PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Sig in .45 or Desert Eagle .50ae

freonr22
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
So, somebody owes me some $$. I dont remember if it was $900 or $1300 from over 5 years ago. they dont have any cash, I am not sure if I will have the choice, but I might between the 2. Possibly. Wednesday I will find out, and honestly, I will be happy to get anything as I will otherwise get nothing. They may let me choose one, the other .

Desert Eagle def has a coolness factor, but I am not sure about practicality (I do/ can reload) but magazines are gonna be expensive I would gather.
Maybe the Sig is more practical, is one better quality than the other?

I do have an AMT longslide hardballer in .45 so the sig would consolidate calibers, although, my brother mentioned, "you already have a .45, get the .50"

Also, these pistols were purchased new in Idaho, 4-5 years ago, hes been in California for some time, never vol. registered. Can they have stayed out of state until I take ownership, at a friends house in Idaho, then go to an ffl there, get sent to an ffl here, and then do a ppt? (no longer a resident of Idaho)?

Thank you for the time to read this

shoupdawg
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
The 50 cal. Just for fun.

Dhena81
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Get the Deagle and sell it and get a sig p226 in 9mm and shoot it more than you would with the 50. The Deagle is not a practical gun I honestly can't think of a reason that you would need such a powerful handgun cartridge its expensive to shoot that's for sure. If you want a powerful handgun buy a wheel gun much cooler IMO than the Deagle. I've seen them jam a lot at the range almost every mag I don't know if it's because people don't break them in enough because ammo is so expensive or if they don't properly lube them up.

Kelvrick
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I really like my desert eagle 44mag. I just like owning it. It rarely comes out to the range with me and I only need 1 magazine for it. Maybe it is just me with the girly arms, but I can't imagine holding that hunk of metal steady past a magazine worth.

rimfire78
07-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Put a muzzle brake on it and some wheels. Then you can just sit next to it and pull the string.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/rimfire78/deagle.jpg

bjl333
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
D.E. fosho !!

SixtyDashOne
07-19-2010, 10:59 PM
I've seen them jam a lot at the range almost every mag I don't know if it's because people don't break them in enough because ammo is so expensive or if they don't properly lube them up.

Most likely due to limp-wristing.

I have a DE in .50AE and it's definitely fun to take out every now and then, but I don't shoot it much because I don't reload and the ammo is expensive. Between the two though, I still say go with the DE and if you ultimately decide it's not for you then it should be pretty easy to find a buyer for it.

mif_slim
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
yeah, get the DE and sell it then buy whatever you like.

I owned a 44mag DE before... stayed in the safe for 9/10th of it's before I sold it. I took it out to hunt once....never again.

it's purely cool factor only pistol.

freonr22
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
any thoughts on the transfer aspect?

Rob Roy
07-19-2010, 11:59 PM
DE for sure!!!

Quiet
07-20-2010, 12:55 AM
any thoughts on the transfer aspect?

If the current owner is a CA resident, just do a PPT.
Even though he did not send in a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report when he moved here, the handgun can be PPT'd now that he is a CA resident.

If the current owner is non-CA resident and/or the handgun is being shipped, the handgun needs to be on the approved list.
The MRI Desert Eagle in .50AE is not on the approved list.

Federal laws prohibits you from taking possession/ownership of a handgun in another state.

freonr22
07-20-2010, 4:08 AM
Thank you Quiet! so no penalties on his end, Cool!

Miltiades
07-20-2010, 7:19 AM
I'd rather have a Sig .45 than a Desert Eagle .50 - it is a much more practical gun from the standpoint of ammo cost and availability. I'm not sure what I would use the Desert Eagle for.

I see that the main advantage cited for the Desert Eagle is "cool". I'm getting too old, as the term "cool" referred to a temperature between room temperature and cold when I was learning the language. In all these years hearing juveniles use the term "cool", I haven't quite figured out the definition.

tonelar
07-20-2010, 7:29 AM
if you're only .45 is an AMT Long Slide / you gotta shoot a SIG P220. If his is a German made sheet metal P220, it's a must have IMHO.

If it's an external extractor milled slide P220, go for the Desert Eagle (you can always sell it for enough to find a nice condition W German Sig P220).

However I own a Desert Eagle from the IMI days and that thing is a blast to shoot in either .44mag or .50AE. Most of the ftf and fte, I've witnessed were people shooting reloads that felt stingy on the powder to me. I'd pop in a couple factory shells and Boom Boom Boom, gun functions flawlessly.

Andy Taylor
07-20-2010, 7:30 AM
I have a Sig P220 .45 and will never let it go. Fantastic pistol. Thats what I chose in the poll.
I've never owned a Deagle, but a close friend has had a .44 that he bought new probably 15-17 years ago.
It is the most useless handgun I have ever seen or shot. Needs to be cleaned every 2-3 mags to keep shooting. Very ammo sensitive.
He loves it, rarely shoots it. Just thinks it looks cool, which it does.
That said, unless you want the P220, you would be better to get the Deagle and sell it. You will be money ahead, and you can then buy whatever gun (or anything else, for that matter) you want.

lazs
07-20-2010, 8:36 AM
Really.. think about it.

Do you really want people who know about guns to see you with a DE?

gorenut
07-20-2010, 8:55 AM
This is what I say.. if you can find someone to actually buy the DE from you.. get that and then sell it. Yes it is worth more.. but I am betting it is MUCH harder to sell. Its a niche market and while I wouldn't be as judgmental as some... what lazs says does ring a little truth. You'll no doubt mostly impress video gamers and action film dreamers.. but the practical shooter will most likely chuckle and think "why?" Not that you should care what others think, but seeing how you've come to ask our opinions - you aren't all that passionate/sold on the idea of getting a DE.

For no hassle, a good gun, and def easier potential to sell, go with the SIG

freonr22
07-20-2010, 9:08 AM
Thanks all, Thats Kinda what I thought, and leaned to. I know the Sig has a rail, but unsure ss or blue, or compact/ etc. I will be seeing them what he brings Wed and go from there. Thanks so much for the input!!

leelaw
07-20-2010, 9:11 AM
Due to the roster, and the obscurity of the caliber and just fun factor of the pistol, I'd go with the Desert Eagle. If you didn't already have a .45, I'd say to get the Sig (sounds like a modern milled model if it has the rail) instead.

chickenfried
07-20-2010, 9:11 AM
If you were just starting out I'd say get the Sig. Since you already have a collection of guns I'd say get the DE. I thought it was a silly gun and made fun of my friend for getting one. Then I took his to the range, what a fun gun. More accurate and comfortable to shoot than I expected.

AIMSMALL
07-20-2010, 9:26 AM
if you're only .45 is an AMT Long Slide / you gotta shoot a SIG P220. If his is a German made sheet metal P220, it's a must have IMHO.

If it's an external extractor milled slide P220, go for the Desert Eagle (you can always sell it for enough to find a nice condition W German Sig P220).

So my P220 is W. German, but how do I tell if it's sheet metal or milled. It's about 3 years old and if I had to guess it looks milled to me..?

Edit: duh, the external extractor... It threw me off because it says made in germany on it.

leelaw
07-20-2010, 9:45 AM
So my P220 is W. German, but how do I tell if it's sheet metal or milled. It's about 3 years old and if I had to guess it looks milled to me..?

Your P220 probably is American made, milled, at that age.

Oldnoob
07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Get the DE, fire a box or two, sell it and get yourself something that you want, perhaps a NIB Sig 220.

rimfire78
07-20-2010, 7:39 PM
This is what I say.. if you can find someone to actually buy the DE from you.. get that and then sell it. Yes it is worth more.. but I am betting it is MUCH harder to sell. Its a niche market and while I wouldn't be as judgmental as some... what lazs says does ring a little truth. You'll no doubt mostly impress video gamers and action film dreamers.. but the practical shooter will most likely chuckle and think "why?" Not that you should care what others think, but seeing how you've come to ask our opinions - you aren't all that passionate/sold on the idea of getting a DE.

For no hassle, a good gun, and def easier potential to sell, go with the SIG

Every time someone puts one up on here, it's snatched up almost instantly.
Plus, what does practical shooter mean? He's not going to hunt with a sig, which you could do with a DE. That's practical. He's not likely going to get a ccw most places in this state any time soon, so the size and weight factors aren't a problem. His chances of EVER having to use any kind of weapon to defend his home are next to nothing, but if he had to - would it be more practical to shoot an intruder once, or 2, 3 ,4 times?
And everytime I've gone to the range with my DE, I've had compliments by everyone from old salty shooters, to kids, to rangemasters. And I've had a lot of polite requests to take a shot with it.
Listen, I own several pistols. The DE wouldn't be my firts choice if I were only going to own one. But it evens out my collection, and it's more fun to shoot (by a mile) and is more acurate than any other pistol I (or you) own.
And why would you chuckle? Are you some kind of sherry sipping, gold plated ppk shooter who fancies himself an upper class politico?
Or is it that you'd secretly like to own one but can't scrape together the cash?
Shooting=FUN, get over yourself.

freonr22
07-21-2010, 6:14 PM
ok, well, i met him today, and it wasnt discussed, but ended up with the p220st. I have never held, one. But Pretty cool. Yes the Deagle would have been awesome and worth more, but, Hey, he's a stand up guy (6 years Late), so now its off to do a ppt :). So i read EVERY thread under search for p220st and it seems they have a very nice following, really nothing negative!! So, I have a $700 new aquisition in 10 days, and thats ok in my book!! woo hoo!!

Now I will maybe give this one to the wife? or maybe the hardballer as it might rack alot easier..

And THANK YOU TO ALL for the input. it was sincerely appreciated.

ETA. It ended up being an internal extractor, with the std rail mfg'd 2002 maybe 1500 rounds through it

kduly
07-21-2010, 6:31 PM
DE would have been nice for the "cool factor" but that too will fade, can't go wrong with the P220ST. Reliable & soft shooting 45. You're going to love it. Congrats!

rimfire78
07-21-2010, 7:03 PM
congrats! Have fun with it.

freonr22
08-10-2010, 7:10 PM
shot it yesterday @ friend's property... pretty cool! hitting co2 soda keg moa @ 50-60 yards, first tries! woo hoo!! although i might like some slimmer grips maybe, any thoughts that arent the $175 Nils? maybe a $40ish-$65ish range?

Black Majik
08-10-2010, 8:04 PM
Check out Rocco grips. They're imitation Nills but still very very cool.

Andy Taylor
08-10-2010, 8:11 PM
Congrats.

freonr22
08-10-2010, 8:40 PM
Thanks on the Rocco tip!