-2010, 8:17 PM
I have ultra basic cable with internet service. You have to ask for the lowest end of basic, they won't advertise it. It gives only local channels and a few others but we don't care because we rarely ever watch it, and even then just sesame street for the kids.

All my television is streamed to my TV through my PS3 using a combination of Vuze and the PS3 Media Server java application.

Pyrodyne
07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
I haven't watched TV in about 10 years. I could put up an antenna but then I think of all the retarded commercials and crappy audio mastering and drop the idea like a hot potato.

I especially hate the practice of making all the shows REALLY quiet and then they jack up the volume for all of the commercials. The internet can provide with netflix, any DVD store can fill in the rest.

I never got the idea of paying extra to get more channels where you still watch ads. Also, I will never forget the herpes commercial that came on during kid's cartoons and how we had to explain (poorly) what that was to a 6 year old girl. Unforgivable.

turbogg
07-21-2010, 8:23 PM

1.) Cable

2.) Not in this lifetime!

BigBoyPinoy
07-22-2010, 10:48 PM
TWC 15-30Mbps basic cable with local HD channels $40
Panasonic BL player w/Netflix access $12
Redbox/BBbox latest movie rentals $1
Hulu/Network show streams
Over the air digital for garage/kitchen TVs

gunn
07-30-2010, 1:43 PM
I'm constantly amazed to hear when my friends tell me they pay $99-120 for cable tv/internet bundles/phone -- especialyl when they never use the phone portion but its "free".

In SF, I pay ~$45/mo for cable internet... I believe it will go to $60/mo after the first year. Hopefully, in 1 year I can get them to go down to a more reasonable price for another 12 months but we'll see.

-g

sd_shooter
07-30-2010, 3:23 PM
I would _love_ to get rid of cable (ok, we have Dish, but they are functionally equivalent.) I already have Netflix and have been able to stream their movies through our Wii, but there aren't that many good movies in their streaming library.

My requirements:
- Wife still needs to be able to watch cooking & garden shows, QVC and Fox News
- Kids need cartoons, Discovery, History and Science Channel
- Easy interface
- Final output must be to our old tube TV
- Must hear audio through our stereo
- Must be able to play back our old VCR tapes and SD DVDs
- Must be able to record shows (I'm not sure about this one, but I can see my wife wanting to keep a certain Glenn Beck show or something.)
- And how can I watch Impossible Shots? (Outdoor Ch.)

Components I already have:
- Wireless-G network throughout the house
- Nintendo Wii
- DVR with standard DVD player. This functions as the "hub" for all video streams.
- Tape VCR
- Standard Def TV
- Dish Network satellite receiver (this component would go away.)
- Audio output routed from back of TV

Questions:
- Do I need to buy or build a "Media Center" PC?
- Do I need to buy a Roku box or something similar?
- Is there a current HOWTO guide online for how to do all of this? I've googled it up and down, and everything seems to be at least 1-2 years old. Many of the streaming sites are now defunct.

high_revs
07-30-2010, 9:41 PM
[QUOTE=FastFinger;4649612]I bought a ooma voip system, ...$50/m or so. The voip quality is pretty good - not quite as clear as ATT pots, but close.

i just installed my ooma too. will be ditching comcast digital voice on monday after a 2-day test to ensure all is good, which is seems to be.

My ROI will be about 6 months. So even if the company tanks over, I'll be break even after 6 months.

Shady
07-30-2010, 10:26 PM
direct tv is the ****
time warner is the devil

Rob454
07-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I have ATT service internet, tv and home phone. I think the total bill is 80$ a month. for tv and internet and add 28$ for phone service

Abesnake
07-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I just use DTV and pay about $25/month.

OK, what's DTV? I want it.

SickofSoCal
07-30-2010, 11:26 PM
No brainwashing for me. Never had it, never will.

Thank you Mom & Dad!

Rob454
07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
No brainwashing for me. Never had it, never will.

Thank you Mom & Dad!

LOl i almost never watch any of the reality or hollywood talk or who is who or doing what in Hollywood type of shows. i watch Discovery , military channel DIY, cooking channel, and Foxnews. Most TV is lame as hell IMO but there is stuff that actually teaches you something

Abesnake
07-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I would _love_ to get rid of cable (ok, we have Dish, but they are functionally equivalent.) I already have Netflix and have been able to stream their movies through our Wii, but there aren't that many good movies in their streaming library.

My requirements:
- Wife still needs to be able to watch cooking & garden shows, QVC and Fox News
- Kids need cartoons, Discovery, History and Science Channel
- Easy interface
- Final output must be to our old tube TV
- Must hear audio through our stereo
- Must be able to play back our old VCR tapes and SD DVDs
- Must be able to record shows (I'm not sure about this one, but I can see my wife wanting to keep a certain Glenn Beck show or something.)
- And how can I watch Impossible Shots? (Outdoor Ch.)

Components I already have:
- Wireless-G network throughout the house
- Nintendo Wii
- DVR with standard DVD player. This functions as the "hub" for all video streams.
- Tape VCR
- Standard Def TV
- Dish Network satellite receiver (this component would go away.)
- Audio output routed from back of TV

Questions:
- Do I need to buy or build a "Media Center" PC?
- Do I need to buy a Roku box or something similar?
- Is there a current HOWTO guide online for how to do all of this? I've googled it up and down, and everything seems to be at least 1-2 years old. Many of the streaming sites are now defunct.

Hey Shooter, Tell the kids to read a book and get some real sophistication.

not4un
07-31-2010, 3:54 AM
Get yourself a Powerline adapter...internet will run through you powerlines in your house.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mbps-Powerline-Starter-White/dp/B001CF4ATY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280573655&sr=8-5

not4un
07-31-2010, 3:59 AM
I also gave up directv a yr ago and haven't looked back. We do netflix for $9.74 a month and stream directly to our nintendo wii and hulu. I have ATT uverse internet only at 3mb per/sec. for $35.00 a month works just fine.

twinfin
07-31-2010, 3:55 PM
I got rid of my TV in 1993 and never looked back. It's the best decision I ever made. Books are so much better and don't come with commercials. TV imagery provokes the emotions while reading stimulates the intellectual mind as well as sharpens your ability to reason and think critically.

Eventually, I married a woman who never owned a TV. We continue to maintain a TV free life, unburdened by the hours of exposure to commercials and provocative visual imagery that forces you to process what you see in the emotional realm rather than the intellectual realm. This is an important point!

By book reading far and wide, you can discover so much more about global warming, national politics, science and history than you could ever get from watching anything on TV. Reading is so much more relaxing for me and I find that it is very easy to spot deceptions and false information that is so common in TV based news reporting with it's 4 second sound bites and flashy imagery.

I strongly encourage you to consider going TV free. Try it for one year. Get that evil black box out of your house and just try one year of not even having a TV on the premises. You will likely find that whatever you find yourself doing instead of watching TV will in the end, be more valuable to you than any TV show you ever remembered watching.

Who will take my challenge?

Twinfin

vahtryn
07-31-2010, 4:10 PM
I grew up without television. I've never paid a cable provider for television, just the interwebs for information and my career.

With that said, there are some shows that I do enjoy watching, and I watch through other mediums due to high speed internet.

I pay 45 bucks for a 30 meg cable modem. Why add another 100 bucks on for 900 channels of crap that will take away my ability to read more often and work on personal projects in order to earn money off of them or benefit society?

Wherryj
08-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Our Dish bill just went up from $85 to $110. Talking to a buddy about that and he mentione that he's dumping his DirecTV, and not getting Dish or Cable. His thinking is that it cheaper to just get a Netfix account, and that pretty much every worthwhile series is available over the net.

No I understand that whatever plan I get must fit my particular viewing patter. Which is that I can go years w/o watching any sports, I seldom watch news, and we usually don't "surf", we have a few shows that we target TIVO, and hardly ever plop ourselves in front of the TV and just watch the least objectionable show.

We do like Breaking Bad - HBO programming, movies, a few cable reality shows, an an occasional network show. Probaly 10 or so hours per week.

A problem is that we have a large screen with HDMI, but so far I don't even have internet access in my living room (which is where our only tv is located).

He has Apple TV, a home server, Apple WiFi etc.

I'm thinking of building a server/pc with hefty HT support.

Don't dump dish and go to Comcast to save money. Comcast is perhaps the fastest option, but it is also mostly likely the costliest.

I was recently trying to dump Comcast to save money. I set up a Uverse order (if you are looking to save, consider Uverse-or if you're REALLY lucky and have access to Verizon Fios).

Unfortunately I've had SERIOUS issues with AT&T's lack of customer service. It took well over an hour on the phone to set it up on Tuesday. I gave contact info numbers for my home and the office. Apparantly someone named "Wayne" called on Thursday during the afternoon (when at least SOME people work?) and just left a message, "this is Wayne from AT&T calling about your order, call me back."

He repeated the call to my office, also failing to leave a message. I never HAD their number, so called back on the AT&T number that I called and no one could help. I get home THE SAME DAY to a message, "we couldn't reach you. We needed to reschedule your installation (it was still 14 days away) so we cancelled your order. You'll have to call back to re-order," Calls to several customer service reps at AT&T not only led to the understanding that "we can't do anything", but they "We won't do anything".

I would stay away from AT&T. If this is how they treat a customer in the "honeymoon phase", imagine what you get when you are on a contract.

I'd say go Direct TV. We never had issues with their service-aside from having had a HD receiver go bad while we already had a contract. DTV won't help an established customer (anyone remember the days of an HD receiver costing $999?), so I had to drop the service and go to Comcast to avoid a $1000 equipment replacement.

Wherryj
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I grew up without television. I've never paid a cable provider for television, just the interwebs for information and my career.

With that said, there are some shows that I do enjoy watching, and I watch through other mediums due to high speed internet.

I pay 45 bucks for a 30 meg cable modem. Why add another 100 bucks on for 900 channels of crap that will take away my ability to read more often and work on personal projects in order to earn money off of them or benefit society?

Wow, you get 30 MB cable for $45? Comcast would charge about $5000 a month for that service...

advocatusdiaboli
08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
We are an Apple house: me, wife, 2 daughters. I hooked their Wii up to the Apple WiFi and we stream Netflix. I suppose I could use Hulu too, but I won't pay for it. We've had ATT/Yahoo internet for the last 4 years and it works reliably--maybe down 3 hours a year on average.

We haven't had commercial television access for 13 years now--every since we unplugged it when our oldest daughter was 6 month old. Don't miss it at all. Especially annoying, time wasting commercials. I get all the news I can stand on-line.

We all read more, get outdoors more, spend more time talking, play with the dogs more--in short we live our own lives more instead of watching those of others, real or imaginary. try it--it's your life, stop watching some else's and live your own.

qaz5109
08-10-2010, 6:51 PM
ATT treats their employees like trash and that directly effects the customer the techs dont want to fix your service inspite of att other then that my uverse only freezes all day and all night even after multiple dispatches,i wish fta would come back but after the new nagra came out that has been down the tube maybe ill get the timewarner and use a surf board to get 30mb and free tv or keep uverse internet and go with direct

Ding126
08-10-2010, 9:04 PM
Can you use a digital set of rabbit ears and get very basic TV for free?