PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to shoot in international waters?

addyyoon
07-19-2010, 3:04 PM
I was wondering if it was legal to go clay shooting in international waters off of Catalina?

stan
07-19-2010, 3:07 PM
I was wondering if it was legal to go clay shooting in international waters off of Catalina?

how far off catalina? pretty sure that anything that qualifies as "international waters" is not anywhere near close enough to the island to be called 'off catalina'.

take a look at this map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Internationalwaters.png

addyyoon
07-19-2010, 3:09 PM
Haha good to know. That's what I get for listening to my friend who lives there. Said it was only a mile out. Fail.

addyyoon
07-19-2010, 3:12 PM
In that case, is it legal to shoot off a boat?

Geo
07-19-2010, 3:14 PM
Yes and yes.

orangeusa
Don't the cruise lines offer clay shooting?

sniper4usmc
I shot many rounds off USS Essex in Deployment@international water

addyyoon
07-19-2010, 3:25 PM
But are you allowed to shoot near Catalina? I'm going to assume that we won't be in int'l waters

stan
07-19-2010, 3:32 PM
Haha good to know. That's what I get for listening to my friend who lives there. Said it was only a mile out. Fail.

i used to live there. my advice would be don't shoot while out on the front side - too many people around and too much potential for hassle. go out to the back side of the island and you should be pretty good to go. stay away from the major camp sites like little harbor / shark harbor, isthmus, ben weston, and you should be fine.

Adub
07-19-2010, 3:34 PM
Are boat gun laws the same as in road vehicles?

Big Jake
07-19-2010, 3:46 PM
It must be twelve miles away from land. Catalina Island is land so twelve mile out from there and you are ok!

POLICESTATE
07-19-2010, 3:49 PM
Yarrr!!!!!! :43:

TurboChrisB
07-19-2010, 3:51 PM
From either end ( Avalon or Isthmus/Two Harbors) you can motor around the back side (which is totally unpopulated) in less than an hour or so...then just run a mile off or so and you will be ALL by your self...we used to throw a couple of boxes out in the water and shoot full auto back in the day....(10 years ago) and we would RARELY see another boat and if we did it was not hard to move a bit and be all alone again.

develown
07-19-2010, 3:57 PM
I just did a bit of research into this.

From my understanding of law while on the high seas you are subject to the laws of what ever country your vessel is registered. Furthermore, if you for instance had a fist fight with some one in international waters, the victims country has to right to prosecute you if they want.

In addition, there are special provisions for things such as piracy and drug smuggling which any nation can prosecute.

However, I think there is a loop hole. If you bring enough material to make a raft on your trip into the great unknown and build this raft; then sail off a ways from your ship you will be in an unregistered vessel. Furthermore, as long as your just shooting targets there will be no victim, henceforth you will be un-prosecutable. Although, if your going to go through all this trouble you might as well gamble and start monkey knife fights while your out there to make the most of it.

I think there is an easier solution though. All states have some sort of law that you can shoot on your own property provided you have enough space, IE 1 mile or something like that. Theirs probably a similar provision for shooting at sea. My recommendation, if your serious about it just call the local 5-0 and ask them if its legal to shoot off you boat in a safe direction.

Hope this helps.

Chester
07-19-2010, 4:04 PM
I just did a bit of research into this.

From my understanding of law while on the high seas you are subject to the laws of what ever country your vessel is registered....

Anybody else thinking of registering their boats with Somalia?

If ye not be a man jack who wouldn't keelhaul his own grandmother fer the silver in her hair, PM me to join me crew, says I. Ask fer "Chesterbeard".

Farquaad
07-19-2010, 4:11 PM
However, I think there is a loop hole. If you bring enough material to make a raft on your trip into the great unknown and build this raft; then sail off a ways from your ship you will be in an unregistered vessel.

Unfortunately being on a unregistered vessel is an international crime but I like the way you think.

POLICESTATE
07-19-2010, 4:19 PM
Unfortunately being on a unregistered vessel is an international crime but I like the way you think.

I spit on international law. American Empire Uber Alles! :D

develown
07-19-2010, 4:24 PM
I think the question we should be asking out self is how deep does America go?

Perhaps if you dig to the center of the earth you will be in international dirt and you can do what ever you want.

Cali-Shooter
07-19-2010, 4:38 PM
Although, if your going to go through all this trouble you might as well gamble and start monkey knife fights while your out there to make the most of it.

:D Good thinking, use your freedom

addyyoon
07-19-2010, 4:46 PM
Haha thanks for the great responses guys. I'll definitely look into those monkey knife fights. Furious George is my prized chimp and hasn't been in a good match up for years ;] I'll let you know once I get the info to see if it's legal or not

Brianguy
07-19-2010, 9:43 PM
fishing with dynamite? :)

Dingotech
07-20-2010, 7:58 AM
Avoid shooting near San Clemente Island.

cannon
07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
If you register your boat/vessel internationally as opposed to the state you live in. You can have machine guns and up to 5 in. deck guns on your ship. You must secure the arms when in port. :chris:

P.S. You can get that registration done at the Coast Gaurd office in Ventura.

dmcag69
07-20-2010, 8:48 PM
Simple answer, contact the COAST GUARD, they are the law enforcement you will likely encounter.

ETD1010
07-20-2010, 9:14 PM
Avoid shooting near San Clemente Island.

SO true. i was on a dive boat there in August of '08, anchored a couple thousand yards off shore. Watched as two Navy boats opened fire about 800 yards off our starboard at the island w/ tracers. .30 cal, .50 cal, 20mm.. it was epic....

dirtracer24
07-20-2010, 9:42 PM
similar question but a little more local than international waters. A few years ago while night fishing on the delta outside stockton we were hassled by some drunks on a ski boat. They then tryed to ram my boat with thiers, I was able to out manuver them and get away just fine luckily.
Question. Is it legal to carry a firearm while not hunting? And if so can the gun be loaded and ready to go?
I think one shot of 00 buck would have stopped these idiots and would make them think twice about ever messin with sportsmen again.

TurboChrisB
07-20-2010, 9:55 PM
A boat is like a house. You can live on it...you can use it on your taxes as a vacation home (as long as it's self contained - bathroom, kitchen, stove etc) you can ABSOLUTELY have a gun on board and defend it as you would any residence you own.

dirtracer24
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
i dont have a house boat though, just an aluminum fishing/duck boat and a ski boat.

santacruzstefan
07-20-2010, 11:20 PM
If you register your boat/vessel internationally as opposed to the state you live in. You can have machine guns and up to 5 in. deck guns on your ship. You must secure the arms when in port. :chris:

P.S. You can get that registration done at the Coast Gaurd office in Ventura.

Really? Where'd you find this info at? Also, where could one get some 5 in. deck guns?

cannon
07-21-2010, 6:20 AM
Really? Where'd you find this info at? Also, where could one get some 5 in. deck guns?

I haven't a clue on where one could buy a 5 in deck gun.

My buddy found this while reading the Federal statutes at work. So while we were in Ventura we stopped in at the Coast Gaurd.

Interesting thing to see. He asked for the paperwork and the CG guy pulled it right out and they began the process like it was nothing unusual. It went well until the CG guy asked the size of the "ship" When it came out that it was an 11 foot canoe...

Interestingly there is no minimum size for international registration and the CG called D.C. Who said no registration for a ship that was human paddle powered.

As we all know here. Laws have gaps.

toopercentmlk
07-21-2010, 5:29 PM
I haven't a clue on where one could buy a 5 in deck gun.

My buddy found this while reading the Federal statutes at work. So while we were in Ventura we stopped in at the Coast Gaurd.

Interesting thing to see. He asked for the paperwork and the CG guy pulled it right out and they began the process like it was nothing unusual. It went well until the CG guy asked the size of the "ship" When it came out that it was an 11 foot canoe...

Interestingly there is no minimum size for international registration and the CG called D.C. Who said no registration for a ship that was human paddle powered.

As we all know here. Laws have gaps.

LOLOLO

Cokebottle
07-21-2010, 5:35 PM
It must be twelve miles away from land. Catalina Island is land so twelve mile out from there and you are ok!
Or, technically, halfway to Catalina.... it's 26 miles out, so there's a small stretch 2 miles wide that's fair game.

But with the recreational and commercial traffic in the area, not to mention the proximity to the outer oil rigs... I wouldn't do it :D