PDA

View Full Version : Went squirreling

SexPistol
07-19-2010, 5:45 PM
Went out to my buddies ranch in Hollister this past weekend and we hiked around his property with our AR's and clips of many looking for some squirrels to shoot. Needless to say they were EVERYWHERE and it was a lot of fun. There was a lot of little guys running around that are hard to get(sometimes :43:) but some big ones out too. We spotted one about 245 yards out on a bluff that was so big we thought it was a rabbit at first. My buddy called dibs on that one and missed the shot haha. Anyways we made a fair dent in massive ground squirrel infestation on his ranch and had a good time. Here's a crappy picture off my phone of 2 of the many I got. Not very exciting but this thread needs more pictures and stories.

http://i30.tinypic.com/33l2q9h.jpg

Big Jake
07-19-2010, 5:59 PM
Went out to my buddies ranch in Hollister this past weekend and we hiked around his property with our AR's and clips of many looking for some squirrels to shoot. Needless to say they were EVERYWHERE and it was a lot of fun. There was a lot of little guys running around that are hard to get(sometimes :43:) but some big ones out too. We spotted one about 245 yards out on a bluff that was so big we thought it was a rabbit at first. My buddy called dibs on that one and missed the shot haha. Anyways we made a fair dent in massive ground squirrel infestation on his ranch and had a good time. Here's a crappy picture off my phone of 2 of the many I got. Not very exciting but this thread needs more pictures and stories.

http://i30.tinypic.com/33l2q9h.jpg

Nice shooting. FYI, the term "Clips" is not correct. Refer to them as "Magazines or Mags".

Just sayin! :D

Black Majik
07-19-2010, 6:02 PM
Nice kills! :thumbsup:

Squirreling is a lot of fun.

Big Jake
07-19-2010, 6:18 PM
I am going to report you to PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals! :eek:

lewdogg21
07-19-2010, 6:31 PM
awesome job.

Cire 5th
07-19-2010, 6:35 PM
Nice shot on those Ground Squirrels.

That brings up a question I have been meaning to get answered.

I also got an air rifle .177 caliber. I really just use it to keep varmints away from my backyard and on trash day - Possums, Racoons, Feral cats. I don't know why I never researched this before. Probably because it never interested me until I got my AR15, but anyway, every year I go camping at a particular state park. Boy do they got squirrels everywhere. I think they are Tree Squirrels. Is it ok to shoot them as long as you have hunting license? Should I go ask the Park Ranger? If he says no then I don't want to open up a can of worms here. I got a copy of CA Reg Mammal Hunting booklet 09-10 and it does say you can hunt Tree Squirrels as long as it falls in the area specified. The campground does and it is a state park. So would I be able to shoot them on my campground if I see one scurry away?

Thanks in advance.

Other than "Tree" and "Ground" what is the difference between Tree Squirrels and Ground Squirrels?.

DanielinNapa
07-19-2010, 6:56 PM
Are you gonna make Zipppers, squirrel it's what's for dinner.

LloydXmas250
07-19-2010, 7:02 PM
Nice shot on those Ground Squirrels.

That brings up a question I have been meaning to get answered.

I also got an air rifle .177 caliber. I really just use it to keep varmints away from my backyard and on trash day - Possums, Racoons, Feral cats. I don't know why I never researched this before. Probably because it never interested me until I got my AR15, but anyway, every year I go camping at a particular state park. Boy do they got squirrels everywhere. I think they are Tree Squirrels. Is it ok to shoot them as long as you have hunting license? Should I go ask the Park Ranger? If he says no then I don't want to open up a can of worms here. I got a copy of CA Reg Mammal Hunting booklet 09-10 and it does say you can hunt Tree Squirrels as long as it falls in the area specified. The campground does and it is a state park. So would I be able to shoot them on my campground if I see one scurry away?

Thanks in advance.

Other than "Tree" and "Ground" what is the difference between Tree Squirrels and Ground Squirrels?.

As far as I've understood, hunting isn't allowed in state or national parks, with a few exceptions. You can however hunt in state or national forests unless it says otherwise.

As for the squirrels, all the ground squirrels I see are the ones that you see in the pics. Tree squirrels are larger and have bushy tails. They're the typical thing you think of when you think of a squirrel.

SexPistol
07-19-2010, 7:17 PM
Nice shooting. FYI, the term "Clips" is not correct. Refer to them as "Magazines or Mags".

Just sayin! :D

I know I just wanted it to sound more dramatic haha

Cire 5th- I don't really know much aside the fact you can only Hunt at State and National parks if they don't have signs around prohibiting hunting or fire arms and for me it's been hard to find a park like that.

sevensix2x51
07-19-2010, 7:19 PM
As for the squirrels, all the ground squirrels I see are the ones that you see in the pics. Tree squirrels are larger and have bushy tails. They're the typical thing you think of when you think of a squirrel.
unless youre from san diego... i dont think ive ever seen a tree squirrel in real life.... :D

SexPistol
07-19-2010, 7:23 PM
My cousin's who live in Livermore had never seen a black tree squirrel till they came out to my place in Mountain View haha