PDA

View Full Version : quick stupid question?

jordan870
07-19-2010, 8:44 PM
i have been invited by my aunt to hunt deer on her property around eureka, ca. and another property near Petrolia, ca. she isnt liking the deer eat her apples and yard.

is that zone B4?
and how do you get deer tags never done that before?

Cire 5th
07-19-2010, 8:47 PM
If you haven't before you're first step would be a Hunter's Education Course once. I go to mine this Saturday :D. THen after you pass the test then you are able to get your Hunter's License. As far as tags are concerned I haven't gone that far yet. All I know is I am goiing rabbit hunting in August and you don't need tags for those. Good Luck...lucky you.

77bawls
07-19-2010, 9:08 PM
If you haven't before you're first step would be a Hunter's Education Course once. I go to mine this Saturday :D. THen after you pass the test then you are able to get your Hunter's License. As far as tags are concerned I haven't gone that far yet. All I know is I am goiing rabbit hunting in August and you don't need tags for those. Good Luck...lucky you.

I think cottontail is upland game so you would need an upland game stamp. Could be wrong I'll have to look.

Edit: Rabbit is upland and the season is from July 1 - Jan 31 daily bag limit of 5 and 10 possession limit.

Source http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/09-10-upland-sum.html

77bawls
07-19-2010, 9:21 PM
OP here is a list of the number of tags left. I think all zones go by raffle but if there are plenty of tags you can still get one.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/biggame/deertagsavailable.html

5shot
07-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I think cottontail is upland game so you would need an upland game stamp. Could be wrong I'll have to look.

Edit: Rabbit is upland and the season is from July 1 - Jan 31 daily bag limit of 5 and 10 possession limit.

Source http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/09-10-upland-sum.html

Actually, rabbits are one of the few things you can hunt without any stamps or tags. "Upland Game Bird Stamp" is required for game birds.

77bawls
07-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh okay they split it up "upland/small" game. So I take it you need the stamp for upland but not for the small. On the DFG site they are grouped in one list.

Thefeeder
07-20-2010, 1:03 AM
i have been invited by my aunt to hunt deer on her property around eureka, ca. and another property near Petrolia, ca. she isnt liking the deer eat her apples and yard.

is that zone B4?
and how do you get deer tags never done that before?

Go to any sporting goods store and buy a deer tag application...send it in to the address on the app (Sacramento F&G)....tag comes to you in the mail in about a week.......All "B" zones are no longer sub divided.....a "B" tag is good in all B zones.

jordan870
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
i have had my hunting liscence for years now. just never deer hunted.

so just walk into big five and get an application? does it cost?
thanks everyone

Big Jake
07-20-2010, 1:00 PM

thanks everyone

The application itself is free, however, the tags/application fee still applies! I think you can download the application from the DFG website and mail it in directly to them, but I don't know for sure!

edwardm
07-20-2010, 1:07 PM

thanks everyone

They ding you for the cost of the tag via paying for the tag application when you go to Big 5 (or whatever) to buy the app.

1. Go to Big 5, pay for the tag app.
2. Send in tag app.
3. Wait.
4. Receive tag.
5. Hunt!

;)

Hrod8715
07-20-2010, 7:13 PM
I usually go directly to my local DFG office and take care of it all there. No waiting for the mail man.

lewdogg21
07-20-2010, 7:43 PM
Jordan, drive to the DFG office in natomas with your license.

jordan870
07-21-2010, 11:41 AM
ok thanks everyone.
Is there any doe tags for the B zones?? if not can i get one of those depredation things for my aunt so i can shoot a doe?

CSACANNONEER
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh okay they split it up "upland/small" game. So I take it you need the stamp for upland but not for the small. On the DFG site they are grouped in one list.

Huh? They did not split anything up. It's been like this for many years. There has NEVER been an "upland game" stamp in California. There has been an "upland BIRD" stamp for years though.

mif_slim
07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
depending on were you are, you cam go directly to a dfg location and buy andrecieve the tag right away with no waiting. I do that all the time in sacto and Fresno.

lewdogg21
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Doe tags are like the good public land hunting in San Diego for pigs.

Urban legend. As far as depredation permits go I don't know the policy on how to apply. I doubt you can walk into a DFG saying your aunt owns this ranch and get any. You can inquire on how she can get them when you go into DFG though.

norcal01
07-21-2010, 2:23 PM
I grew up in that area and have been hunting B-zone my whole life. I've inquired about depredation permits at the local DFG office for reasons similar to yours. According to the warden I spoke with you technically can get one but you have to show that you are suffering an economic loss and that you've taken other steps to prevent the animal damage, i.e. high fences for deer. It's a little easier if the animal is considered dangerous like a bear or mountain lion. I'll see if I can find out more for you but he made it sound like it was basically one of those things that was never gonna happen. That being said, if you're going to be hunting and don't have a lot of experience I'd be happy to go with you, even if I'm not hunting. I'm always glad to get out in the woods and help someone learn how to hunt.

jordan870
07-21-2010, 5:48 PM
thanks everyone for your input i will try to get my tags tomorrow if not then this weekend. i am just going to drive to the place in sacramento where i applied for some turkey hunts haha.

jordan870
07-21-2010, 5:50 PM
I grew up in that area and have been hunting B-zone my whole life. I've inquired about depredation permits at the local DFG office for reasons similar to yours. According to the warden I spoke with you technically can get one but you have to show that you are suffering an economic loss and that you've taken other steps to prevent the animal damage, i.e. high fences for deer. It's a little easier if the animal is considered dangerous like a bear or mountain lion. I'll see if I can find out more for you but he made it sound like it was basically one of those things that was never gonna happen. That being said, if you're going to be hunting and don't have a lot of experience I'd be happy to go with you, even if I'm not hunting. I'm always glad to get out in the woods and help someone learn how to hunt.

thanks thats what i figured but i still wanted to ask. sorry my aunt is only letting me take one person and that person has already been picked. sorry. thanks for the offer.

any advice maybe on that actual zone. i have read a lot but it seems to say the same thing about the B4 zone.

Shoot-it
07-21-2010, 7:04 PM
Just letting you know legal bucks are One fork on one side at least and it has to be big enough to hang a ring.Since it is private look for the biggest buck possible! good luck
make sure you post your buck when you get one.

What kind of rifle and cal are you using?

duckman1
07-22-2010, 7:57 AM
Typically with a depredation permit you cannot keep the meat, horns, hide etc. Certain animals must be immediately surrendered to a Fish and Game officer. (Bears, Moutain Lions and maybe others).

norcal01
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
If you're low enough in elevation that the fog doesn't burn off early the deer tend to stay out later in the morning, at least in my experience. If it's foggy the night before I try to hunt as much as possible in the early morning and not as much in the evening. If it's clear and warm then the opposite seems to be true and I'll do most of my hunting in the evening. I've also had luck walking creeks, pretty much right in the water, if there's a field nearby. Shot a really nice four-point that way two years ago, he stood up and looked at me from about 15 yards away and didn't move until I shot him. I think they tend to bed down between water and food so if you can find a trail leading from a field to a water source that would be a good spot to watch. Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious.

wjc
07-22-2010, 9:46 PM
Huh? They did not split anything up. It's been like this for many years. There has NEVER been an "upland game" stamp in California. There has been an "upland BIRD" stamp for years though.

<looking at my 2011 hunting license>

Ha! You're both wrong!

It says "California Upland Game Bird Stamp"

:p

pdq_wizzard
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Just letting you know legal bucks are One fork on one side at least and it has to be big enough to hang a ring.Since it is private look for the biggest buck possible! good luck
make sure you post your buck when you get one.

What kind of rifle and cal are you using?

you can't eat the horns, take what you can get :D so long as it is legal