PDA

View Full Version : Boar Hunting in SoCal

bigstick61
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
So I've been considering boar hunting for my first hunt. I want to eat what I shoot and I really don't like the taste of deer.

Can anyone recommend public land to hunt boar in SoCal that is NOT in the lead-free zones? Any recommendations on hunting this particular animal?

I would assume my .303 British Lee-Enfield would be sufficient using my 215 grain or 180 grain rounds.

makomyday
07-20-2010, 7:57 AM
Big horn canyon ranch.

180ls1
07-20-2010, 8:01 AM
I cant give you advice on where to hunt but yes your gun should do just fine.

Big Jake
07-20-2010, 9:31 AM
Big horn canyon ranch.

A canned hunt, but I have heard good things about them!

professionalcoyotehunter
07-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Tejon Ranch also but the cost could add up pretty quickly.

Annonymous
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Tejon is lead free, though.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Most of Socal is lead free where the hogs are.

ScottB
07-20-2010, 10:42 AM

Tejon requires lead free bullets.

Look at the condor map on the DFG site, note the counties and areas outside of it and look for outfitters there. Or, book a hunt in Texas. Lots of pigs there.

bigstick61
07-20-2010, 7:27 PM
Anywhere where the pigs roam free and I don't to pay someone to hunt on the land? I can't afford the prices I might find at one of these hunts if the prices I've heard from others are accurate. I had heard a rumor about there being boars on public land in the San Diego area somewhere, but I don't know where exactly or how true that is.

ScottB
07-20-2010, 7:42 PM
They are mainly in a drainage on an indian reservation where they were illegally released. Once in a blue moon someone whacks one off the reservation.

You could try Fort Hunter Ligget. Not free but reasonable.

Ls1FALimpala
07-20-2010, 8:16 PM
Big horn canyon ranch.

anymore feedback on them?

180ls1
07-20-2010, 9:06 PM

I have been there once when i was starting out. It is a super easy hunt, and not much of a challenge at all. You just set up and wait for the pigs to come out of a bush or bedding area you shoot it. But it was fun, i would suggest trying with a bow or pistol if you have one and if you dont have any luck then just shoot one with a rifle.

are you on ls1tech?

Point of Impact
07-20-2010, 9:28 PM

I've hunted there a few times, stayed overnight on my last hunt there. The guys who run it are pretty friendly. If you camp overnight and take an animal, there is no fee for the camp. They have a bunk house to sleep in but I opted to sleep outside under the stars.

As for the hunt, it is what you make it. I think this is the excellent, cost efficient way to get your feet wet in the hunting scene. Yeah, pigs will walk right up to you but thats because they are used to seeing people. Make no mistake, some can get pretty nasty, I experienced it first hand. I say just pick your shot, look for pigs at a distance, it will make it a bit more exciting. The ranch has some nice terrain so be prepared to hike. If you shoot, one of the ranch hands will drive around the ranch to help you transport the pig up to the camp/office area where you can dress the animal or have them do it.

As far as cost, for me it works. No licence needed, its about an hour drive away so fuel costs to destination are minimal. No need for lodging because of distance to home. I pretty much wake up the morning of the hunt, head out, hunt and head home. Much cheaper than Tejon. Hope this helps.

bigstick61
07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
My problem is I cannot afford the $350 for a hunt.

TonyMang_89
07-21-2010, 6:55 AM
My problem is I cannot afford the $350 for a hunt.

I'm with you man, I would love to go on a boar hunt but cant swing that price.

keep me posted if you find some on public land

professionalcoyotehunter
07-21-2010, 7:29 AM
I have a friend who can raise on fro you cheaper than we can release it in the desert and you can shoot it.:D It is the same as hunting BHCR.

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2010, 7:34 AM
I have never hunted pigs but, I was recently informed of a potential spot on public land. I hope to scout it soon. What do you have against lead free ammo? If you want, I can help you load some. You will need to buy .303 dies and .311-.312 dia lead free bullets. We can probably come up with a load that'll cost you under a dollar a round.

Cpl_Peters
07-21-2010, 9:37 AM
i've beeen to these socal areas in san diego that are supposed to have free roaming pigs on public land. the cost i have spent in gas the multiple times i have gone there and come back empty handed i could have just as easily paid the 350 and been done with it.

I have never even seen a wild pig on public land and very few signs of them either. From what i hear the wild pigs in that area arnt stupid and they mostly hang out on the private land and indian reservations. If you are looking for a challenge, then hunt the public land, but 9 times out of 10 you will come back empty handed. Hunting a private ranch is the way to go if you are looking for pigs in california, and it can usually end up being cheaper in the long run.

also if you dont like the taste of deer, you might not like the taste of wild pig. it doesnt taste like the stuff that you buy at the store. just fyi

incredablehefey
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I have a friend who can raise on fro you cheaper than we can release it in the desert and you can shoot it.:D It is the same as hunting BHCR.

pretty close
the hunt there is what you make of it, yes there are a lot of animals there and yes they will come to the feeders if you hide, but when i went they wanted nothing to do with humans and as it turned out i had to hike for 3 hours to find the pig that i would eventually shoot, i was looking for the biggest pig there so i passed on quite a few pigs along the way. When i spotted the pig i was going to shoot he was about 80 yards away and through dense brush, so i had to get closer and when i did the pig along with a friend had helped close the distance, 2 pigs were standing about 20 yards away from me staring at me as i came around from behind cover and by the time i had raised my rifle they were booking it so i took the shot sighting down the side of the barrel(at 20 yards my scope was useless) at the bigger of the two and down he went

short story long, i had a great time and it was a great first hunt, well worth the money, i doubt i will ever go back but if i do it will be with a pistol, think if would be cool to drop a pig with a .50 DE

btw you will never find a wild Russian boar 1/2 the size of the average pig at BHCR in the wild

bigstick61
07-21-2010, 9:05 PM
i've beeen to these socal areas in san diego that are supposed to have free roaming pigs on public land. the cost i have spent in gas the multiple times i have gone there and come back empty handed i could have just as easily paid the 350 and been done with it.

I have never even seen a wild pig on public land and very few signs of them either. From what i hear the wild pigs in that area arnt stupid and they mostly hang out on the private land and indian reservations. If you are looking for a challenge, then hunt the public land, but 9 times out of 10 you will come back empty handed. Hunting a private ranch is the way to go if you are looking for pigs in california, and it can usually end up being cheaper in the long run.

also if you dont like the taste of deer, you might not like the taste of wild pig. it doesnt taste like the stuff that you buy at the store. just fyi

I do like a challenge, although I would like to learn the ropes a bit before taking on something too challenging. I am not at all a fan of canned hunts, hunts involving sitting in a stand, or anything like that. IMO the animal should not readily present itself and you should have to seek it, find and follow its spoor, and then take it without the use of accessories you have to carry (like shooting sticks; seems to be a big trend right now if you watch the hunting shows) and do so from reasonable ranges with an appropriate weapon.

As for the meat, I have had meat from a wild boar and I liked it very much, better than pork from the store actually. My dad's HS friend took it in an area that is now lead free but back then was not; he hunts in the lead-free zone. It was a pretty hefty boar, too.

bigstick61
07-21-2010, 9:17 PM
I have never hunted pigs but, I was recently informed of a potential spot on public land. I hope to scout it soon. What do you have against lead free ammo? If you want, I can help you load some. You will need to buy .303 dies and .311-.312 dia lead free bullets. We can probably come up with a load that'll cost you under a dollar a round.

My issue with lead free ammo was the absurd costs I have seen (no way in hell I'm paying $40-$60 for 20 rounds) and also the very hard time I've had finding anything in .303 (.311-.312), much less other calibers with uncommon bullets (.310-.312, .33) either in terms of bullets or loaded ammo. robaroni PMed me with a link to some reasonably priced ammo made by AccuSwage, but I know nothing about them, but their prices are actually lower than what .303 hunting ammo, especially the good stuff, usually costs, although I can't find a site selling their .311 bullets by themselves.

Right now I don't have the money to get invested in reloading, although I have thought about getting a Lee Classic Loader, which I can get for less than the cost of a set of dies. I also am not sure where I can buy Varget locally (I have heard this is the best stuff for .303); hazmat fees make online purchases prohibitive in terms of cost.

If I can get what I need, though, maybe we can meet up at one of the upcoming reenactments. Are you in the Richmond Howitzers? I may have the things I need by the time Moorpark comes along, will you be going to that one? We could probably set a little reloading table up after the public is gone or leaving; I have a bunch of paper cartridges pre-loaded, so I don't have to spend my time doing that, fortunately. I appreciate your offer.

Paradiddle
07-22-2010, 8:35 AM
My issue with lead free ammo was the absurd costs I have seen (no way in hell I'm paying $40-$60 for 20 rounds) and also the very hard time I've had finding anything in .303 (.311-.312), much less other calibers with uncommon bullets (.310-.312, .33) either in terms of bullets or loaded ammo. robaroni PMed me with a link to some reasonably priced ammo made by AccuSwage, but I know nothing about them, but their prices are actually lower than what .303 hunting ammo, especially the good stuff, usually costs, although I can't find a site selling their .311 bullets by themselves.

Right now I don't have the money to get invested in reloading, although I have thought about getting a Lee Classic Loader, which I can get for less than the cost of a set of dies. I also am not sure where I can buy Varget locally (I have heard this is the best stuff for .303); hazmat fees make online purchases prohibitive in terms of cost.

If I can get what I need, though, maybe we can meet up at one of the upcoming reenactments. Are you in the Richmond Howitzers? I may have the things I need by the time Moorpark comes along, will you be going to that one? We could probably set a little reloading table up after the public is gone or leaving; I have a bunch of paper cartridges pre-loaded, so I don't have to spend my time doing that, fortunately. I appreciate your offer.

If you are looking at Lee stuff show with these people - http://www.kempfgunshop.com/ - I found them on The High Road - they have FANTASTIC customer service and know their stuff. They have a classic turret package that is a great deal. You can get your dies and everything so you only pay shipping once. Get your primers and powder locally and you are GTG.

Jeff

CSACANNONEER
07-22-2010, 8:45 AM

Yep, I've been with the RH for 11 years now. Are you a Howitzer? The cost of reloading equipment is not as much as you think. For less than $100 you can get a decent set up. I would stay clear of the Lee Classic Loader stuff and just get a Lee hand press, Lee dies, Lee scale, Possum hollow trimmer, Lee hand primer, etc. Actually, I may be able to come up with a couple used items for you. I'm don't think I'm going to make it to LB but, I can not miss Moorpark. Too bad I moved. I used to live within earshot of the moorpark site. We could have run over there and loaded on a bench. Oh well.

StephenhDMRS
07-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Are you pretty much guaranteed to get a boar at big horn canyon ranch? Obviously a lot of varying factors go into it. And also, how much usuable meat do you end up getting? Lets say for a 200-250 lb pig.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-22-2010, 10:09 AM
You get about 50-60% of meat unless you are me and eat just about everything.

bigstick61
07-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Yep, I've been with the RH for 11 years now. Are you a Howitzer? The cost of reloading equipment is not as much as you think. For less than $100 you can get a decent set up. I would stay clear of the Lee Classic Loader stuff and just get a Lee hand press, Lee dies, Lee scale, Possum hollow trimmer, Lee hand primer, etc. Actually, I may be able to come up with a couple used items for you. I'm don't think I'm going to make it to LB but, I can not miss Moorpark. Too bad I moved. I used to live within earshot of the moorpark site. We could have run over there and loaded on a bench. Oh well.

No, I'm a 10th New Yorker (zouave). I've been with them for 12 years now.

The reason why I could get the Lee Classic Loader and not all the other equipment is the cost. I would have to buy one piece at a time over the course of several months to afford it. I just can't afford right now to put more than $100 down on something most of the time, and right now not even that much. That's really my only obstacle to reloading. That and the fact that I can still get just about all of my calibers (in terms of ball ammo) for prices lower than what it would cost to reload them, and that's using spent brass, although sadly most of my brass is Berdan primed. For $20 and the price of a suitable hammer I can get started with the Classic Loader. I had never thought you could get a more conventional reloading setup for under $100. If that's the case I may well consider that later this year (perhaps by Moorpark I'll be making more money; being grossly underemployed sucks).

mnguyen84
07-22-2010, 5:56 PM
i just bought a lee kit. when u get the stuff and the dies, u should spray some brake/carb cleaner to rinse it... lots of left over metal bits/debris from being machined.